Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

The Case Against Breastfeeding

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default The Case Against Breastfeeding

Post by Squiglet on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:50 pm

After perusing many of the breastfeeding websites, I happened upon this article. Suspect

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200904/case-against-breastfeeding

I don't like it... I don't like it at all. Evil or Very Mad

I did find a good rebuttal though:

Rebuttal - http://www.latchbabies.com/?p=112
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

default Re: The Case Against Breastfeeding

Post by Natasha on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:45 pm

I have'nt got time to read it yet, but just at a glance I don't like it either Evil or Very Mad

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:34 pm

I just skimmed through it too Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad
Going to try to get time for a proper read later on
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by crazymummy on Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:52 pm

Just read through most of it, (got a bit bored towards the end). Seems all based on one woman's opinon with no real ground.

I found her comment about how when she told other :boob: mums that she was considering stopping after a month interesting.

'At this remark, the air of insta-friendship we had established cooled
into an icy politeness, and the mothers shortly wandered away to chase
little Emma or Liam onto the slide'

What exactly is 'icy politeness'? And how awful of them to get up and pay attention to their children. Sounds to me like paranoia I often sense in mums I have come across who bottle-feed. I recently went to a baby group where I was the only one who :boob:. Only thing I had said was that I breastfeed, and a few minutes a conversation started between them about how they hate the breast is best message. Many think that :boob: mums look down on them when clearly it is their own doubts that is bothering them.
crazymummy

Female Number of posts : 76
Tell us about yourself : I've got 2 gorgeous girls and I love being a breastfeeding mum.
Your mood today : Wary
Thanks and Reputation points : 2
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:12 pm

Evil or Very Mad
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug on Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:30 pm

I started to read but got bored very quickly - agree that she is obvioulsy trying to defend her own actions by discrediting the advantages of BF!!
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:29 pm

Don't waste your time on it. It is purely an opinion piece.

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:29 pm

Drusilla wrote:Don't waste your time on it. It is purely an opinion piece.

I do agree. It is just an opinion piece but ironically in the states this woman has gained quite a following, as well as appearing in magazines and on the TV about this. Knowing that fads from the states tend to trickle over to Europe at some stage it is wearisome in the sense that we fight so hard to get breastfeeding viewed as the natural, normal thing to do to have 1 persons opinion destroy that.

There does seem to be a lot of that underlying guilt where the author feels compelled to explain her decisions though Shocked
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:42 am

Yes I have found this too, a lot is down to guilt.

If a parent is 100% happy with their parenting choice ie choosing bottle or breast, would not be botherd about what anyone thought of their method of feeding.

I am 100% happy I chose to breastfeed Oli and don't give two hoots whether someone agrees with it or not and I am sure there are parents out there who were/are 100% happy they chose to bottlefeed and are happy and couldn't give a damn about what anyone else thought.

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:38 am

Hmmm...this woman has spent a very long time trying to discredit breastfeeding and strangely enough is still breastfeeding! If she feels that strongly about it why keep doing it??? If you don't want to BF then don't...but don't make such a fuss about it or belittle those who feel very strongly that it is the right thing for baby.

I think it is guilt or paranoia about what others think. It's funny though I've met many mums who feel like they have to justify why they don't BF and feel guilty about it, but I have never met a mum who felt guilty about breastfeeding their baby. It's sad though, that any mum should feel guilty or feel forced into feeling guilty if they feel what they are doing is right for their baby and for them.

:newhere: love all these little icons!!!!
Rachel

Female Number of posts : 50
Tell us about yourself : Mum of two, Oli 4 yrs ( breastfed for 18 months) and Evie 16 months old and still going strong.
Primary teacher and married to a secondary teacher and a wonderful hubby who completely supports me in breastfeeding.
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by nilmerg on Fri May 08, 2009 10:55 am

I'm going to rock the boat here a little. I actually enjoyed reading the article! As Drusilla points out, it is purely an opinion piece, and although it has some fact, it is obviously skewed to her view point. I actually found it very amusing in parts. I was concerned the references she gives are quite old...I think there was one from the 50's and even 2001 could be considered out of date in terms of medical research. Also I do not believe that she could possibly have looked at all of the studies of BF, our governments wouldn't be suggesting such guidelines if it were not based on medical fact....they don't just do it to keep us 'tied' to our babies!

I found it interesting in that she points out the difficulties in actually studying BF since you can't 'tell' a group of mothers that they should breastfeed and tell the other half to Bottle feed. It has to be an observational study based on the mothers own choice which is always going to be influenced by other personal and cultural factors. (baby wearing, cloth nappies, co-sleeping....to name just 3 things that are more common in breastfeeding families)

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't support her opinions. I breastfed my LO until 15 months and then only stopped because of extreme morning sickness with number 2 (dehydration, lots of drips and a hospital stay). And I plan to BF the new baby as long as it wants (I would love to make the WHO recommended 2 years, but don't tell DH, he thinks 12 months is enough!).

I think the authorís choice of subject for what is essentially a comedy article is in poor taste. She is belittling our efforts in promoting breast feeding by quoting from very few 'selected' medical research papers. And she also sits on the fence so badly, suggesting that breastfeeding is not worth the effort and yet continuing to part-time breastfeed. Obviously there are some other benifits she hasn't considered or discussed...emotional, convenience....

Breast is best....there is no denying it.
nilmerg

Number of posts : 12
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gingerpig on Fri May 08, 2009 2:43 pm

Some good points nilmerg, and well done on making to 15 months. It is always interesting to read what the "other side" thinks and yes, not remarkable that the research she uses to make her points is so old! Quite by the by but I assume you had hyperemisis? I had an extremely mild dose of that and managed to keep on feeding, but I was sooooooo grumpy and horrible. Feel for anyone who had to go to hospital and all that with it.

I agree with what some of you are saying about the paranoia of bottle feeding mums, this article is a great example of that. I really hate the projections other mum's put on me because I breast feed, you know often I really dont want to talk about it, just get on with it. Also, I hate feeling the underlying resentment of someone who "couldn't" bottle feed, I had absolute hell with DD at first, have currently got mastitis with DS, sometimes it isn't easy! Not that I would judge anyone on their decision, as that is their right, but pleeeease don't try to make me feel bad because of your own decision. Argh, bit of a rant there.

gingerpig

Female Number of posts : 38
Tell us about yourself : I'm 38 and a SAHM. My daughter was born 10th Feb 2007 and my son born 28th Jan 2009. I am tandem feeding them and am a breast feedinghelper with the BfN. I had big problems feeding DD at first, but now it couldn't be going better Smile
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://gingerpiggy.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top