Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Tips

Post by gem1981 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:49 pm

I'm trying to do a list of tips for my :preg: friend, to keep with her when baby comes.
What would you put on it?
So far I've put feed on demand, dont try to wake baby up when they fall asleep (always annoys me when hv's say that), eat oats.
What else? I'd recommend co-sleeping but I dont think shes keen on that. Although maybe I should give her the guidelines just incase?

gem1981

Female Number of posts : 1459
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

default Re: Tips

Post by gem1981 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:51 pm

I've added buying nipple shields to collect milk in the early days.

gem1981

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:54 pm

Lansinoh between feeds whether she's sore or not - I had no bleeding or cracks this time, and im sure its down to this!

Always have a cold drink at hand, especially in the 1st few weeks - I was sooooo thirsty when i was feeding!

Dont try to express in the 1st 6 weeks unless absolutely nesseccary as it can mess up your supply.

And I would give her the benefits of CS - it can do no harm Wink Oooh - and baby wearing!

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by gem1981 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks Kay!!

What do you think?

Breastfeeding tips

• Feed on demand. Donít wake baby up for feeds or try to distract her from feeding to go longer between feeds. Just feed her when she wants it. This is the easiest way to breastfeed and keeps your supply up.
  • If baby falls asleep on the breast, DONíT WORRY ABOUT IT! Some midwives etc say to try to wake baby up if they fall asleep while feeding. Itís completely normal for babies to fall asleep on the boob. If you were tucked up all snug in your mothers arms, you probably would too?
  • Buy some nipple shields. In the first 6 weeks you will leak a lot. Normally you will leak on the other side that baby is not feeding on. This is because your milk has Ďlet downí. If you wear nipple shields in your bra it will collect this milk and you can keep it for freezing or for someone else to feed baby.

• If you are sleep deprived in the early days you may want to try co-sleeping. It is more than likely that at some point baby will sleep in your bed, even if they start off the night in their moses basket. If you co-sleep, it may be a good idea to get a bed side or move your bed against a wall so baby canít roll out. Personally, I sleep in the middle of the bed with Daisy on my right. When we go to sleep at night I tuck the duvet under my bum on my right so it wonít go near Daisy. Daisy sleeps in her sleeping bag. Donít drink or smoke and then share a bed. Co-sleeping is more common than you may think - A study in 2004 showed that 47% of infants in Britain bed-share with their parents for at least part of the night

• Use lansinoh between feeds even if you donít feel you need it. It is safe to feed baby without washing off.
  • Always have a drink to hand. You will be surprised how thirsty you get!
  • Donít try to express in the first six weeks if necessary. Your supply will establish in the first 6 weeks and you are expressing a lot you may end up having problems with being engorged etc.
  • When baby is around 6 weeks old you will probably start worrying that you are not producing enough. This is because you will stop leaking so much and you wonít feel as full. This is just because your supply is established and is nothing to worry about.
  • On babyís first day you should expect to see one wee, on day two, baby should have two weeís. As your milk supply increases you should expect to see around 5/6 wet nappies by day the fifth day.
  • Constipation in breastfed babies is very rare. Breastfed babies can poo 6 times a day, or once a week. Both are completely normal. It should also be loose and look like mustard. (After the meconium has passed)
  • It is normal for babies to lose weight after birth. Donít worry too much about it as long as she is producing wet nappies
  • If baby is unsettled, try carrying her in a sling. Studies show that carried babies cry around 40% less than babies that arenít carried.

Trust your instincts.

gem1981

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:19 pm

cheers sounds good to me!

How about 'join breastbuddies forum' too? Wink :haha:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by donna4 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:31 pm

What a good idea doing this for your friend Very Happy
donna4

Female Number of posts : 921
Tell us about yourself : Hi im Donna i have 5 children jamie 10, kiera 6, emilie 5, blake 4, and zachary 15 months, they mean the world to me :O)
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:19 pm

kay wrote:cheers sounds good to me!

How about 'join breastbuddies forum' too? Wink :haha:

Yes the best tip of all cheers

What alovely friend you are to do this :aww:
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:42 pm

cheers thats fab
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:54 pm

:aww:what a great friend you are to have , i hope she knows how lucky she is.
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:04 pm

dont take everything the medical profession says about breastfeeding as gospel. a lot of what i have been told throughout :boob: by hv's mw's docs is crap lol.
And take with a pinch of salt what your friends and family who have only formula fed their babies say about :boob: . E.g. she shouldnt be feeding so often, she shouldnt be feeding for such a long period, you should have a routine by now, she needs water when its warm, she should be sleeping through, blah blah blah - i've heard them all.
And with regards to the :cosleep2: i had no intentions of doing this. So your friend may be like me. I always felt uncomfortable with the idea as i thought it was dangerous. But as soon as baby was here it seemed like the most natural thing to do in the world :aww:
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top