Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

HEEEEELLLLLLPP!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

topic 10 HEEEEELLLLLLPP!!!!!

Post by indigosky2k on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:59 am

So I just shared this link http://analyticalarmadillo.blogspot.com/2010/08/breastfeeding-sids-guilt-at-what-cost.html on my FB wall, taken from Kellymom's page and have been jumped on by all my FF friends Rolling Eyes (Well not all of them, but a few Razz )

I may have caused more jumping on by adding this comment 'Your baby is twice as likely to die from SIDS if artificially fed!!! That is one harsh fact!!!!!!!!' but seriously when are people going to accept BF is the proper way to feed you child? There's a comment about hating the term 'artifical feeding' but lets face it that's what FF is. One girl whos brother died of SIDS feels like I'm attacking her mother Sad and there's the inevitable 'oh I failed as a mother because I FF'

I'm cross because no one hesitates to jump on the 'Back to Sleep' campaign or 'use a dummy because that reduces SIDS risk' but face them with the cold hard fact about BF and they feel attacked Sad

I have lots of BF FB friends, but they must all still be in bed Rolling Eyes Laughing and I'm struggling to respond to these comments, because I feel as emotive about the subject as they obviously do!

indigosky2k

Female Number of posts : 182
Tell us about yourself : I'm a SAHM to Kacie aged 10.5 months. I'm very into an AP way of life, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. We're coming up to one year and I'm looking for places where I won't be looked down on for extended breastfeeding. I have no intention of weaning until Kacie wants to. We're also traying to conceive baby no. 2, so really hoping to tandam feed and will be looking for support to do this too.
Your mood today : Sick
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

topic 10 Re: HEEEEELLLLLLPP!!!!!

Post by Natasha on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:37 am

I think the fact they are responding in this way is down to guilt and those who may have struggled will feel worse reading something like that.

It always happens, and always will. Although if more milk banks were available so all babies were able to acccess breastmilk (and formula was made non exsistent!) there wouldn't be this breast vs bottle!!!

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lmrcpr on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:29 am

I think responses like that are due to guilt.
I share your annoyance that when we try to promote breastfeeding people give such negative response
lmrcpr

Number of posts : 21
Tell us about yourself : I have a little girl who was born feb 2010and have been breastfeeding since she was born, using cloth nappies since she was 4 weeks and just starting to baby wear.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by indigosky2k on Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:32 am

Well I gave up defending my reason for posting it in the end, that BF is still not promoted strongly as a prevention for SIDS yet the statistics are shocking, and explaining that I'm not a FF hater. I actually got back-up from 3 of my FFing friends, both on the link and by PM's, who were saying they agreed with what I'd posted. I was still getting comments on it the next day though, and while they weren't attacking me I already felt so upset by it all that these hurt me too, and these were from some of my closest friends Sad

It's going to stop me from sharing links I feel are important for a while as I'm not really in a place emotionally that I can cope with being attacked at the moment, but I'm on lots of BFing pages on FB so I can post my feeling on their walls without worrying Smile

indigosky2k

Tell us about yourself : I'm a SAHM to Kacie aged 10.5 months. I'm very into an AP way of life, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. We're coming up to one year and I'm looking for places where I won't be looked down on for extended breastfeeding. I have no intention of weaning until Kacie wants to. We're also traying to conceive baby no. 2, so really hoping to tandam feed and will be looking for support to do this too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:58 pm

I have no clue why people are so emotive over the facts. I know mothers who put their kids to sleep on their fronts...knowing full well that increases their chances of SIDS but they don't have this same guilt reaction. I know mothers who smoke...same thing...and yet, post something similar with regards to breastfeeding, and they are up in arms. Who knows why...It's fact. Breastfeeding cuts SIDS. It's the one reason why I, as a young 20 year old girl breastfed. Even smoking, breastfeeding still reduces the risk.

Its not breastfeeders taking a dig at formula feeders, its just fact but as many women have been cheated out of breastfeeding there is a lot of misplaced anger and guilt floating around the subject that is just desperately looking for an outlook. You post an article like that which highlights the risk of something they were told was safe and all of a sudden they point that anger at you, when in reality that anger should be directed at the uneducated medical profession who didn't support them. The family that didn't support them, the formula companies that lied to them. But you are an easy target.
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:34 pm

what happened to freedom of speech? Rolling Eyes
Its ok as long as everyone agrees and no-one feels offended through guilt.

Its a similar thing if you mention smoking around babies, obviously the smokers get defensive (again, probably through guilt). its a similar debate to me, you are choosing to put something into your baby when there is a better and healthier option available.

at the end of the day, you cant deny the facts, and the facts are breast is best bfing

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by indigosky2k on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:59 pm

Squiglet wrote:I have no clue why people are so emotive over the facts. I know mothers who put their kids to sleep on their fronts...knowing full well that increases their chances of SIDS but they don't have this same guilt reaction. I know mothers who smoke...same thing...and yet, post something similar with regards to breastfeeding, and they are up in arms. Who knows why...It's fact. Breastfeeding cuts SIDS. It's the one reason why I, as a young 20 year old girl breastfed. Even smoking, breastfeeding still reduces the risk.

Its not breastfeeders taking a dig at formula feeders, its just fact but as many women have been cheated out of breastfeeding there is a lot of misplaced anger and guilt floating around the subject that is just desperately looking for an outlook. You post an article like that which highlights the risk of something they were told was safe and all of a sudden they point that anger at you, when in reality that anger should be directed at the uneducated medical profession who didn't support them. The family that didn't support them, the formula companies that lied to them. But you are an easy target.
These were the exact points I tried to get across in my first response back to the attacks on me for posting the link. If I'd have posted anything on any of the risk factors I'd not have been attacked so much for it, even by smokers, and in my experience that's almost as emotive as the FF v BF debate. No one wants to hear they're putting their childs life at risk. But seriously if there is something you can do to so dramatically reduce that risk, why would you not give it your very, very best shot confused

indigosky2k

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:05 am

Well if you want another fb friend I'd love to see their replys and agree with you, I dont mind offending other peoples frineds Smile even if it afew days late.
rhi'smummy

Female Number of posts : 511
Tell us about yourself : Mum to milk monster Rhianna
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by donna4 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:51 am

[quote="kay"]what happened to freedom of speech? Rolling Eyes

i agree everyone has their own opinions and people think differently, i do get anoyed at people who go on and on about bf saying how fantastic it is (which it is but..) i personly dont think it needs to be shuved in peoples faces if they decide to ff. iv done both and its NOT through guilt at all why i dont think people should be put down or jumped on because of the way they feed their child, and because i only bf my eldest a day i do not feel quilty that hes going to get a serious illness. these are just my opinions, and i think everyone needs to realise that everyone thinks differently and does things differently and its nothing to do with others Rolling Eyes
donna4

Female Number of posts : 921
Tell us about yourself : Hi im Donna i have 5 children jamie 10, kiera 6, emilie 5, blake 4, and zachary 15 months, they mean the world to me :O)
Thanks and Reputation points : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:47 am

I think there's a difference between shoving something in someone's face and pointing out facts that have previously been hidden. I think most mums who ff genuinely believe they are giving thier babies an equal, if not better substitute, ie they think formula is better for thier babies.
I've heard so many mums say 'well I fed my babies formula and they turned out ok', but thats such a stupid excuse. How many other things has that excuse been used for, putting babies to sleep on their stomachs, smoking and drinking all through pregnancy, things that are nothing to do with parenting, smoking and drinking heavily for an example. But its well known these things can have a harmful, if not fatal result, so just because some loudly tell their stories of avoiding harm, doesn't suddenly mean its ok.
Then again, somethings should be shoved in peoples faces, if something can save a babys life, I think thats a good enough reason to do so.
rhi'smummy

Female Number of posts : 511
Tell us about yourself : Mum to milk monster Rhianna
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:29 pm

My eldest 2 were FF too Donna, so i see both sides too hun, and I dont feel guilty that they were FF.
I feel annoyed I didnt have the support to help me, but thats a whole other story Razz

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:27 pm

donna4 wrote: i dont think people should be put down or jumped on because of the way they feed their child, and because i only bf my eldest a day i do not feel quilty that hes going to get a serious illness. these are just my opinions, and i think everyone needs to realise that everyone thinks differently and does things differently and its nothing to do with others Rolling Eyes

You are quite right. You shouldn't be put down or jumped on because of the way you feed your child or what you believe regardless.... and that includes if you are an avid breastfeeder. People forget that. However, everyone has a right to know the facts. Tbf Indigo only linked an article on her FB so she wasn't shoving it in anyones face exactly. She was merely linking articles she found interesting, then further commenting on them. It is then up to her friends to chose to read it or not. I have friends who post all sorts of articles and I choose not to read them. Many of my friends, for example are anti vaxers, I am not....so I just choose to ignore their articles or choose not to involve myself in their conversations. More often than not I actually read their articles to educate myself because knowledge is key. They are not shoving it in my face however as they are only posting it on their FB's. I choose to involve myself in that.

If someone specifically came onto my fb wall and started posting anti vaxing messages, articles and started saying I was killing my child, I would be offended and well within my rights to feel so, but Indigo didn't do that. So she should feel slightly aggrieved that when posting an article on her wall, people came over to her and basically said she was a liar especially when she really was only pointing out that breastmilk lowers SID's risks and this has been known for years now.

FB is what it is... it is a place where people show you who and what they are, what their likes, dislikes, and causes are.... Plus there is a little button on FB that allows you to hide certain things that annoy you Smile I use it all the time... Oh to have a "hide/ignore" button in real life. sigh. Rolling Eyes
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:33 pm

I agree Squiglet!
with Facebook (or anywhere), you choose what to put on as they are YOUR thoughts and beliefs.
I tend to ignore lots, or not comment, because it may be someones humour, or belief, and i think 'each to their own' but wouldnt comment unless, like you said, they had aimed it at me, posted it on MY wall etc.
A classic at the moment is people with 'jokes' about the miners in Chile and the floods in Pakistan. people are linking sick jokes, setting them as a status etc, and i find this really distasteful, but i also think that if this is their humour, its not my place to diss it, so i choose to ignore them and not comment.

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by indigosky2k on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:26 pm

kay wrote:I agree Squiglet!
with Facebook (or anywhere), you choose what to put on as they are YOUR thoughts and beliefs.
I tend to ignore lots, or not comment, because it may be someones humour, or belief, and i think 'each to their own' but wouldnt comment unless, like you said, they had aimed it at me, posted it on MY wall etc.
A classic at the moment is people with 'jokes' about the miners in Chile and the floods in Pakistan. people are linking sick jokes, setting them as a status etc, and i find this really distasteful, but i also think that if this is their humour, its not my place to diss it, so i choose to ignore them and not comment.

I agree with this and Squiglet's comment too. I 'like' lots of AP type pages, but they have links coming up about anti-vaxxing, anti-circumcision, natual parenting choices, that are further than wish to go or don't want to be made to feel guilty over. I don't read links or things that I don't think I'll like so that I don't get offended or upset by them. I also don't mind people commenting on my links and disagreeing with me, but I do take exception to being attacked, repeatedly, even after I'd explained that I'm not some evil FF hater. Gees, I was FF so if that was the case I'd hate my own mum Sad Like Kay says about her older two, its not my mum who I blame but the poor advice she was given. Apparently she was too old at 40 to have any milk banghead Rolling Eyes

Anyone who repeatedly posts things I don't like, who I don't want to defriend, family for example, I hide and ignore their posts so I don't have to repeatedly be bombarded by their conquests or antics Rolling Eyes So if any of my friends aren't keen on my lactavist views they can do that, or defriend me I don't mind Razz

It's all blown over now and all but one of the friends has posted nice or positive comments on things I've said since. Interestingly it's the one who attacked me most who hasn't had any FB contact with me since silent

indigosky2k

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:16 am

ive cancelled my fb account, it was totally doing my head in!
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:10 am

angpixi wrote:ive cancelled my fb account, it was totally doing my head in!

Oh Ang I just noticed! I thought you were missing hug2

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum