Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Tandem Nursing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Tandem Nursing?

Post by toriaaaaTRASH on Fri May 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Well, in the very near future we're going to be TTC, then pregnant, then parents again. I very much doubt Caitlyn will stop breastfeeding before her little brother or sister comes along.. So I'm wondering, isn't the flow too fast for a newborn? How can you stop a toddler drinking all your milk? Sorry I'm clueless! xx
toriaaaaTRASH

Female Number of posts : 124
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to a princess.
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

default Re: Tandem Nursing?

Post by kay on Fri May 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Im not an expert on tandem nursing, i know a few on here have done so im sure they will help!
Basically though, due to hormones, your milk will change when your new baby arrives (and possibly in pregnancy too). The key is that the younger baby has their feed, and always has priority, as this is their ONLY source of nutrition, whereas Caitlyn has the extra source of nutrition.
Your flow shouldnt make any difference - its dependant upon your body and babies suck.

HTH a little until someone else comes along xx

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerpig on Sat May 09, 2009 9:36 am

What I've found is that tandem feeding is brilliant! it means your toddler still has access to you and also that your milk supply is ample. As you know is works on a supply and demand basis, so more demand = more milk. My milk for Michael came in at 2 days, and that was after an emergency section, unlike with Debs when it came in a 5 days after an emergency section. As the first milk will be colostrum, your newborn will gradually adapt to the flow, and then it will change to mature breast milk as before. Looking back, I have found so many benefits is nursing 2, I wouldn't have it any other way. Having said that, your milk will reduce in the second trimester and start to become colostrum at some point so your toddler may decide to self wean and then start feeding again once you've had the baby and the "normal" breast milk is back. Good luck TTC Very Happy

gingerpig

Female Number of posts : 38
Tell us about yourself : I'm 38 and a SAHM. My daughter was born 10th Feb 2007 and my son born 28th Jan 2009. I am tandem feeding them and am a breast feedinghelper with the BfN. I had big problems feeding DD at first, but now it couldn't be going better Smile
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://gingerpiggy.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by toriaaaaTRASH on Sun May 10, 2009 6:56 pm

I don't think she'll stop feeding when my supply goes down. She's a big comfort feeder, so I think even when the supply dwindles she'll still come to me for comfort. I'm excited. Tandem nursing is scarey though, I didn't even think I was going to breast feed!
toriaaaaTRASH

Female Number of posts : 124
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to a princess.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerpig on Sun May 10, 2009 7:27 pm

Awwwww I remember being terrified at the prospect of it! Felt really overwhelming - can totally see where you're coming from, especially as you weren't planning on bf one! It is amazing how it works, Deborah (who is 2) had a tummy bug not long after Michael was born (January this year) and because she felt so rough, she just fed and fed and fed! As well as Michael feeding and feeding as he was only a couple of weeks old or so. So it can be done and its so lovely! Plus you can feed them together and that's really cute.

gingerpig

Female Number of posts : 38
Tell us about yourself : I'm 38 and a SAHM. My daughter was born 10th Feb 2007 and my son born 28th Jan 2009. I am tandem feeding them and am a breast feedinghelper with the BfN. I had big problems feeding DD at first, but now it couldn't be going better Smile
Your mood today : Content
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://gingerpiggy.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rhi'smummy on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:29 pm

I'm a few weeks late to this thread, but I'm feeding Rhianna and Scarlett and I love it too. THere are times I really dont love it, like when they're both screaming blue murder and I'm trying to latch Scarlett on and Rhianna is saying its not fair and trying to undress me so she can have some too, but then I think how it would be if I wasn't feeding Rhianna and she still wanted/demanded cuddles and got jealous of Scarlett having all the attention. And the difficult times are few and far between, but the lovely times, like when they're both feeding and holding hands and I'm catching up on neighbours, are often and definitely make up for it.
I found the best way for us was to let them have one side each, Scarlett likes a big feed not very often, but Rhianna is a big comfort feeder too and it was too much to expect her to wait 4 hours during the day sometimes till Scarlett had had her fill, and it worked fine. I was worried she wouldn't put on enough weight, but she's stuck to her line brilliantly, and has plenty of wet/dirty nappies, so its worked ok.
The main problem I've found is because Rhianna went milk mad for quite a while, but has settled down again now, my milk supply went a bit mad too and I got very engorged a few times, especially at night, but thats calmed down again quite quickly too.
As for flow, Scarlett doesn't like my left side, it seems to be much a faster flow than the right for some reason, she'll have it now when she's hungry, but then switches to the left to doze off. I noticed quite early on to that she's completely different to Rhianna, as I said Rhianna is a big comfort feeder, but Scarlett usually lets go once she's full and very rarely feeds to sleep. She'll feed till she's about to drop off to sleep and then likes to go up on my shoulder and falls asleep there.
Good luck TTC and everything that follows.
rhi'smummy

Female Number of posts : 511
Tell us about yourself : Mum to milk monster Rhianna
Registration date : 2007-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top