Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

could it be thrush or something else??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

topic2 could it be thrush or something else??

Post by momof4boyz on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:58 pm

:newhere: ok so I'm nursing my fourth son, never had this many problems before! Seems like everytime I think it's over, something else happens. This time it's a bruised pain in my left boob. It feels like I've been seriously engorged or had a blocked duct, but I've had neither. It's just on the left boob, and just on the underside more towards the outside (meaning sorta near my arm). It's very present at all times but when I touch it, reacts like a bruise plus a mild burning sensation deep inside. I had been having kind of phantom pain in lines on the underside of the same boob. That miraculously dissappeared yesterday for most of the day, then in the evening, this! I've been paranoid about thrush this time around and have no idea why because I've never had it before. I keep checking DS's mouth for white spots but find none. Could this be thrush or does anyone have a better solution?? OH! also haven't been really feeling the milk come in since this started but DS gulps and almost chokes so there must be plenty, plus he's sleeping great. confused

momof4boyz

Number of posts : 3
Tell us about yourself : I'm a full time mother of 4 beautiful boys and a strong supporter of breastfeeding. Have nursed my first 3 for 12 mo. ea. but i'm having difficulty this time around
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-07-09

Back to top Go down

topic2 Re: could it be thrush or something else??

Post by kay on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:52 pm

Hiya, and welcome to the forum! :wave:

Im not 100 % sure what it is, but to me it doesnt sound like thrush.
Ive had no other problems, but unfortunately thrush has been a recurring one for us. In me, it feels like a constant throb deep in the boob, stemming behind the nipple, and the nipple itself feels both tender sore and itchy, on the surface and below. And my LO has had oral symptoms each time (sticking tongue out a lot, white tongue or patches on gums/lip, some discomfort sucking).

Is there any redness? have you had any fever or anything? (thinking possible mastitis?)

It certainly sounds like baby is getting plenty - i certainly wouldnt worry on that front from what you say (ive never had any feelings of letdown or anything from day one!).

Are you based in the UK? if so, you could try the breastfeeding helpline, which is featured on the home page - they are absolutley fantastic ! :aww:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerpig on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:58 pm

Thrush is like a deep stabbing pain that occurs after the start of a feed, and spreads quickly from one breast to the other. You may or may not see symptoms in your son, but the skin on the nipple can look shiny, be itchy, cracked etc. Mastitis is a dull, throbbing sort of pain, usually confined to one breast only and in a very specific area. It comes from bad drainage which can be caused by a blocked duct which can itself be caused by all sorts of things including position and attachment of baby, if you've knocked the breast yourself somehow, or even from the hems in your clothes digging in.

It sounds to me more like an inflammation of some sort as by now thrush would have spread from one side to the other. The leaflets on this page:
http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/leaflets-and-publications.html
go into mastitis and thrush in much greater detail which you might find useful. I had mastitis and it started just how you described - first in the ducts inside the breast, that pain then went away than came back as a bruise like pain. When I looked, a duct leading up to the underside of my nipple was blocked and swollen. See if you can find anything blocked or lumpy, or even just check your bra hem/sides - I'm wondering if it could be that its worse in the evening as you've been wearing your bra all day which has been effecting the drainage?

If it is this, you can work on getting it all flowing again - massage, heat and lots of feeding especially from the affected side are all good. I have had 2 bouts of this - the first from my toddler kicking on the boob (It was a mistake) and the second when I'd simply fed too much on one side and not the other (the not feeding side got blocked). With that one I then fed as much as possible on the painful side, and although I couldn't find a lump, I felt something "give" when DS was feeding and it got much better after that. Good luck!

gingerpig

Female Number of posts : 38
Tell us about yourself : I'm 38 and a SAHM. My daughter was born 10th Feb 2007 and my son born 28th Jan 2009. I am tandem feeding them and am a breast feedinghelper with the BfN. I had big problems feeding DD at first, but now it couldn't be going better Smile
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://gingerpiggy.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerpig on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:59 pm

ps from the gulping and choking sounds like you could either have a fast flow or your positioning and attachment might need tweaking, both of which could help with the pain. Your boy sounds like he is doing just fine Very Happy

gingerpig

Tell us about yourself : I'm 38 and a SAHM. My daughter was born 10th Feb 2007 and my son born 28th Jan 2009. I am tandem feeding them and am a breast feedinghelper with the BfN. I had big problems feeding DD at first, but now it couldn't be going better Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:46 am

cant give any more advice as the two above have done great! Very Happy just to say though last time i had pains like that i had worn one of my bras with underwire in - one of the few times ive ventured out Laughing and it had caused the sore bruised & blocked sensation, if it does carry on or gets worse i would visit gp in case it is mastitis. hope youre better soon :aww:
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:14 am

I get this every now and then too! It just comes and lasts a day or so then it's gone again! I am starting to think it must be something to do do with what bra I wear too like Ang says scratch
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by momof4boyz on Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:05 pm

thank you all, ladies!! what a releif to know it's not thrush. I don't know why I'm so parainoid about that.... I'm still trying to figure it out though. I haven't worn any constricting bras--pretty much just sleep bras, and there is no redness anywhere. The bruising pain is gone, but I'm still getting these achy shooting pains in random places throughout the breast. worse after I feed. Also, now DS is starting to reject that breast unless fed on that side first. I wonder if it has anything do with the nipple not healing... maybe the whole thing has to do with poor latch on that side?

momof4boyz

Tell us about yourself : I'm a full time mother of 4 beautiful boys and a strong supporter of breastfeeding. Have nursed my first 3 for 12 mo. ea. but i'm having difficulty this time around

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerpig on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:52 pm

What do you mean when you say the nipple no healing? Have you had problems feeding on that side? Is the pain still on one side too?

From what you said above it may be that you have fast flow in that breast and your DS has got used to that. If you do have problems with the latch, fast flow can cover this up as the baby still gets lots of milk (or it can make it worse it all depends lol). It also sounds like something is def going on, almost like you had a minor blockage which is now clearing (as the pain in improving). DO keep an eye on it though, mastitis is awful (and I know because I've had it lol) Have you changed your feeding patterns at all? Are you now always starting on that side as DS now prefers it?

When a feed has finished, how does the nipple look, ie does it look how it did before a feed, or do you notice any changes in shape, blisters, colour changes? How do you hold your DS to feed? It must be a shock after successfully feeding your first 3 to 12 months each (and a big woo for that!) to be in pain now. I'm having similar with my DS who is a dream feeder but I've had blocked ducts, thrush, mastitis and bad P&A with him, despite none with my DD.

This is a useful guide to nipple pain:
http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/Differential_Diagnosis_of_Nipple_Pain_March_2009.pdf

If you can, a visit to a bf helper might be helpful. The BfN (who I am trained helper for) have centres all over the place plus a helpline as well as the national helpline:
http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/support-centres.html Hopefully there is someone close to you. There are lots of other sources of Bf support from the NCT, ABM etc.

Sorry to ask so many questions!

gingerpig

Back to top Go down

Post by momof4boyz on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks gingerpig, it's nice to know i'm not the only one. I think I may have fast flow on just that side and he thrusts with his tongue to keep from choking. I didn't used to, with the others, but he sucked so hard and tore the nipple open, I think it damaged a duct in there or something b/c now it just flows really fast. The other side has been completely healed for couple weeks now but there is a raw spot on the left that just won't quit. it's not terribly painful but very present. not getting worse but not better either.
until I could stand it, I was nursing him on the right first to cut down on the intensity of his sucking on the damaged one. Now I'm alternating. Do you think it's possible that could be the problem?

momof4boyz

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerpig on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:32 pm

Ahhh now this does make a lot of sense. I reckon what happened is that when you stopped feeding on one side for a while, you were effectively block feeding (when you deliberately feed from one side for a few hours and then switch), and this reduces your flow. The quickest way to speed up your flow is to alternate like you are doing, so you're building your flow back up again - hence the speed it's coming out etc. It's likely in that case the pain could also be due to slight engorgement - it's amazing how the smallest changes can trigger it.

If you've got raw spots on either nipple it's likely that your position and attachment need tweaking - he's on there, but it sounds like for example, that your nipple could be up against the palate of his mouth, rather than being drawn more fully in towards his throat. P&A that needs adjusting will mean your nipple will be constantly rubbing on his palate meaning that poor you has a constant sore spot. As it hurts, you may even be sub consciously drawing back when you feed him, which can make it worse.

It was funny with my DD it was awful at first for 2 weeks and we supplemented loads, but with DS it was great at first but I've had lots of issues ever since (all of which have gone now thankfully Smile ) So I'm with you on how different an experience it can be to BF different children.

gingerpig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top