Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Were near the end - UPDATED 1ST POST

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Were near the end - UPDATED 1ST POST

Post by happy_chick on Wed May 06, 2009 12:01 pm

UPDATE 13/05/09

Well yesterday morning she refused boob at first then we tried again and she had a feed for a lil bit, really enjoyed it as I knew it was the last one that I'd be giving her in bed as we were planning on changing the routine. This morning I tried feeding her & she point blank refused, pulled away and asked for her juice, i've tried a couple of times and since and shes just totally refusing so I think thats her finished

I'm sooooooo proud that we've got to 16 months (well a few days short) because my initial aim was 6 weeks!!! I'm feeling a bit mixed, really proud & a bit sad cos its the end of an era and I'm a bit gutted as I didnt get a pic because I didnt expect her to stop so suddenly, gunna try and get her to pose later but I dont think she will I have pics from when she was about 11 months but none recent.

So big up my boobies for doing me proud & well done to Ellie for becoming independant and weaning off herself I'm so glad shes self weaned & i've not had to encourage her, shes done so well my baby girl is growing up, nooooo!
Crying or Very sad

YAY for us both x
:boob: :boob: :boob:

Ellie is very close to stopping BF, i'd say we have a couple of weeks at the most. I feel soooo emotional & everytime I think about it I cant help but get upset Sad

She no longer 'asks' for breast & its become a sort of routine where she wakes up at 7am, comes in bed with me & i offer her breast then she goes back to bed, she never refuses but she doesnt 'ask' so I have decided to break the routine as I have a feeling she doesnt need breast anymore and shes just feeding because its being offered as she literally only takes a few sucks then pulls off anyway.

Its been a gradual thing and shes done it all herself with no encouragement so i'm happy about that but i'm so scared of her stopping, it feels like the end of an era and I feel soooo emotional thinking that i'll never breastfeed her again. I know we've done really well to get to almost 16 months & i'm soooo proud of us both, i'm even more proud that shes stopping herself & it shows my baby girl is independant and growing up! Smile

I'm ready for a break and chance to give my body/hormones chance to settle down properly before we TTC again, in my head I know its time and shes ready to stop breastfeeding as the only reason she still feeds is because I offer but I still feel soooo emotional about it all, i'm presuming its normal as its been a big part of our lives for so long & its strange thinking it wont be soon enough!

Sorry this is a bit of a self obessesed post, just needed to write down how i'm feeling! I'm sat here with tears running down my cheeks Laughing what an over emotional softy i am!! lol x

(I have posted this on another forum too but thought I could support from here too as i'm sure some of you have been through it)

Last edited by happy_chick on Wed May 13, 2009 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : UPDATE 13/05/09)
happy_chick

Female Number of posts : 115
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Back to top Go down

default Re: Were near the end - UPDATED 1ST POST

Post by emmiesmummy on Wed May 06, 2009 1:16 pm

Sad i think this is fully understandable & i know when my time comes i will feel just the same.
Just think of the incredible start to life you have given her & how she has been able to chose when to wean herself.

Well done you should be a proud mummy x
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Wed May 06, 2009 2:16 pm

im sure everyone on here understands what youre going through, i know i do, youve both done fantastic to get to this age and its great that she is independent enough to choose to stop so much less hassle if its done gradually. its a really emotional thing so its ok to cry! just remember though you will always have that closeness to look back on and theres so much more to look forward to.
oh and good luck ttc when the time comes Smile :aww: :aww:
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by happy_chick on Thu May 07, 2009 7:18 am

Thanks ladies Smile

I expected more responses to be honest Sad maybe people havent actually stopped yet so cant help with how im feeling?
happy_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Thu May 07, 2009 7:41 am

:aww: You have done brilliantly!

I think getting as far as you have with her is something to be very proud of and I can understand how you are feeling (not long until I can do it again!)

Well done Happy Chick! :cheer:

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Thu May 07, 2009 10:10 am

Oh Jo I remember this feeling well :aww: :aww:
You have done so well hun and it's fantastic that she has decided for herself it's time to stop.
You have given her the best start possible I hope you are proud of yourself :cheer:

It's understandable you will be emotional :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww:
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug on Thu May 07, 2009 6:23 pm

I felt like this when Emily began weaning herself at 13months - I was so ready to BF long term but she lost interest and I was offering and sh wasn't interested. I knew she would probably be my last child so I felt a wrench when she stopped.

Buut strangely I was also glad to have my body back and to not have her so reliant on me (she would nver take EBM so it was me or nothing)

It is a confusing time but just think you will get to do it all over again!!
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerpig on Thu May 07, 2009 7:58 pm

How is she doing now? I must admit my daughter went through a phase of slowing down, but now that I have a new baby, she is feeding masses again. I honestly thought she would stop when I was pregnant and at the time I felt devastated, especially as she didn't feed for 3 days. Looking back on it, it may have been a small nursing strike as we had just been on holiday, and the stress of that plus my milk changing through pregnancy prob brought it on. Is there anything else happening atm that might be changing for your daughter? Lots of things can change the way your BM changes - is there a chance you could be pregnant again already?

Anyway, you have done fabulously to get to 16 months, and it's quite natural you should grieve and celebrate the ending of such a special chapter in you and your daughter's life.

gingerpig

Female Number of posts : 38
Tell us about yourself : I'm 38 and a SAHM. My daughter was born 10th Feb 2007 and my son born 28th Jan 2009. I am tandem feeding them and am a breast feedinghelper with the BfN. I had big problems feeding DD at first, but now it couldn't be going better Smile
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://gingerpiggy.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by happy_chick on Thu May 07, 2009 8:21 pm

Thanks ladies Smile I'm going to start getting up & feeding her sat up in bed firstly and see how she reacts, then i'll stop offering and see if she asks. I'll keep you informed!

Gingerpig - She has gradually dropped feeds over time and then this last morning feed has very gradually got shorter & shorter. Its been a very slow process over 4-5 months & there is nothing at all going on that has encouraged her or could have caused it. I think shes just generally loosing interest & growing up, shes always been very independant so I think this is just the next step for her.

xx
happy_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Fri May 08, 2009 7:37 am

:aww:

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Fri May 08, 2009 6:11 pm

:bighug: at least she is doing it when she wants, and she hasnt been forced to stop.

Congratulations on being a fab mummy and giving her the best start! :boob:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen on Sat May 09, 2009 7:00 pm

You've given your little girl the best possible start in life and i always thing whenever possible letting a child self wean is the kindest thing to do, i no its not always possible though. And letting your little girl self ween is brilliant well done :aww:

Last edited by Helen on Thu May 14, 2009 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by happy_chick on Wed May 13, 2009 12:02 pm

Update 1st post x
happy_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Wed May 13, 2009 12:04 pm

cheers :boob: well done to both of you :aww: :aww: :aww:
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by happy_chick on Wed May 13, 2009 12:07 pm

Thank you! :aww:
happy_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Wed May 13, 2009 4:50 pm

Well done Jo you have done amazing cheers cheers cheers cheers
16 months is brilliant cheers cheers cheers

I know how you feel about the photo though I was looking through mine from Brody and my last ones were about 11 months too! :iconsad: Never mind we have our memories don't we? :aww:
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by happy_chick on Wed May 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Yeh we defo do have our memories Jools, its something we can never forget! x Very Happy

Thanks girls, I actually feel alot better about it than I have done this past week. Ellie is happy so that means I am too Very Happy end of an era & start of the next stage! x
happy_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Wed May 13, 2009 6:26 pm

congratulations hun - youve both done so well! :boob:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top