Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Any thoughts on this? - updated

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Any thoughts on this? - updated

Post by gem1981 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:18 pm

I should start this by saying, I am not part of the breastfeeding mafia. The reason for me wanting to support women with breastfeeding is simple - when I looked for support there was no-one. I spoke to my midwife who said bleeding nipples were fine, I went to the hospital and waited an hour for the midwives (who were standing talking) to help me and they didn't. In the end I rang a breastfeeding line and after 2 lengthy phonecalls she managed to find out the number of my local breastfeeding counsellor who came round to see me straight away. It is because of her that I am still breastfeeding and I think women shouldn't have to look that hard for someone to help them.

Anyway, when I got my passion for breastfeeding my HV suggested starting a breastfeeding group and asked if I'd like to be a part of it. I was there at the opening and stood up to do a speech. I was very, very proud.

However, the group is not how I envisaged it and I now rarely go. I went along with my friend and she fed her daughter who was around 20 months old at the time and she was questioned about STILL feeding her daughter.

The majority of the moms who go formula feed.

I am all for moms making their own decisions how they choose to feed their child, however, I feel a breastfeeding group is for moms who breastfeed so they can relax and talk to other moms who breastfeed without worrying about saying the wrong thing.

One of the moms who went to my local group then went along to a nearby towns baby cafe where I know a couple of people. Apparantly she went there and said she'd been to my villages group and couldnt believe the amount of moms who were formula feeding. She obviously didnt feel comfortable.

I hope this doesnt come across that I am anti-formula feeding as I'm not but this group is not what I thought it was going to be, it's just another mom and tots group.

What are your thoughts on this? I am going to go this week and am hoping to talk to the HV there so I'd appreciate your views beforehand xxx

Last edited by gem1981 on Sat May 15, 2010 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

gem1981

Female Number of posts : 1459
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

default Re: Any thoughts on this? - updated

Post by Natasha on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:33 pm

I would feel exactly the same Gem, its a Breastfeeding group.
This is a breastfeeding forum and we support breastfeeders, because frankly you flaming well need it! Its bloody hard work and not something anyone else can do for you unlike ff feeding.

We haven't got the generations above us with the experience and knowledge of breastfeeding like they did 40 years ago, thanks to Maggie ff feeders do have their mum, nan and sister who can help them.

I am like you not having a go a ff feeders, breastfeeding is not about that.

A Breastfeeding Group, is for breastfeeders and the fact that its now full of ff feeders means it is no longer a breastfeeding group.

Last edited by Natasha on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:46 pm

completely agree!!

I try not to force my opinions down peoples throats, but i am more than happy to help those that need it, and like you say, you want to be able to help as there is so little support available.

IMO, a BF group is just that. I no longer go as I have stopped BF, although i would go as a mother supporter if needed.

completely behind your thinking hunny hug3

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by AnnaMat25 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:37 am

i agree it's a breastfeeding group, if i was to go and there were ff mothers it'd put me off too, i would talk to the hv too and if you can get your friend to back you it might help swell to show your not the only mum feeling this way
AnnaMat25

Female Number of posts : 259
Tell us about yourself : i'm s mum to 3 children
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2010-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by indigosky2k on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:06 am

I'm with the others. I don't quite understand why a FFing mum would want to go to a BF group, unless of course she was pregnant and planned on trying to BF Wink

indigosky2k

Female Number of posts : 182
Tell us about yourself : I'm a SAHM to Kacie aged 10.5 months. I'm very into an AP way of life, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. We're coming up to one year and I'm looking for places where I won't be looked down on for extended breastfeeding. I have no intention of weaning until Kacie wants to. We're also traying to conceive baby no. 2, so really hoping to tandam feed and will be looking for support to do this too.
Your mood today : Sick
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:48 pm

I found it mighty humorous that our LLL group won't accept mother's with babies over 6 months. I said to this woman, I thought you were supposed to be supporting breastfeeding mothers...yes....mothers with infants... head desk!
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Squiglet wrote:I found it mighty humorous that our LLL group won't accept mother's with babies over 6 months. I said to this woman, I thought you were supposed to be supporting breastfeeding mothers...yes....mothers with infants... head desk!

wtf!!?

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:15 pm

um so a bit bloody pointless then when its alienating the people its supposed to be supporting !!
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by gem1981 on Sat May 15, 2010 9:42 am

I went along to this today (did go a couple of weeks ago and it was closed, I only found out on Tuesday that they had moved it to a Friday )

I was really disappointed. There were 2 mums there who breastfeed and about 5-6 who ff. There was a clear divide where the bfers were on one side and the ffers were on the other. One of the bfing mums couldnt stay long and we got talking to the other. She was saying that they still go as if they don't there won't be any bfers there. She said new mums do come to the group but after 1 visit they don't come back.

Apparantly our local BFC started a discussion recently about breastfeeding and the benefits etc and it all 'kicked off' and the ffers put a complaint in about the BFC. I get the feeling they are not pro-breastfeeding and tbh am not sure why they want to go there.

I think its a real shame as new mums who could be struggling etc who walk into a room full of breastfeeding mothers would think they could do it too, whereas walking into a room where the majority ff does not give the breastfeeding 'you can do it' message that we'd like to get across.

I think the only thing we can do is set up another group, although this means finding funding for a room etc

gem1981

Female Number of posts : 1459
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Sat May 15, 2010 1:05 pm

well i think thats bloody awful, the best thing you can do is start another group, have you looked into church rooms? maybe get somewhere you can make a cuppa and charge for it and the remainder goes towards the room hire?
hope you find a solution its a fabulous thing youre trying to do with so much opposition xx
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Sat May 15, 2010 7:50 pm

I really feel for you Gem. Sad The problem you have is that so many people who didn't get the support and were made to feel like they failed with regards to breastfeeding, now feel the need to defend their position and anyone who makes a positive remark about breastfeeding is almost certainly making a negative remark about formula even though no such thing was mentioned. It's not anti formula...but sometimes it's a very hard line to walk being a breast-feeder, especially one who chooses to do so longer than the standard 6 months. I don't think formula mums realise how accepted and easy it is to formula feed.

I have never attended any breastfeeding groups...I've never even met a mother who has breastfed more than a couple of weeks. It's really quite lonely, so Gem I think that if you set up a proper bfing group..you are amazing. Smile
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top