Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

in need of your help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default in need of your help

Post by JaneJayandBaby on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:40 pm

im having real problems with my 4 week old little boy. he is feeding constantly and if i take him off the boob he screams the house down. the only think to soothe him is his dummy... which is now getting addicted to.

he will suck on his fist and scream until he gets the dummy or the boob.

he has colic and has had it for a week now, i have been giving him infacol. the dr said there is nothing else i can do apart from keep up with the infacol which i am doing.

he is ok'ish in the night apart from having awake periods and being noisey. but from morning until about midnight he is constantly screaming.

today is my birthday and i really wanted to enjoy it... i managed to express 2oz this morning. fed him constantly from 7am until we went out at lunch time for a bday meal.

at 1pm he cried so had his 2oz then i ended up feeding him from the boob for another half hour.

half hour later and he was feeding again and has been on and off since.
i keep trying to express in hopes i can go for a nap, but i am getting sod all out. not even 1oz at a time.

i use a hand pump and my hands are killing from pumping manickly. and i cant afford an electric pump.

im at the end of my tether and seriously considering getting the cow and gate cartons out of the cupoard.

would it be wise to start using formula milk as a top up? or try harder to express more? i just dont know what to do anymore.

i have mouth ulcers which i only get from being stressed of run down. i had a c section and need to keep up with my pain killers or i end up feeling even worse... and some days i dont get my tablets taken or a brew and brekky til gone 11am from constantly feeding.

HELLLPPP!!! Sad
JaneJayandBaby

Female Number of posts : 30
Tell us about yourself : 24, married, mum to jaiden joshua.
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-27

http://www.glamourglitz.co.uk

Back to top Go down

default Re: in need of your help

Post by clairelana on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:29 pm

:bighug: Aww hun , i know how your feeling. I went through the same. Constant feeding all the time. But at 4 weeks its still early days. Your milk is only fully established at 6 weeks.
I started to express at 4 weeks and only managed to get 1oz and that was from both breasts. I started to express 3 times a day. Just before bed, at 4am and when we got up. I found i got more when lo was feeding from the other side. I now only express twice a day and I get about 6 oz total. You produce more milk in the night so if you can express then i would. It will get more the more you do it, it takes time but once its done its done. Stress can also cause problems when expressing. You need to relax and think of your baby, try some relaxation before you express. Don't think i need to get so many oz just think you will be happy with any amount.

I wouldn't top up with formula as your supply isn't fully established yet and giving a bottle of formula is telling your body your baby doesn't need that extra and it will stop producing it.
You need to sit back relax and just feed for a few more weeks. It does get easier.

Have you checked for thrush? My lo was the same and after weeks and weeks of problems the new HV said we had thrush. lo will have a white tongue.

I hope that helps.

Your doing fantastic don't give up.

Keep up the good work

Claire
clairelana

Female Number of posts : 618
Tell us about yourself : About you: I'm 27 married for 2 years and have two littles angels. Lana 2 years and Kaydi 7 months.
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneJayandBaby on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:29 pm

he has a white tongue but isnt that from milk? i worry and worry he isnt getting enough but last week he gained 12oz so i knew he was feeding enough. i am eating and drinking less in the day no though because i am constanly feeding, changing, burping etc.

i will try and keep up with it and i will try expressing late on in the evening and maybe first thing in the morning x
JaneJayandBaby

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:34 pm

:aww:
if you can get through without introducing formula, you will be so much better once you hit the 6 week mark hunny x

have you tried Dentinox drops for the reflux? I found these so much more effective than infacol last time round, and you dont have to give before every feed, just when baby is griping.

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneJayandBaby on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:53 pm

i was looking at dentinox in asda yday,but it sounded exactly the same as infacol so i got another lot of infacol instead. you say only give when baby is griping... how do you know when that is? x
JaneJayandBaby

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnysarah on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:02 pm

I tend to express early in the morning around 4 or 5am, i`m at my fullest then but i only express 2ozs ( could get more ) and freeze it. I bought some ice cube trays with the lids & they hold 2ozs. So after a few days i have quite a stock of expressed milk.
I agree with the not introducing formula cos that will really muck up your supply.
I`m now 9 wks in & my dd is finally going longer between feeds so it really does get better (didn`t believe people when they said it would lol!). Good luck hun. xxx
sunnysarah

Female Number of posts : 85
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:35 pm

JaneJayandBaby wrote:i was looking at dentinox in asda yday,but it sounded exactly the same as infacol so i got another lot of infacol instead. you say only give when baby is griping... how do you know when that is? x

When he is screaming a lot, and seems to have trapped wind, holding himself rigid etc. Its very common with colic.
I found it was difficult to give Ty the infacol before every feed, and it didnt seem to do anything. I changed to Dentinox, and gave it him after a feed if he couldnt get a burp up - it worked much better. I also gave him some in the evening, when his colic was at its worst.
I used gripe water once - which resulted in an immediate projectile vomit! not nice - but a good way of getting that wind up if its really troublesome!

If he is wanting the dummy, and there doesnt seem to be any signs of nipple confusion, let him have it, even if its just to give you a break. Corey went through this stage early on, and i gave him the dummy a few times - it was a godsend. He wont touch it now, at 6 months - it was just a bit of extra 'sucky' when he needed it Razz

You are at one of the most difficult stages of breastfeeding, and believe me, if you get through this, it will be plain sailing soon :aww:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum