Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

someone please help :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default someone please help :(

Post by kayzee on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:26 pm

ok i think ive hit my first brick wall :tear:

the past 2 days poppy has been reall struggling to latch on and when she does get on shes not been on for mor than 5 mins, as you can imagine she has been getting really hungry so feeding more often but thats to be expected. have sailed through till now and been really pleased with myself but i think we are failing at :boob: :tear: :tear:
ive never succeeded before and wondering if its happening again? ive tried waking her, feeding after a bath, change of position letting her feed as and when she wants but its like my milk is dwindling.
my partner is coming to stay tonight so ive been trying for the past hour to express so he can give her a feed tonight, but before when ive done it ive got 3ozs off each side and had loads left in still, but today ive only managed 1/2oz from both sides added together and im in bits :tear: :tear: :tear:
im eating well drinking loads and not overdoing it, just chillin and concentrating on feeding my 2 week old daughter so whats gone wrong?
someone please help :tear: :tear: :tear: i dont wanna give up i love it :boob:

kayzee

Number of posts : 6
Tell us about yourself : Hi im kaye nearly hitting the big 40 and Mum to 4 gorgeous kids. Ben is 16, Lee is 15, Tia is 2yrs 4months and i have a 9 day old daughter called poppy. I am currently a single mummy which is really hard but ever so rewarding.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

default Re: someone please help :(

Post by Natasha on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:17 pm

Ok first of all does she have any white in her mouth? on her tongue (especialy towards the back)

Is she figgity when she starts to feed?

What positions have you tried to feed her in? (look at the top of the forum on the main page for suggestions)

While trying to find out whats up I strongly suggest you pump in between and during feeds if she isn't latching on much, just to keep your supply up.

Your not failing, infact its proberly something very minor and I woouldn't question your ability to feed your baby.
Your doing very well, keep up the skin to skin and I will help as much as I can :aww:

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:35 pm

Do you mind me asking if your large breast'd or your swollen and therefore shes having trouble almost getting onto your nipple? I found that Emily struggled & i had to squeeze milk out a bit first so the nipple was a bit more exposed & i also had to manipulate to nipple a be fairly forceful in putting her on to it for her to latch. Try lots of different positions and dont get hung up on the traditional baby on pillow nipple to nose Emily to begin with would only feed well if i was lying down.

Find out if theres a breastfeeding counsellor in your area or ask health visitor to send someone out to help & check your latch they normally come out very quickly.

Hope you get sorted, please dont feel you have to give up. Theres always an answer & a way to get through its just finding the solution xx
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:15 pm

emmiesmummy wrote:Do you mind me asking if your large breast'd or your swollen and therefore shes having trouble almost getting onto your nipple? I found that Emily struggled & i had to squeeze milk out a bit first so the nipple was a bit more exposed & i also had to manipulate to nipple a be fairly forceful in putting her on to it for her to latch. Try lots of different positions and dont get hung up on the traditional baby on pillow nipple to nose Emily to begin with would only feed well if i was lying down.

Find out if theres a breastfeeding counsellor in your area or ask health visitor to send someone out to help & check your latch they normally come out very quickly.

Hope you get sorted, please dont feel you have to give up. Theres always an answer & a way to get through its just finding the solution xx

Ooo didn't think of that one :aww:

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:51 pm

I always found lying down helped a lot Smile Its unlikely that you are failing at breastfeeding, it just sounds like a normal reaction from a breastfed baby who has an small issue. If you correct that issue you will find its easier. Smile

Both Natasha and Emmiesmummy give good ideas to the problem. If these don't seem to work, I found that lil miss had wind issues and it really upset her, I'd have to wind her regularly, then introduce infacol too. You could also try getting her weighed, if she has gained a lot of weight, she could be going through a fussy weight gain period...? I more trying to make suggestions as to the reasons behind your LO's problem with feeding other than those suggested. Definitely try each one to find a solution.
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:03 am

just thought i should mention its hard to pump when your milk flow isnt established- am i right that your daughter is only 2 weeks? when i pump i only manage to get off a miniscule amount any way! your supply doesnt even out until about 6wks so dont look at that as an indication of your ability to feed. hope you get it sorted, sorry the message a bit disjointed ive a wriggly baby wanting attention! :aww: :aww:
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:32 am

I read this yesterday but didn't have chance to reply :aww:

Colby was having, and still does at times, problems latching on. He seems so bloody hungry all the time he is getting himself in a flap trying to rush if that makes sense? He also seems to have problems with wind and really struggles to get it out
I did read that they go through a growth spurt at 2-3 weeks so maybe this is what we are both experiencing? I know if Colby isn't asleep or feeding he is screaming Crying or Very sad and can literally be back on the boob 5 minutes after a long feed.

For the latching problem, I do find changing positions helps alot. It seems what will work one minute won't the next so it's lying down one feed, sitting up the next etc.

I hope things get easier for you soon :aww:
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by kayzee on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:41 pm

Hi everyone 👋

My god am i so glad i got shown this forum I was on the verge of giving up and was desperate and just to know that someone else is going through or has gone through it is a life saver in itself.

Ok I have checked her mouth and no sign whatsoever of thrush ot anything else that would hinder her latching on, In fact she does latch really well when she isnt getting into a hungry flap. Its been known for her to latch on my fingers skin anything she can get her mouth round if shes that hungry and by the time i get to feeding her undoing bra etc shes rooting for england, I do sometimes just put her on the boob in between even if she doesnt seem hungry as the more she suckles the more i will produce
Yes i am big chested a 40J Embarassed and i find i have to support myself or the poor little might will end up under a boob that is bigger than her Very Happy
I do find holding her in the rugby ball position under the arm the easiest as i can guide her head into latching on properly and she does seem to feed better this way.
I have also tried laying down,cradle hold, letting her lay on a cushion etcetc some days she will feed like a trooper in one position and wont even entertain it the next which i find very strange.
Ive also had her weighed and she has only put on 3ozs in a week and is now 8lb which the health visitor is pleased with, she said when shes awake she is bright and alert and shes deffo not skinny so she said we are doing great and to stick at it. I did ask about bf counsillor but our area doesnt have one but she says any problems to just call her and she will come round to help which is really good as shes so lovely
We do have a wind issue especially at night for some reason and have resorted to infacol to help her to settle, she does the most amazing farts ive ever heard from such a little baby its unreal!!!!
she also feeds sometimes for ages then comes off as if shes full only to scream 5 mins later to go back on, this can be for 2 or 3 hours in the night which is exhausting.
Ive been advised not to pump between feeds but to let her suck as often as she wants as this will build supply up quicker than pumping and she will be getting topped up continuosly as she does.
I really thought that was it for us but have read peoples replies and looked into the growth spurt thing and realise that the awful time i was having is pretty much just the norm so i dont feel at all bad about it now.
I knew bf was going to be hard but im so determined to not fail and with the help of you lovely ladies on here i am beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel even if its a long way off, Me and poppy are determined to get there

Thanks everyone :bf1: :bighug: xxx

kayzee

Number of posts : 6
Tell us about yourself : Hi im kaye nearly hitting the big 40 and Mum to 4 gorgeous kids. Ben is 16, Lee is 15, Tia is 2yrs 4months and i have a 9 day old daughter called poppy. I am currently a single mummy which is really hard but ever so rewarding.
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:53 pm

:aww:

Yes it does sound like a growth spurt.

And I agree with putting her on instead of pumping, I was recommending it incase she wasn't going on enough and remember your pump flow is not reflection of how much breastmilk you have as shes much better getting it out that you.

And I love you bfing pic, so beautiful!!! bliss

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:14 pm

Gorgeous picture Kaye :boob: :aww:

Poppy & Colby sound so familiar! I could have written most of that!
You are doing so well hun :aww: These first few weeks are so bloody hard but believe me it DOES get so much easier and you will forget all about these hard times. I've been reminded of how hard it was with Brody Laughing

:aww: :aww:
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:41 pm

gorgeous pic! :lovey: glad things are easier for you :aww:
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:35 pm

Awww she is gorgeous!!

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:34 pm

Nothing extra to add just wanted to reassure you that it does get easier - and in the longer term is much better that making up bottles and sterilising equip!!

I found after the first 6 weeks I was much more settled and so were both of mine - even though each was a very different feeder to the other.

You are doing great :aww:

And great to have Jools to chat to as she has done it all before and is doing it now!
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:50 pm

HIya Kaye - sorry, only just seen this post Embarassed

the 1st 6 weeks are the most trying, and if you get through, the rest is plain sailing in comparison! :aww:

Your HV sounds supportive, which is great!

I too am big boobed (34L) and found differing positions helped. I struggled lying down to strart, but it is now my fave position! I found feeding pillows etc didnt help, as my boobs reach my knees anyway when i am sitting down, so i dont need baby any closer!! :iconredface:

You know we are here for help and support every step of the way - keep up the good work :bighug: (and beautiful piccy btw! :lovey: )

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:08 pm

Very Happy im really glad things are looking more positive today, i can honestly say the most important thing with breastfeeding is having support. Im also blessed with 34L breasts & the do make things a bit more tricky at the start but the bigger baby gets this easier it will become. For some breastfeeding can be hard work & i know i have experienced a rough ride but every problem has a solution & the joy & feeling of accomplishment is fantanstic ,remember we have all been there so no question is too small & always ask for help if you need it.

Most of all well done...
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:39 pm

It is really reassuring to know that there are others out there who understand what you are going through.
I agree that this forum is brill and will certainly be spreading the word to other breastfeeding mums I meet.
Keep up the good work!! :cheer:
Rachel

Female Number of posts : 50
Tell us about yourself : Mum of two, Oli 4 yrs ( breastfed for 18 months) and Evie 16 months old and still going strong.
Primary teacher and married to a secondary teacher and a wonderful hubby who completely supports me in breastfeeding.
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum