Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

starting period

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default starting period

Post by claireea on Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi everyone, i have been breast feeding on demand for 14 weeks now and yesterday i started my period although i wasn's expecting it as i thought it would take longer to return. My problem is that my little girl now seems reluctant to latch on and when she does she is unsettled and but does eventually feed. This is worrying me as she has always latched on straight away can anyone please offer advice thanks x

claireea

Number of posts : 37
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

default Re: starting period

Post by kay on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:56 pm

mine havent returned yet, but i am getting a 'fake period' each month (everything except bleeding!).

Its common at this time to get a drop in supply - i take a calcium/magnesium supplement, and evening primrose oil - thisw helps level everything out for me.

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by claireea on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:19 pm

thanks does anyone have any advice on why she refuses to latch on tho? she just cries when i try

claireea

Number of posts : 37
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:58 pm

The milk tastes abit different when you've started your period and some babies are not keen on the taste.

Just keep trying hun, your doing very well, though do check for white in the mouth as it could be thrush.

But I would say it was the taste, keep trying hun

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Rose on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:04 pm

Yeah Nastaha's right the milk tastes a bit different, but it doesn't mean it's bad! Still as good as it ever was, it's just the hormones! When your period passes the taste should get back to normal. Then your little girl should start latching on again. She's probably only feeding when she's actually hungry and needs feeding rather than comfort sucking.

I had never experienced this problem when my periods came back approx 9 mths with each of my 2 babies and I BF for 2 yrs. I do remember my HV saying to me "Have you noticed a decrease on the demands of BFG when your period started?" I said "No" looking puzzled and my HV laughed at me and explained it! My kids were just piggies I guess! Laughing

Remember everybody is different, some women don't even get their periods till they stopped BFG all together! So for them to conceive another child, they have to stop BFG and look at it this way you can probably conceive already if the period is genuine!
Pink Rose

Female Number of posts : 155
Tell us about yourself : A pregnant 33 yr old married stay-at-home mum with 2 girls ages 2 & 4. I have exclusively breastfed both of them for the 1st 6 mths. And, I BF my oldest till she was nearly 2 and I am still curranly BFG my youngest. I have never bought any formula or bottles!
Your mood today : Brooding
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top