Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Not sure what's going on or what to do

View previous topic View next topic Go down

topic2 Not sure what's going on or what to do

Post by indigosky2k on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:56 pm

About a month ago I was worried that we were coming to the end of BFing Sad We had one night when I was putting Kacie to bed where she got really hysterical, kept coming on and off the boob, going for her dummy, then asking for more milk and getting hysterical that she didn't seem to be getting any from me Crying or Very sad She finally shook her head at my boob and nodded for a bottle, which she then guzzled and settled straight to sleep Crying or Very sad

I have however continued to feed her 3 or 4 times a day and most of the time she seems satisfied by what she gets, though on the odd occasion, she'll come off, say 'gone' and sign that she still wants more. I then offer her both sides again, but usually she ends up with a bottle.

Over the last couple of days though she has seemed to get more upset when I offer her a BF and run into the kitchen crying and signing for milk. I bring her back, sit her on my knee, at which point she cries and arches back, but then will latch on and feed, or I least I think she does confused Most of these times she goes on to nurse for a while and seems fine after. Tonight she has point blank refused to nurse and has gone to bed having a bottle of milk. To add to my confusion just on Sunday she fed about 5 times through the day, was happy to do so and wasn't bothered about bottles at all. She is usually still falling asleep for her nap after lunch while nursing and comes and asks for more if she wakes too soon.

I really don't want to stop unless she gives it up completely, but I'm not sure how her hit and miss feeding while I'm pregnant will effect my supply. I don't want to lose it altogether because she doesn't feed properly for a couple of days and then she wants to feed, but can't get any as my supply's gone confused

I'm really unclear as to how being pregnant effects the supply/demand side of BFing confused

indigosky2k

Female Number of posts : 182
Tell us about yourself : I'm a SAHM to Kacie aged 10.5 months. I'm very into an AP way of life, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. We're coming up to one year and I'm looking for places where I won't be looked down on for extended breastfeeding. I have no intention of weaning until Kacie wants to. We're also traying to conceive baby no. 2, so really hoping to tandam feed and will be looking for support to do this too.
Your mood today : Sick
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

topic2 Re: Not sure what's going on or what to do

Post by Natasha on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:15 am

Ooo Davina does this relate?

The production of breastmilk depends upon adequate emptying of the breasts, but the supply and demand regulation of milk supply does not usually hold up when faced with the hormonal changes of pregnancy. The decrease in milk production usually occurs despite continued or increased nursing frequency, although a minority of pregnant mothers do not experience a decrease in milk supply. Obviously if your child does decrease demand, that will further decrease supply.

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/16milkchanges.html

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by indigosky2k on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Natasha wrote:Ooo Davina does this relate?

The production of breastmilk depends upon adequate emptying of the breasts, but the supply and demand regulation of milk supply does not usually hold up when faced with the hormonal changes of pregnancy. The decrease in milk production usually occurs despite continued or increased nursing frequency, although a minority of pregnant mothers do not experience a decrease in milk supply. Obviously if your child does decrease demand, that will further decrease supply.

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/16milkchanges.html

That's exactly it Natasha.

I've read all the info on Kellymom about pregnancy and BFing and from how I understand it, it doesn't make any difference to your supply how much they feed due to the pregnancy hormones, it decreases any way Sad

I guess what I'm worrying about is that if she keeps skipping feeds my supply will go all together when she clearly isn't ready to stop BFing. I say that because despite the crying on occasion when I go to feed her, first thing in the morning when she wakes up she's quite adamant she's having boob bfing and when she's hurt or tired through the day it's boob she makes obvious she wants. So I don't know whether to be more persistent in offering boob and try to discourage the bottles or just go with it as we are because one thing she does seem always interested in is that first BF of the day. Will this be enough to keep her going till baby arrives? We co-sleep so I think that makes it easier, it's the first thing she see when she rolls over to me Very Happy Mornings when I'm up before her she can go without it when she gets up and comes to me, but I don't mind staying in bed till she wakes up at 8 if it means she'll have her booby milk Wink

indigosky2k

Tell us about yourself : I'm a SAHM to Kacie aged 10.5 months. I'm very into an AP way of life, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. We're coming up to one year and I'm looking for places where I won't be looked down on for extended breastfeeding. I have no intention of weaning until Kacie wants to. We're also traying to conceive baby no. 2, so really hoping to tandam feed and will be looking for support to do this too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:45 pm

That sounds fine hun, if shes having a feed every morning then your likely to be ok then.

I would just keep going with what she is happy with, your likely to encounter dry feeding but once your colostrum kicks back in before baby arrives shes bound to want to get back on as much as she did before.

Don't worry though as it wont help!

There is something called 'milk for two' which I have read to help lots of bfing mums while pregnant and is safe while breastfeeding.

Make sure your eating and drinking lots and get those oats down you too

I love you

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by indigosky2k on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:34 pm

Thanks again Natasha Smile

Well I'm going with the flow when it comes to morning and bedtimes. I think she's just so tired come bedtime that the effort required for me to get a let-down is more than she can handle. I'm therefore feeding her in the evening, sometime after dinner and giving her a bottle for bed. She does have quite a late bedtime of 8:30-9pm and I was thinking if she was earlier to bed her last feed would be around 6:30/7 and that doesn't compromise supply for most mums, so I'll go with that for now. I don't want her get so hysterical and upset when she's supposed to be relaxing and settling down for sleep. Also means I can encourage daddy to bedtimes more Wink Morning does depend on whether she sleeps right through to 8 or wakes at 6, she does seem to be going longer more, but if I'm there she does always have a quick go at a feed.

I have however slightly changed things through the day by going back to offering her more in the morning. I kind of discouraged her mid-morning feed when I was in the first tri, to try and give me more energy as her 6+ feeds a day were exhausting me. So now when I sit down with a brew around half 10 I'm offering her then. She doesn't stay long, too much going on Razz but she has a quick feed and I know she's getting something from the milk left on my nipple when she pops off Smile She's still very keen on her afternoon feed if we're at home, though I had worried slightly about this after we've been out at nap-time for the last few days, and she's really not interested in feeding when we're out as there is just so much else going on. Today however, just now in fact, she has nursed for a good while from both boobs and fell fast asleep doing so I love you I'm so pleased cheers

Guess we'll just take each day as it come for now bfing

indigosky2k

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum