Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Really upset

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Really upset

Post by TashaAndBump on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:16 pm

My friend had a baby a few days ago. The midwife has just been out and said she has lost weight so she needs to top up with formula after every feed.

I told her that that is probably the worst thing to do as it means baby won't demand as much so her supply won't come up. I told her it's normal for breastfed babies to loose a little in the first week as it just means the milk hasn't come in yet, but the best thing to do is to keep baby to the brest, not to supplement.

Well then her OH came on MSN and said:

Natasha
25/02/201014:06:26SamziNatashaSteve here
25/02/201014:06:29NatashaSamzihello
25/02/201014:06:34SamziNatashaPlease dont scare sam Smile
25/02/201014:06:38SamziNatashaOur babies losing weight
25/02/201014:06:43SamziNatashafuck the wives tales, k?
25/02/201014:06:45SamziNatashaback to Sam Smile

I have to say I am in shock!! I was only giving her my best advice as a friend and somebody who has been there before! I've blocked her because i'm so upset. I have the worst mastitis and am sat her online trying to offer her my best advice and help her to BF and I get that response?!

And what wives tales?! It's not wives tales it's from experience and the truth! Oh well, more fool her when she ends up formula feeding!

Last edited by TashaAndBump on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
TashaAndBump

Female Number of posts : 121
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Anna (17 months old) Pregnant with identical twins! Smile

Due 29th January - Can't wait to breastfeed babies 2 and 3 :-) Anna stopped breastfeeding at 16 months 2 weeks.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

default Re: Really upset

Post by nickyjones on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:58 pm

Sorry that you have had that response. I guess it is hard for your friend getting conflicting advice and the expectation is that the MW's are fully trained and know all about it. Unfortunately we both know the reality that when it comes to breast feeding a lot don't have a clue. At least my MW knew they didn't know enough about it and told me about the BF councillors and recommended I went to see them.

IF you aren't on antibiotics get some from the doctor ASAP. It normally takes 2 days on them for me to start feeling better. Take care of yourself.

nickyjones

Female Number of posts : 221
Tell us about yourself :
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:43 pm

sorry you had that response when you were trying to help , babies often loose weight in the first few days so its perfectly normal anyway! the sad fact is there are so many uninformed professionals out there dishing out this silly advice to mothers who whole heartedly trust their mw or hv because they are trained.
rest in the knowledge you tried xx
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:54 pm

I can imagine how that has upset you

It's such a shame so many people get given wrong advice

Tell her to join here!
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:09 pm

awww hun

thats a really rotton way to talk to someone - especially when you were trying to help!

unfortunately many people arent always as informed as others, and take MW or HV sometimes flippant advice as gospel. if they dont have particularly supportive or clued up family, it makes it even harder.

I dont blame you for blocking - you tried hunny

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:14 pm

kay wrote:awww hun

thats a really rotton way to talk to someone - especially when you were trying to help!

unfortunately many people arent always as informed as others, and take MW or HV sometimes flippant advice as gospel. if they dont have particularly supportive or clued up family, it makes it even harder.

I dont blame you for blocking - you tried hunny

I agree with Kay

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:45 pm

aww hun that is terrible. I hope your ok
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:44 pm

I got told this rubbish. I didn't listen. I think you've got every right to block her...
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:48 am

It is a shame that so many mothers are scared into giving their babies formula because so called professionals say that they are going to do their babies harm - as if any mother would want to starve their newborn!!

Those first few weeks after birth are an emotional rollercoaster and we all want to do what is best, many mothers make choices they regret and if they had more support they may feel they can stand up to nurses/mw and HV. Really makes me cross!! Evil or Very Mad
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by kaygeebee on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:41 pm

Oh I'm so so sorry that you got that response.

I heard recently of a hospital midwife who asked a mum if she could give the baby a bottle as it wasn't settled overnight! That really shocked me. Needless to say the mum went home mixed feeding and baby had already lost the virgin gut ........ she could have just said 'baby is still hungry, and it might feed all night ....... get stimulating those boobies if you want to BF successfully!'

It's shocking some of the advice that is dished out. I looked and looked for advice on getting feeding established in the first few days, and the best I could find was 'put your baby to the breast as often as it wants' .... the first night my baby went 5 hours without a feed as he wasn't demanding to be fed. 24 hours later we were back in hospital with jaundice and dehydration.

What I needed to find was advice that said put your baby to the breast all the time! The more often the better to start with - especially at night. I honestly didn't realise that I needed to stimulate the boobies to get them working! I think it's actually a wonder I ended up BFing with the advice that some MWs give!

kaygeebee

Female Number of posts : 127
Tell us about yourself : mum to a little boy, born August 2009
Your mood today : Bored
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by AnnaMat25 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:41 pm

ummmmm that was out of order of him, i'd of done the same thing, i hope you get over your mastitus soon xxxxx
AnnaMat25

Female Number of posts : 259
Tell us about yourself : i'm s mum to 3 children
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2010-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by indigosky2k on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:50 pm

Aaaaggghhh When will HCP's start to offer good advice on BFing
for you hun, that was completely uncalled for by your friends OH and I hope your mastitis is better soon

indigosky2k

Female Number of posts : 182
Tell us about yourself : I'm a SAHM to Kacie aged 10.5 months. I'm very into an AP way of life, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. We're coming up to one year and I'm looking for places where I won't be looked down on for extended breastfeeding. I have no intention of weaning until Kacie wants to. We're also traying to conceive baby no. 2, so really hoping to tandam feed and will be looking for support to do this too.
Your mood today : Sick
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top