Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Breastfeeding again

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Announcement Breastfeeding again

Post by Natasha on Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 am

:wave: Hello

Well not long now until this little missy arrives and I have been thinking about what breastfeeding is going to be like again.

What are your experiences doing it second/third time round? did you face different problems that you didn't have before?

See I found breastfeeding Olivia all in all very easy, we had very few problems and only found the growth spurts to be abit of a struggle but I coped.

I am most certianly hoping to go much longer this time than a year and hoping Olivia will be ok with me breasfeeding another baby (im sure she will be fine, but have no idea how she will be)

So how were your second feeding journeys?

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Announcement Re: Breastfeeding again

Post by angpixi on Tue May 05, 2009 9:41 am

I think ive said before in another post that all of my bf experiences have been different, all of them were completely different feeders! Willow being the most demanding!
At least this time round if you do have any problems youre well prepared! you will be alot more confident in youself to deal with anything that crops up (though im bf no 5 and still have to ask for reassurance now and again!)
Have you thought about preparing olivia to see you feeding another baby? i know it sounds silly but 'practice' with her dolls and explain you will be feeding the new one like this?
hth Smile
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Tue May 05, 2009 10:00 am

Thanks Ang Very Happy

Well I have spoke to her about 'booby feeding' she gets my boobs out and trys to grab me nips Embarassed Razz and I tell her that Charlotte will be getting mummy milk from there, which she agrees with (whether she understands or not i don't know) and I say to her what are boobies for and she says to feed Charlotte Laughing
Which she then tells me she has two boobies and that Lou feeds babies Razz

I think she will be fine, I just hope Charlotte will be as 'easy' (other than the what to expect ie sore nips etc)

I haven't thought about it too much and not particularly worried, but I do think I have to expect her to either want to have ago herself (which doesn't bother me) or to maybe feel slightly jealous?

I will get her involved as much as I can, shes pretty switched on with whats going on around her.

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy on Tue May 05, 2009 12:06 pm

I think that even if this time round isnt such smooth sailing you will ease through any minor issues as you now have plenty of knowledge on how to overcome them. I found having failed at :boob: i naturally gave up 2nd time round thinking i must be the problem. Having now succesfully :boob: Emily ,if i had another i wouldnt have these negative hangups & therefore would be more able to perservere if it proved problamatic.

I just meet a friend this morning whos :boob: her new baby (5 weeks prem) and she was saying the only difference shes found this time (she stopped feeding her other son about 5 months ago) is her flow is faster,but has found it easier as she is confident from day one & even fed him in the park today whereas with her first it took months to feed in public.

You must be quite excited at the prospect of feeding again,i know when Emily does stop im going to miss it terribly.
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel on Tue May 05, 2009 2:05 pm

I have found that I'm generally more relaxed about the whole thing this time round. With Oli I usd to time feeds and be really conscious of how often he fed (even write it down), with her I just thought I'll feed her as much as she wants...even when it was only an hour ago that she was fed last. Sometimes she wants just a drink and others times it's a full-on feast!! :boob:
I've been more confident feeding in public and less worried about what people are thinking...tbh most people don't even realise...a few have come up to see Evie and only realised when they have gotten very close.
Didn't have as much of a problem with sore nipples this time either.
Oli has been great really...but he always seem to need a No. 2 when I'm feeding her...it's amazing what you can do while bf :haha:. He even carries his little dog around in a makeshift sling and says he's feeding his doggy!
Really enjoying it this time tho...in no hurry for it to end...will be sad when it does :iconsad:
Hope you enjoy it too!!
Rachel

Female Number of posts : 50
Tell us about yourself : Mum of two, Oli 4 yrs ( breastfed for 18 months) and Evie 16 months old and still going strong.
Primary teacher and married to a secondary teacher and a wonderful hubby who completely supports me in breastfeeding.
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Tue May 05, 2009 2:10 pm

Aeryn was a similar age to Olivia when Willow was born and as you know id just stopped feeding her about a month before Willow was born. I was concerned that Aeryn would become jealous, she was fine though, she did try it a couple of times, but really only put her mouth on and didnt suck! Sometimes when shes role playing with the other girls and shes the baby she will try it again but it is just pretend! She does bf her own babies though when shes the mammy!
I agree Rachel, its surprising what you can do while babies attatched! and yes as Jane and Rachel say it does seem easier to bf in public second time round!
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Tue May 05, 2009 5:38 pm

Ooo thank you everyone!

Oh yeah the breastfeeding in public already does not phase me in slightest, infact I can't wait to do it Razz

I was going to carry Lottie round in a sling too incase of 'convenient poos and wees' Rolling Eyes Razz she can carry on feeding while Livi has my attention.

I am really excited about feeding again, I hope it goes just aswell! it seems it will with what you have all said Very Happy

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Well, this is 1st time breastfeeding, but obviously i had 2 toddlers to contend with, which was one worry when pg.
Luckily they were fine, and i always tried to prepare a few things, like have a drink and snack ready for them, but to be honest, its never been a problem.
I did find that Jamie would find 'something' every time i started to feed, but i could tell by the look on his face he was being awkward!
I always answered questions honestly, and have been open with them in all aspects (even where baby came from!). Jamie has tried breastmilk, he asked to, which i was fine with, and he was just curious and only asked the once (i think he expected me to say no, so was shocked lol!) Tys never been interested, he said he had it as a baby (only 3 days bless him) and he is happy with his big boy milk now!

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Wed May 06, 2009 7:33 am

Very Happy Aww Kay bless them!

Yeah I think Olivia will proberly find something she 'needs' doing but will try and make sure I just involve her as much as possible.

Thanks everyone!

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Wed May 06, 2009 8:16 am

I'm finding things so much easier this time round Very Happy
We still had a few latching issues to start with like we did with Brody but because I had more confidence and I wasn't stressing that was sorted alot quicker and I didn't get nearly as sore as I did with Brody!
I'm alot happier feeding in public this time round too Very Happy

I was scared of how Brody would react but he has been brilliant! When Colby cries he always shouts more milk or quick milk again Laughing
He has got a new fascination with my boobs though and every now and then he will peer down my top Laughing

He has asked for it once. One night he woke up in the night sobbing and when I went in to see to him he snuggled into me and pulled at my top and said milk please. I asked him if he wanted some mummy milk and he said yes but by the time I had sat down he had jumped back into bed bless him.
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Wed May 06, 2009 10:20 pm

I found it so much easier this time round. I was more confident, happier in my decision, and much more educated.

I always compared it to riding a tandem bike, the first time both of you need to learn, and neither of you are very good at it...next time round, only one of you need to learn, and you just need to tweak your methods sometimes.

I also found that this time round, I have appreciated everything much more, knew the nipple pain would go and it didn't last as long anyway. All round it was so much better. Not only that I realised how much I missed breastfeeding.

There is 8 years between my two so I would have thought I would have been completely out of practice.

Get excited because you are doing it all again Smile
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Thu May 07, 2009 7:45 am

Very Happy Thank you Jools and Squiglet

I am really excited about doing it again and defiantly feel much more prepared and I know I will eb able to 'enjoy' it more as I a wont be worried about how much she is getting etc as I know my boobies can do it! :boob:

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug on Thu May 07, 2009 6:18 pm

It was more of a challenge this time around as Emily was very small (couldn't open her mouth wide!) and jaundiced so she was very lethargic. I was used to a very hungry boy who emptied me out both sides at each feed.
Emily was a cluster feeder and never took both sides until she was much older - she was restless in the evenings and this did stress me out a bit until I realised she was just different and went with it.

Also having a toddler makes it different - Connor was not jealous as he knew Emily would be BF but he did resent the contact she had at times (more so because of my cesarean and him wanting his usual mummy cuddles that I was too sore for in the early weeks) he couldn't understand why she could lay on me and not him!!

He was also a mummys boy who likes a lot of attention so I made a special BF box that he used to get for BF times - lots of quiet activities and special books that I could read to him. It worked wonders and by the time it had lost its novelty he was used to me BF (luckily as she never fed for long at a time so he never had to wait long (if it's been him it would be 40mins at a time)

You definatly feel more confident and relaxed the second time and of course you have a fab network of support!! :aww:
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Thu May 07, 2009 8:06 pm

:aww: Thanks Lisa.

Yes I have thought abotu havign 'special books' or soemthign around me when I am feeding Charlotte so I would still have one on one with Olivia.

Oli is number 1 here so I can imagine it will upset her a little so will try everything I can to make sure shes happy Very Happy

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum