Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Thought My story could help others!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Thought My story could help others!

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:00 am

Bradley was born at 32 weeks weighing 4lb's 14oz's very good for how early he was..

I had got it into my mind that i wanted to breastfeed before he was born, and his early arival kinda put things into prosepctive ealier than planned. I never got to do the first feed which is most important to a prem baby, bradley went straight onto scbu and on to a ventalator(sp), he was quite poorly. I didnt realise how poorly he actually was till he was 12 hours old, i had hand expressed my first feed for him expecting him to be able to take it but i got the shock of my life when he was covered in tubes and wires etc, The nurses took my milk and froze it and told me to carry on expressing if i wanted him to ebm.
Bradley came off the ventaltor at 11 days old and went on to cpap, he didnt stay on this for very long at all..

Bradley was nearly 3 weeks old before he finally got milk, he had been fed using a high glucose drip for the first 3 weeks into a line through his belly button ( this is called a long line)

When he was 19 days old he got his first does of ebm through a nasel gastric tube, it was a while before he went onto decent feeds, he started at 0.1 ml and this increased every day until he was able to feed properly!
he was still quite week to attempt to feed from me, but at this pont i was pumping 4oz's so i had plenty.

When bradley was 24 days old, he had his first feed from mummy, not very long mind but it was a start.. At 29 days old bradley came home and was feeding like clockwork from me for 4 days, then he was rushed back into hospital where he was diagnosed with lactose intolarant, so breastfeeding was no longer an option.

Bailey was born at 34+3 days weighing 5lb's

I was very lucky with bailey as he had no intensive help at all, being told he would need a intensive care bed then going to see him and he was breathing on his own was amazing!
I wanted to :boob: bailey with bradley not being able to in the end, so i was really determined, although this time round the nurses wasnt really intrested in helping me pump whilst bailey was in scbu, so i sttod my ground and hand expressed until i had enough to take up to bailey, at 3 days old he was tried on the breast, he didnt take to it very well, but we carried on, he was being fed through tube through his nose as his feeding from me wasnt sufficient enough!
Anyway bailey continued to having breastfeeds from me and they went from the odd 2 mins to full on 15 mins in a matter of days.
When bailey was 12 days old he came home, he had jaundice for ages and thats normal in prem babys who breastfeed,
He has continued to carry on breastfeeding to my amazment after all the probs we have encountered.. im planning on feeding him till he weans himself off..

What im trying to say is, if breastfeeding is what you want to do, it doesnt matter how learly your baby is you can do it.. :boob:

Last edited by on Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:47 pm; edited 4 times in total

Back to top Go down

default Re: Thought My story could help others!

Post by Chelle7 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:01 pm

Hi,
I totally agree with you that breastfeeding is possible no matter how early or sick your baby is. My 2 youngest babies were both premature.
Beth, now 2 was 12 weeks early born @ 28 weeks and weighing 2lbs 12ozs. She was taken to ICU when she was born, by emergency section, and although tiny, did not require ventilation or any kind of support to breathe. which is practically unheard of in a baby so early and tiny!

I started to express my milk ASAP and quickly built up a good store. She was fed 0.5ml every half hour at first, gradually increasing it to 1ml and so on. The staff encouraged me to have as much 'Kangaroo care' as possible. (This involves placing baby down your top for skin to skin contact) which helps baby to recognise Mum's smell and closeness to help establish breastfeeding when baby learns to suck.

The midwives did keep saying to me that she would not be ready to suck until she was at least 33 weeks, but I insisited that I try her as her little mouth seemd to be sucking when she was getting milk through her nasal gastric tube. I tried to feed Beth at 30 weeks and she fed like a dream for an hour on both sides, afterwards she was completely zonked, I think from having both a full tummy and from working so hard being so tiny!

Every day I went in and breastfed her most of the day, obviously I couldn't feed her overnight so they continued to feed her by tube, but as soon as they were confident that she was an established feeder we got her home. She was 5 weeks old and weighed only 3lbs 8oz , the breasfeeding continued for about another 6 weeks, but because her weight gain was slow they had to prescribe as special prem baby supplement formula so I had to stop.

Zachary my youngest baby was 13 weeks early @ 27 weeks weighed 2lbs 6ozs and was ventilated soon after birth. After a few day he was taken off it and put onto the CPAP to which he became addicted to. (This is a tube which only partially supports their breathing giving them an extra boost so they don't get too tired)

The feeding ,however went pretty much the same as Beth he tolerated the milk no bother and it was increased rapidly. He just could not seem to breate without the CPAP.

Again I did as much skin to skin as possible spending hours with him down my front. This has also been proved to regulate and stabilise baby's breathing and help them come off CPAPs, which was the case with Zach, as after a 5 hour session down my top one day(I was becoming really frustrated and eager for him to come off it, so he could progress to SCBU) They tried him off it and he never looked back!

He took to the breast really well and put weight on rapid too, unlike his sister.
He is still feeding well and is nearly a year old and doesn't seem to want to stop. for which I am realy glad as he is my 7th baby and my last and my heart sinks at the thought of stopping.

I fear that the nursery teachers may have a 37 year old resident
as Zach starts when he is 3 because I will just want to nurse him forever!

Sorry I have went on, but like you I wanted to share my story with you , in the hope that it shows any Mum's of little prem babies that it is indeed possible to breastfeed them. It helps them get better, stronger and is ideal for their delicate little tummys.

love to all xx

Chelle7

Female Number of posts : 148
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-10-03

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/features/display.var.1494973.0.our

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:36 pm

Fiona- Thank you!

Yes, I think this is fantastic idea, and we will make it sticky, so it will not get lost and we all can read your beautiful stories and leanr thru them. :aww:

:boob:

Chelle7- Thank you!

What a fantastic person you are and so determined and strong! :aww:
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:38 pm

They are really inspiring stories - well done to you both!

Thankyou for sharing :group hug:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:49 pm

Thank you both for your inspiring, wonderful stories! :aww:

You both should give yourselves a big pat on the back, what fantastic mommies we have here!!!
:cheer:

Thank you Fiona and Chelle for telling us your stories :flower1:

cheers

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:25 pm

As the others have said, thankyou for sharing your wonderful stories and well done! :aww:
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:22 pm

Well done to both of u for being so strong at a difficult time in ur lives - u both knew what was best for ur babies- hopefully ur stories will be inspiration for other mummies; particularly pregnant ones who visit this forum!
:aww:
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Loubie on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:22 pm

It's lovely to hear successful breastfeeding stories of pre-term babies. My little boy was born at 34 weeks at 4 lbs 11oz, he was tube fed for 10 days with ebm. Whilst trying in between to establish breastfeeding directly, I encountered problems in that is sucking mechanism wasnt mature and although it began to improve my nipples didnt seem to protrude enough for him to latch on and keep on. My nipple's are fairly flat, therefore I bought some nipple shields, which seemed to have more of an impact with James latching on and sucking. I found they became very tricky to use as a perminant fixture as they needed to be held in place. When James came home 2 weekes after being in the SCBU he became unwell and started choking. Once in A & E we found his blood sugar was very very low as a result of not feeding properly. After coming home I started writing down times and length that he was feeding and he barley latched onto the nipple guard and only fed for 5 mins at a time. He was taken back into hospital with low blood sugar. After then, I rented a electric breast pump, which was a little expensive but worth while. I was soon manufacturing more milk than robert wiseman. I used the breast pump for 4 months, whilst repeatedely putting James on the breast but he never latched on and fed as he should have. I was extremely upset that I was unable to feed James, although there seemed to be no reason why he wasnt eating enough. Once he began to bottle feed ebm he put on weight and was a happier baby. I honestly dont know what else I could have done, I am very pro breastfeeding and feel let down with something I believe in so much. Im truly glad to hear other mothers with successful outcomes, it's reasuring.

Loubie

Number of posts : 2
Tell us about yourself : I will be applying to university to become a student midwife, shortly. I am very pro-breastfeeding, I have a two-year old who I struggled to breastfeed as he was a pre-term baby. I have however since been interested in similar stories, and i hope to help other mums who struggle like i did.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:08 pm

Loubie wrote:It's lovely to hear successful breastfeeding stories of pre-term babies. My little boy was born at 34 weeks at 4 lbs 11oz, he was tube fed for 10 days with ebm. Whilst trying in between to establish breastfeeding directly, I encountered problems in that is sucking mechanism wasnt mature and although it began to improve my nipples didnt seem to protrude enough for him to latch on and keep on. My nipple's are fairly flat, therefore I bought some nipple shields, which seemed to have more of an impact with James latching on and sucking. I found they became very tricky to use as a perminant fixture as they needed to be held in place. When James came home 2 weekes after being in the SCBU he became unwell and started choking. Once in A & E we found his blood sugar was very very low as a result of not feeding properly. After coming home I started writing down times and length that he was feeding and he barley latched onto the nipple guard and only fed for 5 mins at a time. He was taken back into hospital with low blood sugar. After then, I rented a electric breast pump, which was a little expensive but worth while. I was soon manufacturing more milk than robert wiseman. I used the breast pump for 4 months, whilst repeatedely putting James on the breast but he never latched on and fed as he should have. I was extremely upset that I was unable to feed James, although there seemed to be no reason why he wasnt eating enough. Once he began to bottle feed ebm he put on weight and was a happier baby. I honestly dont know what else I could have done, I am very pro breastfeeding and feel let down with something I believe in so much. Im truly glad to hear other mothers with successful outcomes, it's reasuring.
wow. thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! You are great mama, well done :aww:
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:02 pm

:aww: I agree thank you!

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:46 pm

Loubie well done for being so determind to feed you little one after going through so much, thank you for sharing :aww:
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top