Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

How many feeds?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default How many feeds?

Post by Squiglet on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:41 pm

I need some advice (please :aww: ) How many feeds a day do you give your LO a day...milk feeds that is...?

lil miss is still having 7 to 10 feeds a day...long feeds too, 20/30mins... plus two solid meals, which consist of two ice cubes of fruit/veg and maybe some baby rice to thicken (pear is really runny and she likes her food chewy now her teeth are coming in)... shes not so sicky now although she has her moments... she'll only be sick maybe 5 times a day around an oz or two.... so a vast improvement. Before it was over 12 times and 3/4oz a time.

Just recently she has upped her boob demands and seems to be feeding more and more... and taking both boobs at a feed... everyone is telling me to add another meal (that makes three) but I don't want to... Evil or Very Mad Milk is still very important, but does her number of feeds sound high? Should I introduce another meal?

I work too so continuous feeding all day is hard and she doesn't tolerate formula very well... I know most people on here say you have to wait till they are 6 months but we discussed the introduction of solids with her paediatrician, based on her weight, size, physical development, intolerance to formula (including soya based... she pukes so much with formula) and severity of her reflux... and the decision was to introduce solids rather than pumping her full of drugs to ease the reflux. Rolling Eyes

I'd welcome any advice Smile
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

default Re: How many feeds?

Post by kay on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:19 pm

I have to honestly say I dont count the feeds.
If I did - it would be well over 10! I feed on demand, and havent needed to introduce solids yet. We can go a few hours with no feeds, and then he can feed 1/2 hourly for a few hours - i just follow his cue - i figure he lets me know when he is hungry or thirsty.
Out of curiousity - i am going to try and count how many feeds we do do tomorrow!

I personally would hold off on the extra meal if you can - like you say - mummies milk the most important and nutricious thing at this point :aww:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:50 am

i woulnt know how many feeds willow has, or had at 4 mths we too feed on demand, i do know though that the amount of times and length of feeds she wants varies from day to day.
she could be having a growth spurt? personally i would let her have the extra feeds (milk) is there any way you could express for while you are at work, then at least babe is getting youre milk rather than formula?
it all depends on your own situation though, see what the others say! good luck hope it gets better soon x x :aww:
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:34 am

You need to remember that baby is still taking all nutrients and calories from your milk, not solids.
Solids before age of 12months are just for fun.
It is recommended to wait with starting solids before baby is 6 months old. Did you see this info
Why delay solids?
When baby will be ready for solids?

My advice is to bf as much as baby wants. Maya is bf still on clue- she asks for it she gets it.
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:01 pm

I didn't count either but at her age far too many to count anyway! I agree I would just carry on feeding her as much as she wants it! :aww:
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:43 pm

I had issues remembering which boob I last fed from, so got a nursing band that also allows me to mark the number of feeds.. shes demand fed too... but thats how I know Smile

I'm not going to introduce any more meals yet.

We discussed the introduction of solids with the paediatrician...but i wanted some baby gaviscon for her reflux. The doctor refused, not wanting to give the baby "drugs" and that we should try solids... first bf'd her then give her a spoonful of solids in the hopes that it will plug the milk in... which it does seem to do confused because she's mainly sick after her milk only feeds now. I was reluctant to start solids so soon. But tbh, I would have tried anything to help her reflux.
Squiglet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:48 pm

I don't think solids would help at all, Squiglet.
I have no personal experience with reflux, so no BTDT advice, but KM has some great info- like aways Razz
Spitting Up & Reflux in the Breastfed Baby
Kasia80

Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:30 pm

Bad cop wrote:I don't think solids would help at all, Squiglet.
I have no personal experience with reflux, so no BTDT advice, but KM has some great info- like aways Razz
Spitting Up & Reflux in the Breastfed Baby

tbh...the doctor wasn't that helpful really... we don't have HV's here and doc's still have their god like attitude. I wanted gaviscon... but she plain refused to give it to me. The way solids was portrayed to me...lil miss would start solids and her reflux would clear up... but it wasn't the miracle cure I expected it to be. Before lil miss fed constantly, the only thing solids did was reduce her feeds and reduce her reflux somewhat. Problem is lil miss has never had massive weight loss but she did feed all the time before rarely going an hour or more between feeds, I just let her feed, but now I'm back at work I can't do that Sad . What KM writes is very true... she also makes mention of thickening feeds as a treatment, which was what we were originally told to do with this thing called papilla...but it had sugar and cows milk in it Shocked Shocked.. and lil miss seemed to struggle with it...like she had colic again and well she just :sicky: even more when she had that... so i dumped it quick.

I don't have the same support network here as most have in the UK, so I feel a bit lost and with doctors, family and friends all saying add more food, you feel a lot of pressure to do so... Thing is 9 years ago it was ok to wean at 4 months, but its changed....I kinda just wanted some support in the way that I am right in saying its enough for now.... :tear:
Squiglet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:43 pm

:aww: hun
You have us, if it helps :aww: we're here for you, whenever you feel like chat or need help- we'll do our best :aww:
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top