Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

another midwife has made me cross

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default another midwife has made me cross

Post by rhi'smummy on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:07 am

Hi, a friend of mine has is 33 weeks pregnant and in hospital, looks like she's going to have to have her baby any day now and I suggested she might think about expressing some milk. She mentioned it to her midwife who said you should only breastfeed once the baby has been born because of the stages of milk flow. If you've read differently it was probably on some wacky American site...
I cant believe a midwife can say something so stupid!
Anyway I dont suppose anyones got any links to any non wacky american sites to show how ignorant this midwife is, or atleast how out dated her knowledge is?
I'm happy to be told its not necessary, just not that its the wrong type of milk.

rhi'smummy

Female Number of posts : 511
Tell us about yourself : Mum to milk monster Rhianna
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-23

Back to top Go down

default Re: another midwife has made me cross

Post by Natasha on Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Mary you might want to look here to help her for when baby is here.

http://www.bliss.org.uk/page.asp?section=580&sectionTitle=Breastfeeding+your+premature+baby

http://www.breastfedbabies.org/section/ill-or-premature-babies

I can't stop long as I have the girls to sort and we are away, but I have some bits to say when I can Mary.

Very Happy

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:11 am

Thanks, I've passed them on. I also found an NHS web site that recommended pumping milk, so I feel at least I've been shown to be right. That particular midwife is off for 4 days now, I can see why she doesn't want to antagonise the staff, so she said she's going to look into it while she's away.
Her 1st son has terrible exma and asthma so she 's very keen to breastfeed to help that, as well as if its a tiny preemie baby. From what I've heard, as well as my own experience when Rhianna was in the NICU, breast feeding just doesn't seem important, its certainly not encouraged and they dont have up to date information about whats best. Which is rediculous as its the most important thing for a poorly baby!

rhi'smummy

Female Number of posts : 511
Tell us about yourself : Mum to milk monster Rhianna
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:24 am

In NICU they need exact information on what the baby has consumed so breastfeeding is an unknown quantity for them. It scares them and they don't like it. Formula allows them to monitor how much. Also because babies appear to loose weight on breastmilk in those first few days that to them signals --- not getting enough. There's a reason why it's called formula i.e. something scientific.

Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:10 am

Squiglet wrote:In NICU they need exact information on what the baby has consumed so breastfeeding is an unknown quantity for them. It scares them and they don't like it. Formula allows them to monitor how much. Also because babies appear to loose weight on breastmilk in those first few days that to them signals --- not getting enough. There's a reason why it's called formula i.e. something scientific.

Agree with you.

Yeah Mary it is rediculus, best thing for a preemie is breastmilk.

I hope your friend will be well equipt with info and will feel strong enough to battle against (as she may have one) the nurses.

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top