Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Baby clinic today

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Baby clinic today

Post by Helen on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:04 pm

Went to baby clinic today and got her weighed she's put another pound on the last 3 week and is now 17lb 6oz which i'm really pleased with and she's following the 75th centile perfectly :cheer:

Anyway, the hv started taking to me about how she is sleeping. I said she still wakes every few hours in night for a feed. The hv said that it might be an idea to introduce formula! I said i didnt want to as i want to just :boob: her. she asked why not when it will help her sleep through and that i will probably be weaning her off :boob: soon to introduce ff why she's 6 month?! I started feeling a bit angry with her and i said i wanted to feed her with my milk only until she's at least 1 and i told her the only reason ff helps them sleep through is because it is harder for baby's body to digest and that the nutrients in my milk is being used as soon as baby is feeding and that i'd rather her wake loads and me no she is getting all the nutrients she needs. I said i co-sleep anyway so doesnt really affect my sleep or anything. I was waiting for her to say something about this and i would have got even angrier! lol. She gave me a funny look and changed the subject.

She then got onto the subject of weaning and she said i really should be starting weaning very soon and that when i do ideally i need to go quickly so that within 2 weeks she should be having 3 meals a day, 2 of which are with puddings as she needs all these other nutrients now because she's nearly 6 months. And that at night to start giving her cooled boiled water in place of some of her milk feeds. Is she right about all of this?! Because i dont want to rush bethany with feeding solids i want us to take our time with introducing new tastes, etc. And with regards to the night feeds i dont want to give her boiled water for some of them - i want her to still have :boob: . Is that ok?
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

default Re: Baby clinic today

Post by nichola on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:14 pm

Well done for sticking up for yourself cheers

No your hv is not right.

Breastmilk is the ideal source of nutrients with solids being slowly introduced after 6 months of age. Some babies will take longer to move on to solids but aslong asthey are breastfed on demand then this is fine. I don't understand why your hv thinks your baby should be on 3 meals a day in 2 weeks time . J is 14 months and some days he doesn't have 3 meals a day i offer him food but if he is unwell like now he is teething he often would rather breastfeed.

For the first year milk is the main source of nutrition and solids are for them to experiment with taste and texture and mainly for fun!!

There is no need to night wean if you are both happy with the arrangement. Babies often need to feed at night and this is not a bad thing or something you need to worry about. J still feeds at night loads like you I cosleep and see nothing wrong with him feeding I often don;t even wake up! Laughing

So carry on as you are :boob: as much as you want to introduce solids slowly and keep those night feeds.

You are doing a great job cheers

and are a fab Mummy :aww:

Nichola x

nichola
BreastBuddies
BreastBuddies

Number of posts : 169
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiglet on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:52 pm

Thats terrible...can't believe that the HV said that... Theres no way you should introduce 3 meals a day by 6 months...that will be a shock to the digestive system...and tbh if you LO hasn't required food up to now...the likelihood is, is that she won't be overly enthusiastic to take solid food straight away... it needs to be introduced slowly and gradually over a period of a couple of months...Well done for standing your ground over it...
Squiglet

Female Number of posts : 901
Tell us about yourself : I'm me...ask me a question...
Your mood today : Confussed
Thanks and Reputation points : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:15 pm

You know, you can report her. There should be a Breastfeeding Leader amongst HV at you clininc and I strongly advise to speak to her, as NHS is currently advising exclusive bf for at least 6 months, and saying something different by NHS emploee is breach of recommendations.
Good for you for you for sticking to your guns. or boobs should I say! You are great mama :aww:
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by gem1981 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:35 pm

Well done for standing your ground Helen!!! :bighug:

gem1981

Female Number of posts : 1459
Your mood today : Content
Thanks and Reputation points : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:36 pm

Well done Helen, our little girls are about the same age & ive been told she should be on 3 meals a day. I think alot it is that they are in a rush to get babies into our food routine so we are not 'put out ' by them , and we can have our life back ! personally i feel if this is how you want it get a cat not a baby. As long as baby is looking healthy not losing weight & alert shes obviously doing fine .
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:37 pm

Thanks girls i'm sick of the wrong advise i seem to keep getting from them! I thought it was wrong when she said that i need to rush to get her onto 3 meals of solids in such a short space! Just wanted some reassurance from your girls! And i defo want her to have :boob: at night and not water!

Bad cop wrote: You know, you can report her. There should be a Breastfeeding Leader amongst HV at you clininc and I strongly advise to speak to her

its the first time i've seen that hv so i dont no her name or anything :icondoh: but i'm going to go back next week, i'll get her name and will take it further!
Helen

Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:46 pm

emmiesmummy wrote: our little girls are about the same age & ive been told she should be on 3 meals a day. I think alot it is that they are in a rush to get babies into our food routine so we are not 'put out ' by them , and we can have our life back ! personally i feel if this is how you want it get a cat not a baby. As long as baby is looking healthy not losing weight & alert shes obviously doing fine .

Not just my hv's dishing out crap advise then! I agree - get a cat or something if you cant be bothered!

It reminds me of something my husbands mate said to me the other week. His wife had their baby 8 week ago he asked me what formula bethany was on. I said i :boob: and he said oh we weighed up the pro's and cons of it and decided it wasnt for us because with ff they can share the night feeds and his wife doesnt have to be stuck to baby 24/7!!!!!! affraid I said no offense but the reason we had the baby was not because we wanted to palm her off on people and that as far as i was concerned bf only has pro's! Adam had to interupt or we would have had a big arguement cos i dont like his mate anyway! lol
Helen

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:46 pm

:haha: i like your attitudes! theres some stupid people out theere annd unfortunately some of them seem to be hv or drs!
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahW on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:39 pm

Here Here. There is some very ignorant and rude people out there. As for HV how disgusting is she. Well done for sticking to your guns. Booby = Happy Baby.
SarahW

Female Number of posts : 585
Tell us about yourself : About you:Mummy to 5.(3 Boys and 2 Girls) and step mum to 3 Girls.Youngest baby born 20th April 2009.
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by just Rachel on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:50 pm

You stood your ground and spoke up for yourself. Well done.
just Rachel

Female Number of posts : 1165
Tell us about yourself : About you: I love life and laugh at everything.
Your mood today : Naughty
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2007-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:14 pm

Well done you - Another crap HV and another well informed mummy thanks to Forum. cheers

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:30 am

She needs reporting, that is disgusting!

Well done for sticking up for yourself hun!

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top