Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Hello

View previous topic View next topic Go down

topic 6 Hello

Post by marie28uk on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi my name is Marie i have 2 children Liam 2 and Michael 12 weeks. I feel like i have reached a stale mate with feeding i only managed to feed Liam till he was 12 weeks and he started to feed every 45 minutes so i put him on formula because people said he would go longer (not Liam) He always fed every hour and half. With Michael he has been a bit easier he has always fed 3 hourly and has now dropped to every hour and a half. I have been told by many people to put him onto solids but i know this can be bad so young. I also have a little lump in one of my nipples which is sore on first latch and uncomfortable throughout the feed. There isn't much support here and i feel alone at the momenti have 2 friends who are feeding with no problems i feel like i'm doing something wrong.

Marie xx

marie28uk

Female Number of posts : 2
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Wary
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-01-06

Back to top Go down

topic 6 Re: Hello

Post by angpixi on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 am

Welcome to the forum
first of all dont loose heart youre not doing anything wrong we all go through periods like this.
i imagine the reason your babies both started to feed more frequently at 12 weeks is because most babies have a growth spurt round about then and need more milk to keep up with the growing, to produce more milk they need to feed more to build up supply, this usually settles down before long and feeding patterns space out again
youre so right not to put baby onto solids this early it can cause lots of problems in later life and babies get more nutrition from milk than solids anyway
as for the lump its probably a blocked duct, this can happen alot and is easily solved by gentle massage and different positioning, theres threads on here somewhere about those, im not too good at explaining!
hope ive helped a little, dont hesitate to ask if anything else is worrying you or you need my babble explained
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Hiya, and welcome to the forum!
Angi hit the nail on the head - sounds like a blocked duct and 12 week growth spurt. I always found growth spurts difficult, as i would always get into a great routine, and then get hit with a growth spurt! I think if you are prepared for them and know what to expect, its easier to manage through them

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:41 pm

Hello and welcome!

Great advice from girls x
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Nothing else I can add - great advise as usual.

Only think is to say you are doing a fab job and we all have these problems whether we are first time feeders or experienced as all the LO are so different.
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by marie28uk on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:45 pm

Thank you for advise Michael is poorly with a chest infection too so this adds to the worries. I will try and massage in the bath hope it doesnt hurt lol. It's nice to have found some help i really don't want to give up plus Michael will not take expressed milk from the bottle so i will struggle to change i think. i shall have a look on the site now for info on blocked ducts.

Thanks again
Marie

marie28uk

Female Number of posts : 2
Your mood today : Wary
Registration date : 2008-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:15 am

Hi & welcome, i found as i had large breasts i held mine in position to baby rather than bringing baby to me,i had blockages and its where my fingers were causing an obstucution in the flow i think. Warm shower and combing will ease hopefully, i sometimes found i massageds to vigourously making it worse but using a fine tooth comb and gently stroke down towards the nipple will not use any pressure (i know it sounds wierd!!)and it really is effective.

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com/breastfeeding-problems-f17/plugged-ducts-t3345.htm?highlight=ducts

Hope it improves for you x
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:51 pm

hello and welcome to the forum xx
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:22 pm

Hiya and welcome to the forum

I hope the girls' advice helps you
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Welcome to the forum

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kaygeebee on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi and welcome!

I went through the 12 week growth spurt a few weeks ago now ...... keep feeding frequently and you will get through it and the feeds will space out again....... honestly.

And yes, massage. If you do express at all, massage while expressing - it's really effective for helping clear a blocked duct. I express and massage every evening, and draining down and massage really helps. I know a friend used to express and massage straight after her LO had fed if she felt any lumps to work them out. Good luck! xxxxxx

kaygeebee

Female Number of posts : 127
Tell us about yourself : mum to a little boy, born August 2009
Your mood today : Bored
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi...and welcome to the forum... The girls have given great advice. Sounds like the typical 12 week growth spurt usually followed by the four month fuss where getting them to feed is difficult because its too boring, then they get too hungry and then get grumpy... But don't loose hope. Smile It does pass, just keep persevering you are doing great.
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kaygeebee on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Squiglet wrote:Hi...and welcome to the forum... The girls have given great advice. Sounds like the typical 12 week growth spurt usually followed by the four month fuss where getting them to feed is difficult because its too boring, then they get too hungry and then get grumpy... But don't loose hope. Smile It does pass, just keep persevering you are doing great.

Aha ..... yes the 4 month fuss............... we are still going through that lol! Nursing in public without baring something is nigh on impossible..................

kaygeebee

Female Number of posts : 127
Tell us about yourself : mum to a little boy, born August 2009
Your mood today : Bored
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top