Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Went to the GP

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Went to the GP

Post by salocius on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:41 am

I went to the GP regarding my pains in my stomach and bleeding nipples. Her response was to give up :boob:.

Now I don't know what to do?

salocius

Female Number of posts : 98
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Your mood today : Upset
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

default Re: Went to the GP

Post by Kasia80 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:21 am

No advice for pains in stomach but plenty about bleeding nipples:
http://www.kellymom.com/newman/03a-sore_nipples.html
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Rose on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:44 pm

What an earth has stomach pains got to do with breastfeeding? I know! I guess the doctor might have meant the breastfeeding contractions in the womb but these are good anyway! Weird doc you got there! :iconpuke:

Don't give up, that's the daftest thing I have ever heard!
Pink Rose

Female Number of posts : 155
Tell us about yourself : A pregnant 33 yr old married stay-at-home mum with 2 girls ages 2 & 4. I have exclusively breastfed both of them for the 1st 6 mths. And, I BF my oldest till she was nearly 2 and I am still curranly BFG my youngest. I have never bought any formula or bottles!
Your mood today : Brooding
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by salocius on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:45 pm

The stomach pans are due to PCOS the medication that I was on before i got preggers was Metformin apparently they are not on the safe list. She said that I couldn't start taking them untill I gave up :boob:.
As for the bleeding nipples she just said it might be the best to give up then. No offer of helping etc.
Tasmin has taken 2 x 3ml of formula and the rest so far I have managed to do myself.
I went to boots this afternoon to get a few bits and went to pharmasist to get some more painkillers (we've all gone down with bad throats) was chatting to the pharmasist who said see GP i told them what their answer was and he was fuming.
I shall get Tasmin weighed tomorrow and see what the hv says as i want to continue until she's 6months but let her have 1 bottle of formula a day.

salocius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Rose on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:02 pm

Oh dear, that explains your stomach pains and I hope you feel a bit better soon.

Glad you talked to the pharmacist though and I have a feeling your HV will have the same view as him as well.

Sometimes doctors just opt for the easiest way for out for their patients, thinking it's what they want to hear. Perhaps your doctor thought you were looking for a reason to stop BFG?
Pink Rose

Tell us about yourself : A pregnant 33 yr old married stay-at-home mum with 2 girls ages 2 & 4. I have exclusively breastfed both of them for the 1st 6 mths. And, I BF my oldest till she was nearly 2 and I am still curranly BFG my youngest. I have never bought any formula or bottles!

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:01 pm

Have you tried Lansinoh on your nipples - it was fab on mine. And as a last measure, you could try nipple shields.

I have a similar thing with my migraines - my doc wont put me on my medication until i stop BF, so i am looking down alternative therapies, alongside paracetamol.
Have you considered something like accupuncture?

Im sorry your GP was unsupportive - hopefully you will have more joy with your HV (although if experience is anything to go by, dont hold your breath lol!)

:aww:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm sorry I have no advice on the 1st problem but I agree with Kay about the bleeding nipples. I was in agony and pouring but lots of Lansinoh really helped and I also used nipple shields which were such a relief!
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by purple13 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:38 am

this is the 3rd time i've written this - why won't my messages post?!

i can empathise with the PCOS thing. i was diagnosed with it 5 years ago and went on metformin to try and keep on top of my weight problem. i actually got pregnant after starting on it, so won't be taking it again for a bit, LOL. when i was pregnant, all my symptoms went away - i lost weight and felt brilliant. now, with DS weaning, i'm starting to feel crap again and weight is starting to pile back on.

are you doing anything else to control your PCOS?

i only ask cos lifestyle is such a huge part of it. i know i'm not doing nearly enough which is why i'm suffering again... i find it really hard to be diligent about food and exercise when i'm running round after a baby all day.

i really don't want to give up bf-ing and have made the decision to keep going even if it means digging myself into a bit of a hole. i'd thought about consulting a herbalist to see if i can restart any of my supplements whilst bf-ing.
purple13

Number of posts : 29
Tell us about yourself : About you: Mummy to a baby boy Smile
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by purple13 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:42 am

just to add, there are a couple of interesting articles here, about taking metformin whilst bf-ing:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/pcos.html
purple13

Back to top Go down

Post by salocius on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:42 am

The nipples aren't too bad now, have been using the cream. She's has 2 x 3oz of formula a day, how do i now go about swapping these to :boob: and increase milk supply.
I've stopped eating choc and fizzy drinks are these don't help. I'd like to go back to reflexology but can't afford to.
Once i've got the :boob: going again 'm going to try and get to 6months.

salocius

Back to top Go down

Post by purple13 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:05 am

i could be preaching to the converted re lifestyle, if so, i'm v sorry - i'm a newbie so still finding my way around the boards!

sticking to a low GI diet is really important for PCOS sufferers - no refined carbs, no fruit juice, no sweets, chocolate, fizzy drinks, no alcohol, no full fat creamy products. i'm a bit naughty at the moment cos i can't stop eating jaffa cakes :iconredface:

good food is stuff like steamed veg, fruit, low fat protein, seeds, limited wholemeal bread/rice/pasta, low fat dairy products. basically anything that isn't going to cause your blood sugar to crash shortly after eating it.

and exercise is important too - i've been trying to take DS for a walk in his sling every day.

i know it makes a difference cos i can feel it in myself when i'm being good; its just having the willpower to stick to it.

to get your supply up - eat oats (porridge? oatibix?), try fenugreek, fennel tea and/or blackthorn juice? and let your LO suck whenever she likes.

:aww: :aww:
purple13

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:49 am

Dont worry at all Purple13 - any advise is wecome on here, whether we've heard it before or not!

Welcome to forum! :wave:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Rose on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:22 pm

Glad the nipples are sorting themselves out!

I let you in a secret here, I have heard that after you have finished BFG, if you squeeze out a drop of hind milk and apply and rub it into your nipple. It's suppose to help, b/c it's rich and moisturising, and if you get into a habit of doing this all the time it might help protect/guard against sore nipples in the future.

Welcome to the forums too. I think you are doing fab and hope you will get your meds sorted out soon. :welldone:
Pink Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by salocius on Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:05 pm

I've managed to do a whole day just :boob: and her 2x solids. No formula whats so ever I feel completly exhausted tho. Have made some coconut and oat cookies so will snack on them for a couple of days.
As for stomach pains I'm going to go back on Low fat diet again as it did help last time round oh and try and go for long walks.

salocius

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:25 pm

Brilliant news! Well done :aww:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:07 pm

salocius wrote:I've managed to do a whole day just :boob: and her 2x solids. No formula whats so ever I feel completly exhausted tho. Have made some coconut and oat cookies so will snack on them for a couple of days.
As for stomach pains I'm going to go back on Low fat diet again as it did help last time round oh and try and go for long walks.

Oh I am so pleased for you :aww:

Im sorry the doc was a useless pratt, I am glad you found us though hun, we are always here :aww:

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:37 pm

salocius wrote:I've managed to do a whole day just :boob: and her 2x solids. No formula whats so ever I feel completly exhausted tho. Have made some coconut and oat cookies so will snack on them for a couple of days.

that is brilliant hun well done :aww:
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:30 am

cheers
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Drusilla on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:03 am

GPs can be useless, I went for a company medical at a local surgery to my work when I returned and the GP told me I would have to stop feeding my son when he got teeth... he was 8.5mos at the time and cutting his first 2.
He then said he didn't think there was any benefit to feeding for much longer. Unfortunately for him I am very well informed on the subject (which he clearly isn't!) and told him actually there was a lot of benefit particularly for immunilogical support. Next year I shall take a copy of my NCT "Reasons to be Proud" poster and shove it up his arse show it to him.

Drusilla

Female Number of posts : 244
Tell us about yourself : People who have kids by more than 3 different men are SLAGS. They don't give a shit about the welfare of their children, otherwise they would be keeping their bloody legs shut and creating a STABLE environment for their kids, either in a stable relationship or as a single mother - because single mothers are perfectly capable of being fantastic parents. If you want to sleep around use some fucking contraception until you are sure your partner is in it for the long haul, it is not fucking difficult. Kids need stability - they don't need a succession of men coming in and out of their life.
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 8
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum