Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Public Breastfeeding made clear!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

topic3 Public Breastfeeding made clear!

Post by Squiglet on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:21 pm

We all know in the UK you can breastfeed in public without fear of discrimination until 6 months...well thats not true... Its apparently indefinitely cheers http://www.babiesnappies.co.uk/2008/07/20/breastfeeding-in-public-the-laws-made-clear/ Just in case this hadn't been posted before Smile
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

topic3 Re: Public Breastfeeding made clear!

Post by kay on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:03 pm

Thats a really clearly written article, and has furthed my understanding of the law!
Thanks Squiglet! :aww:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:05 am

Brilliant thanks for that Squiglet :nicethread:
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:43 am

Thank you!! Very Happy

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:21 pm

i wrote to my mp and got the same response about how you could take legal action over a cafe or whoever if they challenged you to stop feeding a baby. Which is brilliant - and thanks squiglet for sharing the link.

But just out of interest, would it cost a lot to take someone to court if it came to it? I read somewhere (i think it was the blog of the woman who organises the breastfeeding picnics) that it means a woman would have to pay to take a company to court over it. Rolling Eyes
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:59 pm

not sure on that one - but IF i was ever asked to stop feeding or leave a premises, I would refuse and call the police from my mobile to say i was being harassed by someone breaking the law.

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen on Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:18 pm

kay wrote:not sure on that one - but IF i was ever asked to stop feeding or leave a premises, I would refuse and call the police from my mobile to say i was being harassed by someone breaking the law.

yes i would do exactly the same. in the early days i used to look around to see if people were staring and giving me looks, and i was constantly ready if someone started with me as i would have gone balistic at them lol. But to be honest i dont think anyone as ever batted an eyelid when i have been :boob: in public. It might just be my opinion but i think negative situations were people are treated badly for feeding in public are few and far between thank god (even though no woman should ever be intimidated for feeding) and it tends to be them that make the headlines - or am i just being niave? Laughing
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:21 pm

No Helen, i think you are right.
We all know there is negativity out there - but i think because there are laws out there to protect us, when an issue is made, women are using their rights by going to the press, using the internet etc to let people know which company etc has done this to them

Im like you - i have always fed in public - and have always waited for that 1 person to say anything, and they never have. Like you say, you look round, and no-one is batting an eye! the only public comments i have received have been positive (mainly grandmas saying its lovely to see and brings back happy memories!)

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Mervs Mum on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 pm

It's great that we are protected under the sex disc. act BUT they can still ask you to stop and it's YOUR responsibility to take THEM to court. The police cant do a thing. If the new legislation comes in it would make it a criminal offence to even ask you to stop. That's more like it!! The police could then do something about it.
IMO it should be an offence to even ask a woman to stop BFing.
Mervs Mum

Female Number of posts : 221
Tell us about yourself : Lisa, Mummy to Emily, 14 & Hebe: My Little Pickle...x
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : -1
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:52 am

cheers
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Mervs Mum wrote:It's great that we are protected under the sex disc. act BUT they can still ask you to stop and it's YOUR responsibility to take THEM to court. The police cant do a thing. If the new legislation comes in it would make it a criminal offence to even ask you to stop. That's more like it!! The police could then do something about it.
IMO it should be an offence to even ask a woman to stop BFing.

Absolutely!! Which is why there is still a campaign going on to change the law in England to be the same as the law in Scotland.
I posted about a breastfeeding picnic which is being held in Parliament square, even if you don't intend to go, please sign the petition to get the law change.

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by metalgreymon on Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Seems to be an error on that site so i can't read the article, will try again later.
metalgreymon

Female Number of posts : 113
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 5 children. all breastfed for varying lenghs of time. Llando has fed the longest.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-03-09

http://www.planetllando.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top