Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

controlled crying

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default controlled crying

Post by nac on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Hello All,

I dont know why i go to the HV.

She got up my nose because:

- baby has only put on 13.5 oz in two months

- baby is still breastfeeding but doesnt get all the nutrients she need from breastmilk now as its low in Iron -

- baby keeps waking at night

So plan to make me a better mother

- feed baby more - like a battery chicken

- Feed her food/calcium alternative so she 'meets her full potential'

- sleep management programme - business speak for controlled crying

Right i thought:

Baby eats like a horse and breastfeed about 3 times a day and sneaky feeds at night - little sod is tall, crawls at 90mile per hour, sprouts teeth every week. So im not too worried about failing her full potential!

the sleep thing - i dont think i can do the controlled crying - i feel like it will break her spirit - de stabilise her security which i have built through breatfeeding her -

but i would like some sleep - am i holding her back by not encouraging her to learn to sleep more - i almost felt like the HV was saying because she doesnt sleep enough she is growing!!

Mind you i havent got this far by listening to them as i find they are inconsitent with advice that is generally not evidence based.

N

nac

Number of posts : 27
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

default Re: controlled crying

Post by kay on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:05 am

:aww: you are doing a wonderful job!

your parenting style sounds just like mine, and your little one sounds healthy and happy - tongue to your HV!!!

How old is your little girl now? sounds just like Corey Very Happy

and I really dont like controlled crying - like you say, you have developed a strong trust I love you

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:54 am

Emily still doesnt sleep all night normally wakes between 2-4 times & HV has told me i Have to get it sorted, yes i would love a nights sleep but affraid controlled crying it seems so awful,just cant do it. Tried it one night & Dave & I felt monstorous.
Im just hoping she grows out of it.
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:32 pm

Tell the hag to shove it, your doing just fine! :aww:

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:19 pm

:aww: tell her to get her skates on and scoot
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:05 pm

i hate controlled crying its a rediculous notion in my eyes, she sounds like another hv who has no clue, i can tell by your post you have no intention of listening to her silly advice! you already sound like youre doing a grand job anyway Very Happy :aww:
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:03 pm

I did attempt controlled crying but hate it - I used to do the walking out in stages for bedtime and then if they woke it was co-sleeping.

This was not until Connor was about 10 months and by the time he was 13-15 months (cannot remember exactly) he settled into his own routine.

Emily has always been good at sleeping so never had that problem - when she was little tended to co-sleep after middle of the night feed so not really an issue.

HV talk like text books not practically!!
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by happy_chick on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:43 pm

We tried CC in the past and felt it wasnt for us & vowed that i'd never do it again, recently we decided to try again as things were getting beyond a joke and I was on the verge of a breakdown... it took 2 nights of her crying for 20mins, sobbing for 20mins and she had it cracked. She now goes to sleep in her cot on her own with little, if any fuss for her naps and bedtimes.

I think that my daughter was ready to learn to go to sleep on her own, she was failing to fall asleep using any of the other methods that we used to use therefore we helped her learn to go to sleep herself. Its had massive effect on all of our lives and she's so much more content in herself as she's able to go to sleep when shes tired rather than being tired but not sure how to fall asleep so crying.

Just wanted to post this as i've had a good experience with CC and although I totally understand that it doesnt suit alot of people its had a brilliant outcome for me & my family and I dont think i'm any less of a parent for letting her cry for a little while in a controlled way to help her learn something although I do think that it has to be done at the right time & when baby is ready Smile

:aww:
happy_chick

Female Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Mervs Mum on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:17 am

Do what you feel comfortable with. I couldnt do it but I havent needed to either fortunately. I dont like the way HVs talk. I went to a postnatal support group recently and I had to sit in silence - not my parenting style at all.
Mervs Mum

Female Number of posts : 221
Tell us about yourself : Lisa, Mummy to Emily, 14 & Hebe: My Little Pickle...x
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : -1
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:29 am

happy-chick, i dont judge you for using cc it obviously worked for you and both you and babe were happy with it, im sorry if i came over that way. its just ive never liked the idea of it personally it distresses me when babies cry and mine have never cried very much! As for the hv comment, ive come across that many hv who do talk tat its awful but on a better note there are some fantastic ones out there that look at each child/parent/situation induvidually and advise on it accordingly.
I guess i was being a bit tardy when i wrote that last comment :iconredface:
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:40 am

your doing a great job hun tell her to shuv it!!!!!!!

i am sooooo not looking forward to working with them next week on placement i dont even know if i am aloud to say love your talking shit or i have to agree!!! xx
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:42 am

happy_chick wrote:We tried CC in the past and felt it wasnt for us & vowed that i'd never do it again, recently we decided to try again as things were getting beyond a joke and I was on the verge of a breakdown... it took 2 nights of her crying for 20mins, sobbing for 20mins and she had it cracked. She now goes to sleep in her cot on her own with little, if any fuss for her naps and bedtimes.

I think that my daughter was ready to learn to go to sleep on her own, she was failing to fall asleep using any of the other methods that we used to use therefore we helped her learn to go to sleep herself. Its had massive effect on all of our lives and she's so much more content in herself as she's able to go to sleep when shes tired rather than being tired but not sure how to fall asleep so crying.

Just wanted to post this as i've had a good experience with CC and although I totally understand that it doesnt suit alot of people its had a brilliant outcome for me & my family and I dont think i'm any less of a parent for letting her cry for a little while in a controlled way to help her learn something although I do think that it has to be done at the right time & when baby is ready Smile

nice to hear from somone whos had a good outcome & baby wasnt distressed,we tried the once but Em cried on & off for hours. I could have probably handled two nights for 20 mins,as i think im at the point where my whole family would benefit from undestrurbed sleep.
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by happy_chick on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:59 pm

emmiesmummy wrote:
happy_chick wrote:We tried CC in the past and felt it wasnt for us & vowed that i'd never do it again, recently we decided to try again as things were getting beyond a joke and I was on the verge of a breakdown... it took 2 nights of her crying for 20mins, sobbing for 20mins and she had it cracked. She now goes to sleep in her cot on her own with little, if any fuss for her naps and bedtimes.

nice to hear from somone whos had a good outcome & baby wasnt distressed,we tried the once but Em cried on & off for hours. I could have probably handled two nights for 20 mins,as i think im at the point where my whole family would benefit from undestrurbed sleep.

We have tried it in the past and it failed to work for us but this time it did, thats why I think that your baby needs to be ready and willing to learn how to go to sleep on their own rather than forcing them iykwim, I think timing plays a very big part in whether this technique will work for you and your baby. I think Ellie was ready which is why it worked well for us, the previous times we tried it she obviously wasnt as it was horrendous.

I just wanted to give a good experience to the discussion as it definately changed our lives for the better. We used to have a very tired grumpy baby who we battled to get to sleep and she was not going to bed until midnight, now we have a happy baby who points up the stairs when shes tired and ready to be put to bed and is usually in bed and asleep by 8:30... its made a huge difference!

Smile x x
happy_chick

Female Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:49 pm

We tried it with Tiny Terror, only we didn't leave him, his daddy stayed with him. He did get to the point where he did settle and started sleeping through the night... however it only last 4 nights! Then he started waking up again, due to teething! That was 2 months ago... Shocked

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by claireea on Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:51 pm

Up untill two weeks ago Louise was waking up to 6 times a night and wanting to be bf. I was exhausted and in the end reluctantly tried cc. She cried for about an hour the first night and that was pretty much it! She now sleeps from about 7.30 till between 5 and 6 then comes in my bed for a feed and goes back to sleep for an hour. I was so reluctant and put it off for ages but like happy chick said you all need to be ready. I am so glad i did it i am now feeding her 3 times a day and sleeping quite well i feel sooooo much better. I am not saying do it i know some people don't like it but it worked for us. xx

claireea

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top