Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

NITS!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

topic 10 NITS!

Post by kay on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:22 pm

Ty came home from school yesterday with nits - 1st time in our house so far!
I have cut all of their hair today, and we have all been treated with a natural tea tree solution.

No-one else has any (touch wood!) but Ty has loads bless him All of the bugs are out now, and hopefully the eggs - but there are loads of eggs! the nit comb isnt touching them - his hair is soooo fine, i am using my fingers, but its taking hours

Im hoping i got them all, will recheck him in the morning. Any advice? would the tea tree kill the eggs does anyone know?

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

topic 10 Re: NITS!

Post by emmiesmummy on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:43 pm

I was always told to coat hair in conditioner and comb through every 3/4 days. They get on the pillowcase & towels etc hth x
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:57 pm

Thanks hun. I havent done his pillow case!!!
I have washed all of the towels, but i'll check him in the morning and do the bedding tomorrow.
Ive washed all of his hats and put tea tree in them too!

I left his conditioner on (its a tea tree nit one) for about 2 hours, and dragged the come through several times, but it just didnt touch them.
Ill check him daily (well - several times a day - major paranoia lol!) and do his shampoo and conditioner every couple of days with his bath.

poor little mite hates it - he has a thing about flies and insects as it is bless him!

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:06 am

I know its horrible for them,Tara got them at primary & her hair is really thick ringlets that came down past her bum & i would sit her for literally hours going through her hair....nightmare ! seem to remember a shampoo called Vosene was also recommended.
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:44 am

its an ongoing problem in our house (except summer holidays when theyre not at school!) we use delacet, its natural and herbal and it DOES work! also for the girls i use a metal nit comb i bought from boots for 9.99 its very expensiv but in our house well worth the money, its got longer teeth and its serrated so catches eggs too. we do a check at least once a week and when the girls have a bath theyve got into the habit of going through with the comb just to make sure, all this keeps them at bay!! good luck!
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks jane and Ang.

I will have a look at those nit combs - if its worth it, then i dont mind the price!
It funny, I have always used a natural tea tree shampoo and conditioner, and then always used a tea tree leave-in repellent. I had run out a few weeks ago, so have used normal kids shampoo on them, just goes to show lol (or huge coincidence!!)

Ive always regularly checked their hair too - i guess i got a bit slack because they have never got them, but in hindsight that could be because i was doing a good job repelling them!

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:12 am

Tia has hair down to her waist and while its beautiful its also nit central. We keep her hair in a bun which is the only thing atm that has kept them at bay...but before that we had regular nit infestations. The biggest thing its to keep doing it over a period of weeks because you will never get all the eggs out so you need to just keep getting them every four days as they hatch and before they have a chance of laying eggs themselves. Also you don't need to wash everything, you can stick it in a tumble dryer on the hottest setting for a run and that will kill them too...also deep freeze does quite well too Smile

I envy you in one way... If Tia was a boy, she'd have had a crew cut and hair about a mm long... Mwahahahaaa. She had them so often...grrr.
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:14 pm

We're usung tea tree shampoo and spray on conditioner all the time, so far- knock on wood- no visitors.
Hope you'll sort it out.
You can make solution from water, lemon and tea tree oil and spray places hard to wash, after you've vacuumed them, like sofa's corners, play equipment, etc. Make sure to do the same to hats, coats, scarves and gloves.
xxx
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:18 pm

No advice form me as we haven't had the problem yet. I can see Brody having to have all his hair chopped once he starts school though...
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:29 pm

The main problem is that there are too many parents who don't care!!

It is the same children who keep the cycle going and poor parents like you who have to keep treating your children. I have one of those in my class this year grrrrrrrrrrr!!
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks girls xx
Yes Lisa, I know exactly what you mean! I spoke to the teacher who said there is constantly a couple of kids that had them, and despite talking to the parents daily, nothing gets done!
I was the one that went to the teacher to inform them that Ty had had them and to keep an eye on the others, and she was like, oh its rife!

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:27 am

yeah its exactly the same in our schools, we keep on top of them but its almost pointless because the get them back not long after- noticable because we dont get them in the summer holidays!!
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top