Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

crying it out can lead to brain damage....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default crying it out can lead to brain damage....

Post by kay on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Nicked from somewhere else! What a Face

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/apr/21/leaving-baby-to-cry-brain-development-damage

suck on that Gina Ford and Supernanny and whoever else! Laughing

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

default Re: crying it out can lead to brain damage....

Post by Squiglet on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:41 pm

mwhahahahahaaa. I showed this to my mother and she got all upset...She insists that I leave my kids to cry... She left me to cry for 3 hours when I was a couple of weeks old and she wonders why I'm weird and have never had a close relationship with her.
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by indigosky2k on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:55 pm

Just posted this somewhere else and along with the comment:
Why would anyone want to leave their baby to
cry for any length of time??!! It's about time this idea and the
'experts' who promote it came to and end. Babies should not be left to
cry!!!! If your child is inconvienence why did you have it??!!

Just waiting for the backlash now

indigosky2k

Female Number of posts : 182
Tell us about yourself : I'm a SAHM to Kacie aged 10.5 months. I'm very into an AP way of life, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. We're coming up to one year and I'm looking for places where I won't be looked down on for extended breastfeeding. I have no intention of weaning until Kacie wants to. We're also traying to conceive baby no. 2, so really hoping to tandam feed and will be looking for support to do this too.
Your mood today : Sick
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:25 pm

exactly!
who wants independant children from the age of, what, 6 weeks?

I'm in the minority of people i know IRL who APs, but its my instinct and its what feels best for me and my kids. I get ridiculed, and people always try to tell me the 'best way' or force some supernanny type tosh on me. They then whinge and whine about their kids, and ask why mine are so well behaved and such great kids.

duh! hairpull

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by indigosky2k on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:44 pm

kay wrote:They then whinge and whine about their kids, and ask why mine are so well behaved and such great kids.

duh! hairpull
It's always the way isn't it, the people with the most annoying advice have the most annoying kids
I do consider myself lucky that many of my RL friends are either completely or partly into AP Don't know how I'd cope if they weren't

indigosky2k

Female Number of posts : 182
Tell us about yourself : I'm a SAHM to Kacie aged 10.5 months. I'm very into an AP way of life, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. We're coming up to one year and I'm looking for places where I won't be looked down on for extended breastfeeding. I have no intention of weaning until Kacie wants to. We're also traying to conceive baby no. 2, so really hoping to tandam feed and will be looking for support to do this too.
Your mood today : Sick
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by AnnaMat25 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:42 am

ha ha i knew there was a reason why i never let my kid cry much as babies, i always get the put him down your making a rod for your own back now i can say well achaly....
AnnaMat25

Female Number of posts : 259
Tell us about yourself : i'm s mum to 3 children
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2010-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:13 pm

One thing that always upsets me to read when these mums decide to do cry it out, they all say that they just want to go and hug their baby and are extremely upset.

I couldn't do it, and this shows even more why I wouldn't

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:47 pm

My dad came over and told me he had read this the other day.

Natasha wrote:One thing that always upsets me to read when these mums decide to do cry it out, they all say that they just want to go and hug their baby and are extremely upset.

I couldn't do it, and this shows even more why I wouldn't

Me too. My heart breaks for those babies Crying or Very sad
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:28 am

Having one of the oldest kids (Not the oldest I think someone on here has an older one), I cannot understand why parents are in such a rush to make their kids grow up. I have a picture on my shelf of T when she was just a few days old, fast asleep on my shoulder. Now she's 10, has a crush on her physiotherapist, but won't talk to me about it because eww mum's are embarassing. She doesn't instinctively reach out for my hand anymore when we go out. She will often walk several steps ahead of me, or several behind, pretending she is not with me. I still look at her an see that tiny baby, but during the night, goblins stole her away and replaced her with a sullen teenager who will, in less years than has taken her to reach this
stage, be leaving home. It happened in a blink of an eye. Why would you want to encourage that kind of aging. I can assure all mothers who wish to get their kids to sleep in their own beds, to use the potty, all these independent things... That my child did this all on her own eventually. I did not need to force her. I have never had to employ cry it out with the youngest, but I still get time in the evening to do my own thing. I had to wait a couple of years to get that, but it came in it's own time. I do wonder, if children are such an inconvenience to you, why did you have a child in the first place. Crying at night, fussiness...you only need to speak to your own parents to realise that having kids is by far a walk in the park, so why have one then expect it to do everything on a schedual and to not cry about anything.
Squiglet

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:38 pm

Squiglet wrote:Having one of the oldest kids (Not the oldest I think someone on here has an older one), I cannot understand why parents are in such a rush to make their kids grow up. I have a picture on my shelf of T when she was just a few days old, fast asleep on my shoulder. Now she's 10, has a crush on her physiotherapist, but won't talk to me about it because eww mum's are embarassing. She doesn't instinctively reach out for my hand anymore when we go out. She will often walk several steps ahead of me, or several behind, pretending she is not with me. I still look at her an see that tiny baby, but during the night, goblins stole her away and replaced her with a sullen teenager who will, in less years than has taken her to reach this
stage, be leaving home. It happened in a blink of an eye. Why would you want to encourage that kind of aging. I can assure all mothers who wish to get their kids to sleep in their own beds, to use the potty, all these independent things... That my child did this all on her own eventually. I did not need to force her. I have never had to employ cry it out with the youngest, but I still get time in the evening to do my own thing. I had to wait a couple of years to get that, but it came in it's own time. I do wonder, if children are such an inconvenience to you, why did you have a child in the first place. Crying at night, fussiness...you only need to speak to your own parents to realise that having kids is by far a walk in the park, so why have one then expect it to do everything on a schedual and to not cry about anything.

Totaly understand and agree with you

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:32 am

Squiglet wrote:Having one of the oldest kids (Not the oldest I think someone on here has an older one), I cannot understand why parents are in such a rush to make their kids grow up. I have a picture on my shelf of T when she was just a few days old, fast asleep on my shoulder. Now she's 10, has a crush on her physiotherapist, but won't talk to me about it because eww mum's are embarassing. She doesn't instinctively reach out for my hand anymore when we go out. She will often walk several steps ahead of me, or several behind, pretending she is not with me. I still look at her an see that tiny baby, but during the night, goblins stole her away and replaced her with a sullen teenager who will, in less years than has taken her to reach this

clap So true.
That just got me all Sad
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:09 pm

i saw this the other day on the news and it made me feel kinda smug towards all those who'd told me to use the cry it out method and i'd ignored them.

there's a part in the no-cry sleep solution book that says something like what you wrote too morag. it says that no matter how sleep deprived or anything that you get, just take a look at them when they are asleep and smile to yourself and dont be wishing them to grow up because that will happen soon enough.
totally agree with everything you said morag
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:17 pm

It reminds me of this You Tube video someone sent me... Be careful...it will have you in tears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olSyCLJU3O0&feature=player_embedded

The way this woman speaks about her kids, it makes you realise that when they've grown up...they've gone forever...you can't claim that back.
Squiglet

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:13 pm

See sinse we have moved into our new place Olivia has been sleeping in our bed, she really doesn't want to go in her own room and got upset when we suggested it.

I wouldn't force her too and let her 'cry it out' she obviously feels a little left out as I have Lottie in bed next to me and Olivia needs that extra feeling of security.

I can't imagine what damage it could do emotionally for her if I ignored her need to feel close, let alone what it could do to her brain

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top