Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Help Please

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Help Please

Post by SarahW on Mon May 12, 2008 7:16 pm

Just wondering if any of you lovely ladies can give me some advice really. Cos when i feed mollie she will be guzzling from one breast and the milk will be pouring from the other. Will this ever settle down or do me and mollie need to buy life jackets and armbands (Swim for your Life) I leak through everything. Even tried cutting up an always ultra and putting half in each side of my bra. Not great but seems to work better than breast pads. This is the longest i've ever breastfed for so quite shocked that i'm producing this much milk. Appreciate your experiences/suggestions/advice cheers
SarahW

Female Number of posts : 585
Tell us about yourself : About you:Mummy to 5.(3 Boys and 2 Girls) and step mum to 3 Girls.Youngest baby born 20th April 2009.
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Back to top Go down

default Re: Help Please

Post by kay on Mon May 12, 2008 7:32 pm

My supply settled when Corey was about 6 weeks - but i wasnt as bad as you!
Mine were mainly leaking overnight - to the extent of changing bedding daily! Embarassed

I dont leak at all now - i havent worn a breast pad for weeks, but then some ladies on here are still wearing pads daily past 1 year of feeding!

Hopefully someone with a little more experience will be along soon :aww:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Mon May 12, 2008 7:32 pm

oh dear.

It will settle down. :aww:

But...it might take you - like it did me- 16 months to do so lol!

No honestly: supply is usually established around 6-8 weeks post delivery, so most mums fond around this time things settle down. Some find that they produce more/ leak when baby hit's grow spurt.
And some mums leak always Rolling Eyes like I do.
I've just about to stop using breast pads. My letdown is still strong and I still have a lot of milk- we bf just the same as when Maya was 6 months. Still leak on occasion here and there, just I'm at point where I really don't care Wink

My advice: stick to good breastpads and comfy bra! I love cloth breastpads form Mothercare (got them on ebay- save's a lot of money Wink )

HTH Wink
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by nichola on Mon May 12, 2008 9:43 pm

:aww: it will settle down.

Have you got any breastshells? My friend used to leak alot when she was feeding and used breast shells to collect the milk she leaked from the breast the baby wasn't feeding from then put it in the fridge in a strerile container. Then at the end of the day freeze what she had collected.

When it does settle down don't worry that you then haven't got enough milk it will just be your body adjusting.

Can Mollie cope ok with the fast flow?

Nichola x

nichola
BreastBuddies
BreastBuddies

Number of posts : 169
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by just Rachel on Tue May 13, 2008 6:30 am

This used to happen during my first 6 weeks. It is quite common so do not worry.

After about 6 weeks your breasts will really soften and not feel as heavy. When this happened to me I thought my milk had dissapeared. It is your body adjusting to BF.

I rarely leak these days and no longer need to use breast pads.
just Rachel

Female Number of posts : 1165
Tell us about yourself : About you: I love life and laugh at everything.
Your mood today : Naughty
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2007-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy on Tue May 13, 2008 8:47 am

Oh i remember the really heavy leaky boobs, especially if i'd roll over at night and lie on one the pressure would empty my boob, i have used tommee tippee pads which are good people here have recommended a silicone shell that you reuse they are called lilypadz. It will ease.
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jools on Tue May 13, 2008 11:52 am

I remember this well too! It all calmed down once Brody was a few months old! :aww:
jools

Female Number of posts : 2601
Thanks and Reputation points : 12
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahW on Tue May 13, 2008 1:13 pm

nichola wrote::aww: it will settle down.

Have you got any breastshells? My friend used to leak alot when she was feeding and used breast shells to collect the milk she leaked from the breast the baby wasn't feeding from then put it in the fridge in a strerile container. Then at the end of the day freeze what she had collected.

When it does settle down don't worry that you then haven't got enough milk it will just be your body adjusting.

Can Mollie cope ok with the fast flow?

Nichola x

She seems to cope quite well considering her age. She sometimes has to take a few big gulps til the flow settles down abit, or she ends up with loads of milk coming back out of her mouth as she feeds. Not too worried about this though cos she piling weight on, she going to be weighed again tommorrow, but had up to last week already gained 24oz in 3weeks.
SarahW

Female Number of posts : 585
Tell us about yourself : About you:Mummy to 5.(3 Boys and 2 Girls) and step mum to 3 Girls.Youngest baby born 20th April 2009.
Your mood today : Tired
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by nichola on Tue May 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Glad she is doing ok.

Sometimes over supply is more of a laundry problem than anything else!

I hope it settles down for you soon.

Nichola x

nichola
BreastBuddies
BreastBuddies

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content