Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Gas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Gas

Post by tbear on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:55 pm

I've been told that gas is baby's #1 enemy but for some reason my lo gets really backed up about 5pm every morning. He poops and toots all throughout the day but he hasn't been pooping at night the last couple of weeks and at 5am he will pull his knees up to his chest, hold his breath and push and sometimes gets out a toot but doesn't poop again until late morning. It breaks my heart, i can see it's painful. Why does this happen at 5am? What can i do to releave it or prevent it? :iconsad:

tbear

Female Number of posts : 8
Tell us about yourself : New mom
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

default Re: Gas

Post by sinfulskin on Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:24 pm

I take it hes quite a youngun? There isnt alot you can do to prevent it ..mabey try diferent positions so hes not gulping to try keep up with your flow, use infacol, cycle his legs lots of winding if he is young. The fact that hes regular is great and his gut is just adjusting ..this will pass xxx

sinfulskin

Female Number of posts : 26
Tell us about yourself : About you:Full time nursing mummy
Your mood today : Naughty
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:27 pm

I agree you may need to try different positions to help him.

Its not unusual at this age as his stomache is maturing still, also it might be possibly something you have changed in your diet so check that too, its unlikely but possible.

:aww:

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Rose on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:22 pm

Maybe you are swapping breasts too often? B/c I have been led to believe that a lot of fore-milk and not enough hind-milk is partly responsible for the gas.

Anyway good luck. :bighug:

Pink Rose

Female Number of posts : 155
Tell us about yourself : A pregnant 33 yr old married stay-at-home mum with 2 girls ages 2 & 4. I have exclusively breastfed both of them for the 1st 6 mths. And, I BF my oldest till she was nearly 2 and I am still curranly BFG my youngest. I have never bought any formula or bottles!
Your mood today : Brooding
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:57 pm

Ah yes good point Pink hun!

What colour poo does he have? if its greeny it could mean you are feeding him too much fore.

Make sure when you are feeding, its the one breast, then on the next feed use that same breast again to make sure baby gets that hind milk and then swop and do the same ont he other side.

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Rose on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:03 pm

Yeah, that's right and give your tit a good squeeze to see if the milk had gone thick and creamy yellow/white colour that's the hind milk. Stick baby back on that same breast at much as you can till your tit feels completely empty and utterly floppy! Then swap! That's the way I have always done it with my babes. Meanwhile, before swapping, the other tit might feel like it's going to burst, express or use breast shells inside your bra to gently ease the discomfort and to collect your excess milk.

:boob: And, I think as a bonus you will find that your babe's put more weight on as well.

Pink Rose

Female Number of posts : 155
Tell us about yourself : A pregnant 33 yr old married stay-at-home mum with 2 girls ages 2 & 4. I have exclusively breastfed both of them for the 1st 6 mths. And, I BF my oldest till she was nearly 2 and I am still curranly BFG my youngest. I have never bought any formula or bottles!
Your mood today : Brooding
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tbear on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:22 pm

His doctor suggested that i lay him across my knees on his stomach and rub his back which makes his stomach rub against my knees. This seems to have worked! I do this before bed and through out the night and for the last two nights he has been tooting and pooping at night once again Smile

[img][/img]

tbear

Your mood today : Happy
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:13 pm

cheers

I find this an effective position whenever mine have had belly aches.

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:40 am

I'm afraid I will have to disagree with some of you ladies here as what you have said is a little bit misleading.
There is no foremilk/hindmilk switch over. What happens as the baby continues feeding the fat content increases. It is more like when you turn on a hot water tap - first the water comes through cold, but eventually it gets warmer and warmer until it is hot.

more info here

On the link it suggests feeding baby more frequently rather than increase the length of the feed, though swapping from breast to breast can help.

There is some more info here on causes of gassiness in babies - likely contenders are your baby ingesting anything other than breast milk, e.g. food, formula, certain medications. Other common causes are a forceful letdown or over supply issues in the mother.
It may also be a sign of thrush as well.
It is not likely it is anything you have eaten, Tbear.
The massage suggestion is an excellent one, gentle massage in a clockwise direction can help with indigestion problems, and you can also help by laying baby on his back and gently cycling his legs after a feed as this will help with bringing his wind up.
Hope this helps (and apologies if I've trodden on any one's toes

Smile )

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by claireea on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:22 pm

my baby girl was windy and seemed to strain lots with no result. i did a baby massage course and yoga which helped. she is now 16 weeks and has just grown out of it herself.

claireea

Number of posts : 37
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by tbear on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:33 pm

Thanks everyone!

tbear