Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

A New Mum Trying Not To Give Up!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default A New Mum Trying Not To Give Up!

Post by JaneJayandBaby on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:11 am

[b]I'm new to the forum, so I'll tell you that I'm Jane, 24 in 2 weeks... just had my little boy who we tried for so long to get (2 yrs and 2 months and the help of fertility treatment).

He is now 10 days old... I have breast fed him from the start. Though on 1 occasion I did "give in" so to speak to feed him 3oz of aptimil formula milk from a carton, when he couldn't latch on. Both mummy and baby got very frustrated and mummy gave in, in floods of tears. Lets just say the formula didn't agree with him... gave him the poos. And then when I tried hard to get back to breast feeding it made it much much harder for me and him to get back into the swing of things.

Anyway... we are making massive progress... feeding every few hours. Some days he will have a big feed and a big sleep.. other days he will be off and on my breast all day.

Yesterday was a bad day for me. we had a very busy day ahead of us (which if I'm honest was stupid of me, as not meant to be doing much this soon after a c section).

So me being the wimp that I am decided to express 2oz of breast milk into a MAM bottle... to take.. so if he got hungry while I was in public he would be ok. (I still don't have the guts to feed in public yet... really need a confidence boost.. feel quite ashamed at the mo to be honest!)

Anyway the feed on demand worked well as everytime he was hungry I was in a place that wasnt public, so he got fed well.
We didnt get home until about 6pm and he had, had tons of sleep. Thats when we got the probs.
I keep forgetting to keep my fluids up... and had hardly eaten all day. So come next feed and he was sucking away for hours... not settling to sleep... not content just lying with mum.
So I'm thinking because of lack of fluids my milk wasn't too good? Either that or he was just unhappy..

He also keeps breathing deeply and fast when he feeds... and for about half hour to 1 hour afterwards.

Does anyone know if thats normal? It kind of sounds like he is wheezing sometimes with it.
Anyway milk is ok today and he has had a good feed and seems satisfied. But had some red in his nappy this morning, which I think was from his belly button.

He got checked out by dr on Tuesday for post natal visit, and all was fine. And I see mw tomorrow, so will be telling her my concerns.

Sorry for the long post... it was more for my benefit as a release lol.
Hope I havent bored you all to death.

And could really do with some breast feeding buddies xxx
JaneJayandBaby

Female Number of posts : 30
Tell us about yourself : 24, married, mum to jaiden joshua.
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-27

http://www.glamourglitz.co.uk

Back to top Go down

default Re: A New Mum Trying Not To Give Up!

Post by kay on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:42 am

:bighug: What a fabulous mummy you are!

Well done for keeping going - your babies patterns of feeding sound perfectly normal to me!

It is daunting to think about feeding in public, but it really is easy when you get the hang of it. I would strongly reccomend that you only feed him from the breast until his feeding is well established (about 6 weeks), otherwise you may experience nipple confusion (which is what you described after offering him the aptamil), and also the extra pumping could interfere with getting your natural supply on track.
Obviously, expressed breastmilk is better than NO breastmilk - so it is your choice.

Dont beat yourself up over things - you are very early into your breastfeeding relationship, and sound perfectly normal to me :aww:

I'm not sure on the breathing issue - one of our supporters will be along soon and im sure they can advise further!

We are always here - look forward to having you as an active member and breastbuddy friend :aww:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by gem1981 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:11 am

You are doing really well!! :boob: in public gets sooo much easier. The first time I did it, I went out with my hubby with the intention of doing it which helped I think. Now I think its a nice thing to do out and about. Yesterday I took the kids to a beer garden down the road (they have a really good park) and Ben played on the park while me and Daisy lay down on a blanket and had a feed. People do look, but I think its in a nice way.
Anyway, you're doing great and this is a fab website for any help you may need! Look forward to getting to know you better :aww:

gem1981

Female Number of posts : 1459
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:47 pm

Fantastic to have you on board! :aww: you are doing great job! Congratulations on giving birth to your precious LO!

breastfeeding in public is a state of mind: I couldn't do it with John but never had any probs with whisking myboobs for Maya wherever we would go. Once you try it you'll never feel shy again.
You could try to "bf in public" at comfort of your own homw first; have think how would you like to do it: work out your clothes- for me alawys best worked layers: one under to pull under boob and one over to pull over- this way your tummy and back are protected and not much other Wink flesh is flashing. You can buy special feeding tops, but I'm larger size and it was hard to find them and it was a lot of £ to spend. Now I just whisk top up or pull boob over low cut top: frankfully me dear I don't care what pple think Razz
Then once you have clothing issue worked out, get your self a chair and a large mirror in front of it and practice. Sit down and start bf and look in a mirror, check out differen possitions to find one you'll be most comfy with and one that you'll feel is diecent enough for you to try out in public place: one you don't feel like page 3 girl and baby is comfy, well latched and feeding.
Then pick less public place,lol, where are some pple but not to crowded and bf then. Or you can take plunge and go to Baby Café and lots of mums feed there: there is nothing more bonding tahn bunch of mums bf their little ones sunny

As for breething: if you are really worried you can bring it up while speaking to your gp on next check up or to Hv/ midwife. I would think its because he is still small and sucking is hard work or he just likes to inhale your smell- Maya does it still, she is like little drug addict sometimes, sniffing boobs Razz

If you want to express for feeding out and about: its fine! No one can make you bf in public, its totally up to you. Usually its recommended to not to express till baby is 6-8 weeks, because mother's supply is still establishing at this point and skipping feeds/ expressing can confuse your boobs a bit. Also offering baby milk in bottle cold lead to nipple confusion: in short words baby sucks differently on mother's nipple and in a different way on bottle. To get milk from mum baby needs to work nipple and areola, suck efficiently; from bottle milk just flows, so all baby needs is few weak lazy sucks to get food. And because babies tend to choose easy way- like we all Wink- babies suck breast like bottle, and this si causong a lot of problems for mum and baby: because latch s shallow mum will have sore nips, breast is not emptied efficiently- what is essencial for more milk to be produced, baby is not getting enough milk- is gaining little, etc.
There are other feeding methods suitable even for youngest babies: dropper feeding http://www.mother-2-mother.com/refusingbottle.htm#dropper and cup feeding http://www.mother-2-mother.com/refusingbottle.htm#cup_feeding; you can use syringe too!

I hope I've helped you a little :aww: We are always here and you are welcome to come and share your joys and worries! :aww:
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneJayandBaby on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:47 pm

Thank you for all your replies. Today me and Jaiden are having a good day. And I even managed to try a different feeding position (where I don't get mega back ache and arm ache) now that my stomach and scar is not as painful.

He is back to sleeping proper sleeps so far, and has so far had decent feeds. So I will put yesterday down to a bad day lol.

Will take all your advice re feeding in public. It's more me worrying what others think I guess. which I really shouldn't bother about lol.

And I won't express any more unless really necessary! x
JaneJayandBaby

Female Number of posts : 30
Tell us about yourself : 24, married, mum to jaiden joshua.
Registration date : 2008-07-27

http://www.glamourglitz.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:05 pm

If you have a look through, i think we on here have only ever encountered positive things when nursing in public, so dont let others worry you :aww:

Some great advice off Katie - i did the sitting in front of mirror thing - its really helpful!

If you feel you would rather express than feed in public, its totally your choice hun - but if you can manage a few weeks to ensure that little fella is latching on ok, and your supply is settled, you will be thankful in the end :aww:

Welcome on board! Very Happy

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:23 pm

JaneJayandBaby wrote:Thank you for all your replies. Today me and Jaiden are having a good day. And I even managed to try a different feeding position (where I don't get mega back ache and arm ache) now that my stomach and scar is not as painful.

He is back to sleeping proper sleeps so far, and has so far had decent feeds. So I will put yesterday down to a bad day lol.

Will take all your advice re feeding in public. It's more me worrying what others think I guess. which I really shouldn't bother about lol.

And I won't express any more unless really necessary! x
bliss I'm delighted for you! Keep the good job up Wink
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by nac on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:35 pm

a quick note on positioning, always sit with your back straight preferably leaning on something supportive, take baby to you, then the trick that really turned things around for me was TUCK HIS BOTTOM IN to your body, this really works to make sure his nose is clear of the breast and breathing swallowing positions are optimal.

you are doing great, possible use a muslin to drape, or the layers idea is really good, i never thought of that!

take every day as it comes, draw a line under the previous day, drink lots of water and eat, your baby needs you so much.

nac xx

nac

Number of posts : 27
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top