Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Milk supply vanishing with return of period hellppppp

View previous topic View next topic Go down

topic2 Milk supply vanishing with return of period hellppppp

Post by GemGibb on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi All
Im a new mum to Isaac, 10 weeks old.. We both took straight away to breast feeding, was great that he was born raring to go but since the return of my periods ive noticed a huge drop in my milk supply, lately its been getting me down as hes having a growth spurt and i feel he isnt getting enough from me, ive been struggling to keep up with his demands and as much as my husband tries to reassure me i feel like im failing my precious little boy Sad
I didnt really have much support at the hospital and since we came home ive seen my health visitor once, im lost and struggling, Any ideas
Id really appreciate any comments
Love to all mummys and babas
xxxx

GemGibb

Female Number of posts : 14
Tell us about yourself : Im 26 years old, have my 2nd gorgeous son Isaac (my first son Ryan died aged 3) Love being a mummy again, trying my best to do everything right for Isaac as hes my world Smile
Your mood today : Upset
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2011-06-29

Back to top Go down

topic2 Re: Milk supply vanishing with return of period hellppppp

Post by salj1980 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi Gem, welcome! Poor you getting your periods back so soon! I found that my supply dropped too when mine came back, but fortunately it wasn't so early on for us.

One thing that really helps boost your supply is oats, so tuck in to those flapjacks (and porridge too though it's probably a bit warm for that at the moment!).

Keep putting Isaac to the breast freequently too...the more he suckles the more it will stimulate your production, and as he's coming up for a growth spurt soon (3 months) he will probably initiate this himself anyway.

Is there any way you can just spend a couple of days snuggled up in bed with him feeding as much as possible? Again, probably a bit warm for it now but if you can get loads of skin to skin this will help up your supply.

I'd also make an appointment to see your HV...I know they don't always get a good reputation but mine is very pro-BFing and very helpful and supportive - hopefully yours will too!

Finally - you are definitely not failing Isaac, you have given him the best start possible, congratulations!

(PS I love the name Isaac, it would have been on our list if close friends hadn't just picked it for their baby!)

salj1980

Female Number of posts : 84
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Huw, born Nov '09. He's the light of my life!
Thanks and Reputation points : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by GemGibb on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:23 pm

Thank you sooo much, I had a 2 day snuggle session last week with him, my doctor told me he was going through an early growth spurt so we spent 2 days just nursing which was great but draining and it really didnt seem to make much difference to my supply, does it take awhile for my body to realise he needs more ? Ive done lots of research but it seems to be every mummy is different and its all on the body to do what it does best.
I have been so close to switching him to formula and had to really argue with myself to keep going as i really want whats best for him.

It took us until few weeks before he arrived to pick his name we just couldnt decide but i think it suits him perfectly thank you Smile

GemGibb

Tell us about yourself : Im 26 years old, have my 2nd gorgeous son Isaac (my first son Ryan died aged 3) Love being a mummy again, trying my best to do everything right for Isaac as hes my world Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi welcome to the forum! One thought that came to me do you keep him on one side until it is drained before you switch? that might help? you are right and every mummys body is different as is every baby! the first few months are the most difficult as both you and baby are geting to know each other and forming your own pattern It may take a while to settle. I hope things work out for you xx
oh are you eating well too? if youre anything like me your eating habits change dramatically around my period!
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by salj1980 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi Gem, how are you and Isaac getting on now?

salj1980

Back to top Go down

Post by GemGibb on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:33 pm

Hiii, Sorry had a very stressful week and it wasnt over feeding which is a good thing, Me and Isaac have been having an ok time with feeding, Im eating really well and drinking lots, Isaac is still demanding alot but my supply has picked back up again so im coping quite well again just really dreading the next period coming... Ive expressed some milk and hes having 1 bottle at night to get him off to sleep as he doesnt like to go to bed after he has breast and it seems to be working and im a day ahead on the expressing which could prove to be a good thing for when the period comes as ill hopefully have enough stored to keep him satisfied(fingers crossed for me ladies)
Thank you both for your support and ideas i really appreciate everything Very Happy
xxx

GemGibb

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:23 am

glad things are working out for you and hope your stressfull week is over now! Very Happy
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by GemGibb on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Well my supply seems to have practically disappeared, im so depressed about it, really wanted this to work out im very proud to have made it to 3 months but im sort of swaying towards switching to formula Sad x

GemGibb

Back to top Go down

Post by salj1980 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:35 am

Oh no! How does Isaac seem to be coping with it? Could it just be that your body has adjusted to supply and demand and is only making what's needed now? Rather than just making loads all the time like in the early days? xx

salj1980

Back to top Go down

Post by GemGibb on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Im beside myself, Isaac just seems to be hungry all the time and my boobs dont feel like they are filling or even have anything in them, ive spoke to 2 health visitors, they both recommended things ive already tried like taking him back to the same boob to make sure hes got the fatty milk and having like a feeding day in bed etc but nothing seems to be changing, ive been told about some herbal tablets called fenugreek they are supposed to up the supply i might try them, im at a complete brick wall Sad xx

GemGibb

Back to top Go down

Post by salj1980 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:12 pm

hug3 Have you looked at the kellymom site? Her page on supply issues might have some more ideas for you http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

salj1980

Back to top Go down

Post by GemGibb on Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks you ill have a look through the site xx

GemGibb

Back to top Go down

Post by GemGibb on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:17 pm

Having a really tough day today, Isaac has been crying most of the day, ive tried everything to try and soothe him he was even refusing boob which he never does Sad hes sobbed himself out of energy and fell asleep but is very restless and unsettled, im beside myself with guilt as i dont know what else to try, he had his 2nd lot of imms on thursday but im not sure if it is because of that or because of his gums as he seems to be chewing his fist alot any ideas??
xx

GemGibb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top