Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Leaving baby for the weekend and worried feeding will stop.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Leaving baby for the weekend and worried feeding will stop.

Post by loubylou1 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:19 pm

Hello,

I'm going away with my other half for three days and wondered if anyone had any advice on how to make sure that my baby will still want to breastfeed when I get back? She is nearly 9 months and still seems really keen to breastfeed as well as loving solids. I am also keen to keep feeding going until I have to go back to work in a couple of months time and don't want my being away to make her stop feeding. I have read that sometimes a mother being away can make the baby stop feeding altogether.

I will try and express some milk for the grandparents to give her while I'm away. I've never been able to express loads of milk though and I do think she might need to have some formula while I'm gone. She will take a bottle at a push, although not from me and I think she will have a bottle if there's no alternative.

Any tips / anyone got any experience of this that might help me? We really need to get away for various reasons and I know it will be a good thing but I'm especially nervous about leaving her if it also means giving up breastfeeding prematurely as I really love it. Our trip is in just over a week so I don't have lots of time to prepare.

Thanks so much for any help

Loubylou

loubylou1

Number of posts : 2
Tell us about yourself : I've got an eight month old daughter and after a tricky start have really enjoyed feeding her. I'm interested in learning from others about breastfeeding once it's established and in passing on advice to new mums.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2010-01-27

Back to top Go down

default Re: Leaving baby for the weekend and worried feeding will stop.

Post by Squiglet on Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:09 pm

No advice really...just hugs. I am going away for 4 days in Feb and wonder if lil miss will stop breastfeeding. It's different for me though as she's 2 now and much more able to do without and in a little way I wouldn't really mind if she stopped... but then I do really. Saying that, I've just been in hospital with my eldest for 3 days and I came home today, the first things she did was jump in my lap for booby Smile

I think if you can try and get as much breast milk as possible to give her and express while you are away...fingers crossed there will not be too many problems.
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kaygeebee on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:48 pm

I don't think your daughter will forget how to BF in that amount of time - but I guess no-one can tell you for sure that she won't stop feeding.

As far as expressng goes, have a look at the section here for some tips. Do you have an electric pump? I also find that if I'm struggling that either expressing an oz or so at the start of each feed, or expressing from 1 breast while feeding from the other helps.

Don't worry about not getting much out - you wll need to pump little and often as your supply will be very finely tuned to your LOs demand, so there won't be much spare - especially at first.

Also remember that you'll need to express while you're away and not feeding!

Good luck. x

kaygeebee

Female Number of posts : 127
Tell us about yourself : mum to a little boy, born August 2009
Your mood today : Bored
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:33 pm

Im sure she will want to continue to Breastfeed when you come back.

I can never pump a lot, so I pump at near enough each feed (while she feeds on the other side) when i know im not going to be around.

You will be surprised how quickly those 2oz build up to 20 in a few days!

Also your boobies think they need more so its easier.

I strongly suggest you pump while your away around the time you would usualy feed her, I work on a two day rule. You can feed one day and next you will usualy have milk waiting so to speak. But if you miss the next day the folllowing day your breasts don't think they need it (supply and demand) So if your away for three you will almost certainly need to pump or you could have issues when you come back. You wont dry up.. it will just be harder to build up again.. almost like when they are newborn and pumping can save you from the problem

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:34 am

Yes I second pumping while you are away... you may find you get umcomfortable on the 2nd day if you don't.
No experience of leaving lo that length of time, but I reckon if you offer her a feed as soon as you get back, then she'll pick up where she left off Smile

Hope you have a good time!

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:31 am

just echoing what the others say really! she probably will want to feed off you as soon as you get back, as long as you pump while youre away you flow wont get messed up too much. see how it goes, have a great time away and take each day as it comes when youre back, dont forget to come here if you have problems!
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by loubylou1 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks so much for all the lovely responses and great suggestions - I feel much better about it now. Best wishes to all!

loubylou1

Number of posts : 2
Tell us about yourself : I've got an eight month old daughter and after a tricky start have really enjoyed feeding her. I'm interested in learning from others about breastfeeding once it's established and in passing on advice to new mums.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2010-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:03 pm

Hope you have a lovely time

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:07 am

Nothing to add as it's all been said but have a brilliant time
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top