Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

chubby enough or am i being silly?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

topic 6 chubby enough or am i being silly?

Post by bonnymum on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:39 am

hi everyone!

my little girl has stopped feeding a often and im getting heaps more sleep. she is 12 weeks now! the time has gone so fast!! you would think i would feel more relaxed wouldnt you!? however, i have had alot of people telling me that my baby is 'tiny' and so im stressing thats shes too small. she is 5.7 kgs now and she was 4.5 kgs at birth. it took a few weeks for her to gain back her birth weight but from about 4-5 weeks old she started gaining about 200 gms/week. i have told my dr and lactation consultant about my worries and have been told by both that there is no problem and she is perfectly normal. yet, every time i look at my little girl, my eyes avert to her legs and i find myself judging if her skin is firm enough and if she is chubby enough. the silly thing is i know i am probably being stupid but my confidence has been shot down so much by comments from people who don't know what they are talking about that i am finding it hard to believe this. anyway i am wondering if anyone else has been thhrough something similar and if they did anything to increase their 'peace of mind'.

thanks

bonny

bonnymum

Number of posts : 5
Tell us about yourself : I am 20, live in QLD with my partner, 23 and our 8 week old daughter Lily.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2010-07-14

Back to top Go down

topic 6 Re: chubby enough or am i being silly?

Post by angpixi on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:52 am

hug2 dont worry bf babies are quite often less chubby and all babies grow at different rates anyway, as an example my last 2 babies now aged 5 and 2 are comlpetely different shapes aeryn was born skinny so always i had comments about her being small she was a great feeder though! but willow was chubby but very short! as long as your baby is alert and is putting on weight it doesnt matter if theyre a different size
she might always be slim! though my older 2 girls are different, milly was very chubby until abut 4 now shes a stick, and mazza was tiny until a couple of years ago now shes as tall as milly and getting rounder by the day!
hope ive reassured you a little? im not good with technical advice but can share my experiences, i used to get alot of comments about aeryn because shes always been a skinny mini but shes always on the go and was as soon as she could move so, as she was a little and often feeder she was burning off what she ate right away!
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Never judge by weight and chubbiness...judge by alertness, skin condition, bowel movements, nš of wet nappies a day.

The other thing is, the comments you are getting are from people who are conditioned by the look of babies raised in a formula fed society. In general they tend to be over fed and some what weightier in the earlier stages. It then switches as they get older and breast fed babies tend to look heavier than their artificially fed counterparts.

As long as your doctor is on board and your baby is happy, healthy and alert... You have nothing to worry about Smile
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kaygeebee on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:18 pm

Totally agree with what they said. Our paediatrician told us the other day that he wished they would do away with growth charts altogether as they do more harm than good!

My baby has never been 'chubby' and always grows out of clothes lengthwise before they even fit properly round the middle! He's happy and healthy and doing just fine. Very Happy

kaygeebee

Female Number of posts : 127
Tell us about yourself : mum to a little boy, born August 2009
Your mood today : Bored
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:14 pm

Lottie has always been very lean and she diddy too!

But she does have the little chunky thighs, they are adorable!

I haven't had Lottie weighed since her 6 week check up, shes nearly 14 months now Embarassed

Honestly you are doing a fabulous job and i would just keep going with what you feel is right.

I 100% agree with Squiglet!

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

topic 6 Thankyou!

Post by bonnymum on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:38 am

Thanks for all your supportive comments! I am so relieved to hear that I am not the only one who has experienced this. My bub is now 15 weeks old and still slim but is right on the avergae weight for her age. She is happy and alert and in my opinion perfect! It has taken me a while to accept this though and to ignore the negativity from people (an old woman just today asked if my daughter was a premmy baby) I am so so disappointed though that even these days now that we have all this information and doctors tellling us that breastfeeding is the best thing for babies and toddlers and even telling us about the negative effects of formula feeding that people all around the world it seems still have this notion that we should bottle feed to a strict routine and that they should all be little chubbas. I don't know about the rest of you but where i live there is one group for breastfeeding mothers with about 15 women as members and i live in a big city. Im sure there are more but I hardly ever see anyone breastfeeding in parents rooms. It sucks i wish there was more support out there and more open minded people!

bonnymum

Number of posts : 5
Tell us about yourself : I am 20, live in QLD with my partner, 23 and our 8 week old daughter Lily.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2010-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:48 pm

Well this is it though, when you have wonderful adverts produced by s.m.a and apiticrap making it all seem so sweet and nice and so cute. They have their own baby clubs with cute cuddley polar bears and all the information you need to feed your baby, wh wouldn't anyone trust what they say when they seem so friendly Wink

As you can see until the marketing is stopped, correct labeling are put on tins and women are given consistent help and advice from healthcare professionals.

It will sadly stay as it is Crying or Very sad

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top