Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

fed up!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default fed up!

Post by bonnymum on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:41 am

hi everyone,
i have a seven week old little girl, who since the second she was born feeds probably every 20 minutses while she was awake. for the first week she never slept much at night and had no more than 1 hour. i dont know how but somehow she has managed to get into a routine of sleeping 5 hours,then 3, then 1 and a half at night which is fantastic. i think its because i discovered co sleeping which despite being uncomfortable is a lifesaver. but she is still being fussy and demanding during the day and im at the end of my tether! basically i just want to know if anyone else has gone through something similar and if it ever got any easier!! i really really want to keep breastfeeding but i dont think i can keep it up if it doesnt change soon!
thanks!

bonnymum

Number of posts : 5
Tell us about yourself : I am 20, live in QLD with my partner, 23 and our 8 week old daughter Lily.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2010-07-14

Back to top Go down

default Re: fed up!

Post by Squiglet on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Congratulations on doing something that most 20 year olds don't. I was one of these rare few...and it was very hard when the world was telling you to bottle feed.

This seems like normal breast fed baby behaviour...but it does get better, then worse again, then better...then worse, then better and then they leave home... Wink It's the same with everything that you do with your children. Some times it's easy other times it's hard.

6 weeks is a common time when most mothers give up breastfeeding. It's a difficult time. Lots of things are happening in your baby. For one, they are no longer neonates. They are turning into babies, and they frequently get bored. They are also going through the notorious 4-6 week growth spurt. This one isn't too bad... There is one at 4/5 months that is particularly fun , then you get the 9 month fuss...then you are into the terribly twos. You will find, no matter what you feed your child, that these growth spurts are difficult times. I have friends who formula feed, and I honestly have no idea how they managed to get through these times without co sleeping and breastfeeding... I think I have the touch of the lazy in me.

There are ways to make co sleeping a little easier...Pillows between your knees and one behind your back help immensly.

Also with your first, you are not in a routine. First babies are really difficult like this. Try to make sure that your house is bright and noisy during the day, quiet and dark at night. Get your LO out of bed in the morning at the same time, and make bed time the same time, with a good bed time routine. (Normally bath booby bed in our house). I find that it helps kick start them into a routine. With second children, you are probably already having to get the baby up at the same time every day because of your eldest and you are already putting them to bed at a certain time too...so they baby is already predisposed... but with a first child it's hard.

How exactly is your LO being fussy? Babies tend to live at your breast for the first couple of months, until they begin to take an interest in the world. I found a ring sling invaluable at this age. Also getting out the house as much as possible used to help with my LO.

You are doing a fantastic job...it will get easier. Once I got over the 7 week hump, I couldn't imagine the hassle of washing bottles, sterilising them, boiling water, adding the scoops carefully, waiting for it to cool etc, when literally I could just pop them on the boob and get on with it. While it is draining when you are doing it on your own with no break, it is far less labour intesive in the long run.

Also is your partner at all supportive and those around you? ARe there any breastfeeding groups in your area?... Support is invaluable during these times. Connecting with people who went through the same thing is important...and having a partner who tells you he is proud for feeding his child by yourself is extremely supportive.
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:43 pm

well i dont think i can give any better advice than Morag! well done for getting this far though and good luck with the rest! my 4th was a little and often feeder too so i know where youre at!
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:48 pm

I agree with Morag too.

I had my first when I was 20 and it was so hard and tiering.

What you are doing sounds amazing! your doing so well hun.

I have a question though do you swap to the next breast straight away on the next feed?

I ask this because it is better to keep putting LO back on the breast they just finished on to make sure they have had the more 'fattier' milk.
I would put my little one back on the same breast upto 3 or 4 times before it was refused and would then continue the same thing on the otherside.

I found doing this spaced the feeds for longer, my breasts were drained completely and there was less wind tummy issues too.

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bonnymum on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:17 am

Wow!
it is very comforting to know that everyone seems to go through the same thing Smile
all of that advice deffinitely makes sense, its a little easier to deal with when you have an idea of why bub is doing these things. i will deffinitely try putting her back to the same breast at the next little feed. she fusses usually by latching off and on again and squealing and kicking/ punching in between, lol it would be cute if it wasnt annoying. i actually just found out that she has some thrush on her tongue so we are both being treated for it, could this be why she is fussy i wonder?

by the way, am feeling heaps better at the moment because i decided to take morag's advice and we are on a mini break at the coast! is lovely to get out of the house the walls were starting to close in around me!

thanks everyone Smile

bonnymum

Tell us about yourself : I am 20, live in QLD with my partner, 23 and our 8 week old daughter Lily.

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:46 am

Brilliant!

Yes the thrush almost cetainly could of been causing her discomfort while feeding.

Here is a great site with further advice

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/thrush-resources.html

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Veron on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi
I have a daughter who feeds very often. The first weeks were so hard as we were first timers and thought the publi nurse's advice of having breaks between feedings meant we were doing something wrong. "she couldn't be hungry again!" seemed to be the running theme. Then finally I got some online support and realised that there was no harm in feeding her whenever she wanted it.
I read this article and it helped. I reread it and it still helps as she is 5.5 months old and very frequently on the boob. I've stopped wearing a watch or counting the hours between feeds.
I hope you guys are doing well now.
http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/elizabeth_baldwin.html

Veron

Female Number of posts : 17
Tell us about yourself : Nursing, co sleeping and wearing. First daughter and hopefully more in the future. Loving my new life!
Your mood today : Happy
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:51 pm

veron, i love that article, its fantastic!
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:38 pm

OOO thanks Veron

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by bonnymum on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:08 am

fantastic article veron!! thankyou!!

bonnymum

Back to top Go down

Post by GemGibb on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Oh wow just read that article and its put the biggest smile on my face, my husband hasnt seen me this happy for a while :p xx

GemGibb

Female Number of posts : 14
Tell us about yourself : Im 26 years old, have my 2nd gorgeous son Isaac (my first son Ryan died aged 3) Love being a mummy again, trying my best to do everything right for Isaac as hes my world Smile
Your mood today : Upset
Registration date : 2011-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum