Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Night weaning but still cosleeping?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Night weaning but still cosleeping?

Post by Veron on Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi
My lo is now 13 months old and feeds constantly during the night. I'd like to conceive again but have not gotten my periods back yet and I think it's because she feeds so often. So after 4 months of TTC and no luck, we decided that night weaning may be the only solution.
Has anyone any experience of successful night weaning?

I'm dreading starting the weaning. Even for naps, I'm in the bed with her the entire time. I snuck out yesterday for one nap and she got very upset when she woke and discovered I was gone.

I don't know if I should leave the room entirely and let DH settle her or just move to the outside of the bed. We have a cot with the side off between the bed and the wall and she sleeps there with me beside her.
We all love cosleeping so don't want to move her out of the room completely.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Veron

Female Number of posts : 17
Tell us about yourself : Nursing, co sleeping and wearing. First daughter and hopefully more in the future. Loving my new life!
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Back to top Go down

default Re: Night weaning but still cosleeping?

Post by Natasha on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:18 pm

eeek sorry i was meant to reply to this yesterday!

I can understand your frustration, DD is nearly 21 months old, my AF still is not here and she feeds as much as she did when she was teeny! except the night feeds have really lessened over the past 6 months ( I don't tell OH that )

When she was a year old she was waking 6 times or more a night, we co sleep so it isn't such a problem, but i wanted my fertitlity to return to normal and to have some uninterrupted sleep!

I tried to wean her in the night, i put a little toddler mattress next to ours (we all sleep on the floor ) and as soon as she fell asleep I just shifter her over, and it worked well actually and she did sleep longer.

But when she went through another growth spurt she was up all the time so I gave up and just carried on the way we were.

I dunno I have got past the stage of trying to wean now and shes now very content and has managed to somewhat night wean herself (well for at least 6 hours straight) and theres been no stress this way.

I can understand your frustration very much, there is no magic remedy in this situation imho.

You also need to take into consideration that getting rid of the night feeds may not even help bring back fertility? Yes the prolactin levels are at their highest (which is why people reccommend night weaning) but I have known and read many that it did ot work with.

From what i can gather even cutting out and making spaces between day feeds can be easily done (distraction) have you tried spacing feeds?

It might be an idea when she is in deep sleep to maybe swap with your partner and try this for a few nights and see how you go?

Take a look here too
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html

I know it says in the link to max up the feeds in the day (when I said space) but it you do decide to space in the day you could try lots of feeds say an hour before bed?

Hope that helps a little! Smile

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Veron on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Thanks for that link. I have scoured Kellymom now for every idea.

You are right too that af may not come back even with the night weaning. I tried spacing feeds during the day when dd hit 1 year. Had several gaps of 4 hours. So the night weaning is the second idea. DD always takes the boob when napping at home.
I'm feeling my age might be hindering the quick return too. My dh is also broody and I feel a bit under pressure.

Ah, if only mother nature had a manual and a guarantee! I don't want to wean dd completely just on the off chance of another pregnancy. But that's further down the road anyway.

DH is going to swap sides with me tonight when we go to bed so we will see how dd gets on. I have a feeling she'll be angry about the change.

Veron

Tell us about yourself : Nursing, co sleeping and wearing. First daughter and hopefully more in the future. Loving my new life!

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:33 pm

I can totally understand your reasons, try not to fret and try and be as relaxed as you can about it.

Let me know how the swapping goes, if she is in deep sleep and can't 'smell' you then she may take longer to wake, hopefully this works!

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Veron on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi,

Just thought I'd wait a few nights to make sure that I wasn't writing about a fluke. I'm amazed how well she took to the night weaning. She must have been ready afterall.

I began by feeding her at her normal bedtime and when she stopped actively sucking, I unlatched her and let DH stay with her until she fell asleep. A minute or two of protests and she figured it out and went to sleep. She did wake up frequently that night and I nursed her twice, more for my own comfort. DH now sleeps in the middle of us.

The following nights, she has slept for longer and quickly goes back to sleep with DH comforting her. I've given her 1 feed during the night and again, it's more for my comfort as she doesn't even take that much. If I wasn't prone to blocked ducts, I could probably cut that one out too. That is the plan though.

Thanks for the help. i know it's still early days but so far, so good. She's the same happy girl during the day and not crying herself to sleep either so I'm chuffed.

I've my fingers crossed that ovulation will start for me but mother nature may have other ideas. I'll give this new situation a chance first. DD is on about 4 or 5 feeds a day this way so maybe it'll work. Kellymom really is a mine of information. I'm still wading through all the articles there.

Veron

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:37 am

Yey so pleased your doing so well

Just take each day as it comes, and don't be disapointed if one night she goes back to her old feed routine.. this will quickly pass. She may do this uring growth spurts or illness.

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top