Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

well, i guess i am here......

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default well, i guess i am here......

Post by kay on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:46 pm

as you will know by now, Frankie is in SCBU and being tube fed at the moment as he has another infection.
He was on intavenus (SP!) fluids for the first week, and was slowly weaned from that to EBM through a tube.
He is now on 66ml of EBM 3 hourly, but has lost weight, going from 6lb 15 born, to 6lb 8 yesterday. they have said this is because he has been so poorly.
He hasnt been waking for feeds as he is already full from his tube feed, so they have been concerned about his lack of interest in feeding. I have asked about changing his feeds to 4 hourly so that he is feeling hungrier, but until he has started to gain some weight they dont want to do this, which i do understand.

he will latch on and suck, but gets very tired very quickly, so ends up being topped up with the tube feed. some feed times he isnt interested in latching at all Neutral
At the moment i cant keep up with his supply needs, which i feel awful about. he is having EBM all through the day and a couple at night, but after this, he has to have formula as they have no donor milk available. I am expressing 3 hourly day and night and getting 40-50 ml a time, where as he is having 66ml every 3 hours.
at the end of the day, i am looking at it that i am doing my best, and without the top-up he wouldnt be getting what he needs. with all of the stress and worry and lack of sleep i am going through at the moment, i m proud i have managed to pump so much for him, and there have been many times when i have been in tears and thought about just giving him a teat, especially as it might encourage him to feed orally more and get him better and out of there quicker.
I know deep down this isnt the solution, but i keep thinking if i can just get him home, i can do the hard work then.
Sorry, i am rambling, but i just need to get this all out, and i feel so guilty that i cant provide what he needs Crying or Very sad
I have been taking fenugreek and milk thistle, but have stopped these now just in case these come through in my milk and might be affecting him in some way. i know that sounds silly too, but he has been so poorly, I am trying to eliminate anything that might affect him.
I know the formula wont help nesseccarily, but he is digesting it well, not bringing it back up, and he is probably on 3/4 ebm, 1/4 formula in a day, and it is providing what i cant.
The nurses are all inspired by my determination and say how well i am doing with him, especially when i take my spiderman cool bag in each morning with all my overnight ebm in Razz they say how so many women have given up by now. my feelings are tho that he is poorly, and my milk is the best thing to help him recover. I have asked if the formula will set him back at all / not be halping, but they have assured me it is fine for him.
i just wish someone would wave a magic wand and make the guilt go away - like i dont have enough on my plate Crying or Very sad

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

default Re: well, i guess i am here......

Post by angpixi on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 am

hug2 Kay youre fantastic, theres no need to feel any guilt youre doing the best you can for your little man and thats all anyone can ask
lots of love to you and yours xxxx
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Oh Kay as Ang has said you are doing your best!

Its a shame there isn't donor milk available but you are doing all you can hun and thats great.

I hope you get him home soon I love you

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by indigosky2k on Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:39 pm

Kay you're doing an amazing job hug2 there's no need to feel guilty. IMO it's for occasions like this formula is an important and beneficial supplement.

I hope he is improving hun and is home to you all soon I love you

indigosky2k

Female Number of posts : 182
Tell us about yourself : I'm a SAHM to Kacie aged 10.5 months. I'm very into an AP way of life, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. We're coming up to one year and I'm looking for places where I won't be looked down on for extended breastfeeding. I have no intention of weaning until Kacie wants to. We're also traying to conceive baby no. 2, so really hoping to tandam feed and will be looking for support to do this too.
Your mood today : Sick
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:30 pm

indigosky2k wrote:Kay you're doing an amazing job hug2 there's no need to feel guilty. IMO it's for occasions like this formula is an important and beneficial supplement.

I hope he is improving hun and is home to you all soon I love you

Agree with Davina hug2

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:41 pm

thankyou all hug2

we have had a better day today, he has latched on well for 3 feeds, and been topped up via tube later on. he actually woke up crying for 2 of them , so thats an improvement!

I had a really good chat to his nurse today and the consultant about his feeding, armed with all of the info i have learned off here in the last 3 years Wink and they were very impressed with my knowledge Laughing
They are basically saying he is not waking for feeds at night, but in the day he is, and its not normal.
I pointed out he is having breasfeeds and EBM in the day, but formula through the night. as formula takes longer to digest, he wont be waking as he is tube fed every 3 hours. in the day however, he digests the ebm quicker, and therefore feels hungrier by the 3 hourly feed slot.
they finally saw what i was saying and agreed! cheers
so they are no longer worrying about him sleeping through the night, and they are saving the ebm for the 7.30 feed so he should hopefully be hungrier by the time i get in for the 10.30 feed in the morning.

all of his tests so far are negative, and they are much happier with him today. just hope we dont have a backward day tomorrow!

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:49 am

hug2 good luck for today, i hope its a good one! well done for talking to the medical staff hug3
angpixi

Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:12 am

kay wrote:thankyou all hug2

we have had a better day today, he has latched on well for 3 feeds, and been topped up via tube later on. he actually woke up crying for 2 of them , so thats an improvement!

I had a really good chat to his nurse today and the consultant about his feeding, armed with all of the info i have learned off here in the last 3 years Wink and they were very impressed with my knowledge Laughing
They are basically saying he is not waking for feeds at night, but in the day he is, and its not normal.
I pointed out he is having breasfeeds and EBM in the day, but formula through the night. as formula takes longer to digest, he wont be waking as he is tube fed every 3 hours. in the day however, he digests the ebm quicker, and therefore feels hungrier by the 3 hourly feed slot.
they finally saw what i was saying and agreed! cheers
so they are no longer worrying about him sleeping through the night, and they are saving the ebm for the 7.30 feed so he should hopefully be hungrier by the time i get in for the 10.30 feed in the morning.

all of his tests so far are negative, and they are much happier with him today. just hope we dont have a backward day tomorrow!

Well done Kay!!! sooo proud of you hug3

I hope things continue to improve!!

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:47 am

Kay do not feel guilty you are amazing and should be so proud of yourself hug2
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by gem1981 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:19 am

You are doing an amazing job Kay hug2 I hope Frankie continues to improve and is home with his loving family really soon xxxxxxxxx

gem1981

Female Number of posts : 1459
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by kaygeebee on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:50 pm

Oh Kay, I can't tell you how familiar your story sounds! You are doing absolutely the best you can for your little man - don't you dare feel guilty for one second.

Owen was tube fed formula in SCBU before my milk came in as he was seriously dehydrated. We then had trouble with him latching etc. We introduced a teat to make things easier for everyone. We had latching problems initially and I could only get him to latch for the odd feed. When I left hospital he was pretty much on exclusive EBM from a bottle. Over the next week or so after that at home I got him to latch more and more often, and he was taking less of a bottle top up each time, until he finally started feeding properly.

You are doing absolutely the right thing - and you are right to stop the fenugreek too and let your body do its thing. Once Frankie is home you'll be able to regulate your supply to his needs, and you'll quickly be able to cut down on any top ups - formula or EBM. Once you start feeding exclusive EBM for a few weeks there is no difference between a baby that's had just EB and one that has had some formula - so please don't feel guilty about doing the best you can for your son.

BIG HUGS. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

kaygeebee

Female Number of posts : 127
Tell us about yourself : mum to a little boy, born August 2009
Your mood today : Bored
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:20 pm

Thankyou everyone!! hug2

well, my plan worked, and he was wide awake for his 10 am feed today! He has had exclusive BREASTFEEDING feeds all day!!!! cheers he has latched on and emptied a boob at each feed, with a couple of comfort feeds in between. he had one 20ml tube top up in the middle of the day just to make sure he is getting plenty, but i dont think he really needed it tbh.
I requested his tube be taken out, as he was pulling it out anyway, so they are going to try and cup feed him overnight. if they cant get him to cupo feed, they will re-tube him until morning when i get there and take it out again. He has 250 ml ebm for overnight, which means he will only need one of his feeds topped up with formula, so thats great too.
I am taking an overnight bag in tomorrow, if tomorrow is as good as today, i can stay in the parent room with him so he can exclusively BF day and night. IF (and its an if, i know not to raise my hopes in there now!!) he continues as he is, he may be home at weekend, but this is mainly dependant on his weight, as he has gone from 6 15 to 6 8 and not regained anything yet - they are weighing him overnight tonight.

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by kaygeebee on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:22 pm

That's FANTASTIC news Kay - you are doing SO well - Well done you and well done Frankie!!

clap clap cheers cheers clap clap

kaygeebee

Female Number of posts : 127
Tell us about yourself : mum to a little boy, born August 2009
Your mood today : Bored
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:18 am

I have just phoned.

He has gained weight (80g) and has cup fed all night cheers

they have asked me to take my overnight bag in clap clap clap
thankyou so much for your words of support girls, i really was going to give up if he didnt latch yesterday!

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:13 am

That is fantastic cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:27 am

clap clap clap fantastic news! hug3
angpixi

Back to top Go down

Post by salj1980 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:58 am

Woooooo, that's great news! xxx cheers

salj1980

Female Number of posts : 84
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Huw, born Nov '09. He's the light of my life!
Thanks and Reputation points : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:38 pm

I've only just seen this Kay... This was very much me when Lil miss was born...Only the doctors at the hospital were adamant I was wrong and made sure I couldn't leave ebm. I was heartbroken. Having a sick baby is something most people don't understand and caring for one when you have other little ones is equally hard. You are torn between the two. Keep going Kay, he's doing brilliantly and you have so much to be proud of.
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:54 pm

kay wrote:I have just phoned.

He has gained weight (80g) and has cup fed all night cheers

they have asked me to take my overnight bag in clap clap clap
thankyou so much for your words of support girls, i really was going to give up if he didnt latch yesterday!

Oh Kay i am so pleased!!

I hope the over night stay goes well! I love you

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:45 pm

We are home! baybee

the overnight stay went SO well they let us out this afternoon!

He is now exclusive breastfeeding, I am NAK now! lol!

will put some more pics on later, i am trying to get a bath inbetween cluster feeds!

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:49 pm

clap clap flower thats fantastic! hug3
angpixi

Back to top Go down

Post by salj1980 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:47 pm

Yippee!!! cheers

(Had to read that twice, the first time I wondered what you meant by duster feeds! ) Laughing

salj1980

Female Number of posts : 84
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Huw, born Nov '09. He's the light of my life!
Thanks and Reputation points : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top