Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Does anyone else think listing 'cons' as BF is WRONG?...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Does anyone else think listing 'cons' as BF is WRONG?...

Post by Lait d Amour on Mon May 05, 2008 9:37 am

Lait d Amour

Female Number of posts : 85
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-01-09

http://www.laitdamour.eu

Back to top Go down

default Re: Does anyone else think listing 'cons' as BF is WRONG?...

Post by emmiesmummy on Mon May 05, 2008 10:48 am

:omg!: what a load of cr*p....sorry but talk about putting us back. Basically they are saying be selfish have fags & booze & you dont want to have to put yourself out being main provider for your baby.......I for one love that I put my baby before any selfiush needs. If you cant bear the thought of going without for them what kind of parent are you likely to turn out like.....oh thats made me Mad
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Lait d Amour on Mon May 05, 2008 10:51 am

Just got this message:

The contact email for netmums is

contactus@netmums.com

but then they are sponsored by Nestle so what do you expect!

http://www.babymilkaction.org/press/press11may07.html
Lait d Amour

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Mon May 05, 2008 12:12 pm

Evil or Very Mad Don't get me started on Nestle Evil or Very Mad We have long going feud Nestle and I, lol.
And shame on you Netmums.
Gonna email them, hehe Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Oh, you mind if I forward this further (like to yahoo groups, etc?)?
Kasia80

Female Number of posts : 4575
Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"
Thanks and Reputation points : 20
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Lait d Amour on Mon May 05, 2008 12:36 pm

Go ahead! Smile

Comments:

Dear Netmums

I was very disappointed to read the above article this morning on Feeding Baby regarding the pros and cons of breastfeeding or bottlefeeding. I realise this is a very debatable topic however this article is not at all balanced. The cons that have been listed for breastfeeding are not ‘fact’ and are very subjective. There is really no reason to actually list any cons to breastfeeding.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email and I do hope you will amend the article to redress the balance.
Lait d Amour

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Mon May 05, 2008 12:43 pm

Disgusting! I have already sent complaints about them to baby milk action, looks like there will be another Evil or Very Mad

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lait d Amour on Tue May 06, 2008 1:26 pm

There have been a number of complaints. I have just forwarded the La Lech director their reply, which was...

Hi Mandy

Thanks for getting intouch with your feedback, I have passed your comments onto the editorial team.

The articles on the site were written by a La Leche trained peer counsellor in conjunction with a formula feeding mum. We have to show an unbiased, non-judgemental point of view which unfortunately won't/can't make everyone happy as this is one subject that everyone tends to feel strongly about with regards to their own personal decision.

The support we offer on our website has helped hundreds of mums happily feed their babies no matter what choice they've made.

If you would like to discuss/dispute any specific point then please do let me know and I am happy to discuss the matter further.

Kind Regards

Zoe

www.netmums.com
Lait d Amour

Back to top Go down

Post by Lait d Amour on Tue May 06, 2008 1:28 pm

YAY! They have removed it!
Lait d Amour

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Tue May 06, 2008 1:36 pm

Brilliant!
Power to the people! and to :boob:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Tue May 06, 2008 5:38 pm

:boob: Well done!!

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Wed May 07, 2008 8:53 am

I got few emails back from them, first saying that it was hard decission. So ( because Kay made me Wink ) I've asked why it was a hard decission, because it is not for me and this is what I got back:

Posted to all our members by one of Netmums co-founders on the 16th May 2007

Netmums has accepted a 6 month advert from Nescafe for their new Half Caff Coffee. For those of you who boycott Nestle and are unhappy about this, please take a moment to read about some of the reasons for our decision.

Netmums is all about supporting mums through lonely times and connecting people with their communities. Our biggest raison d'etre and how we really came into existence is the battle against post natal depression and providing and fighting for more support for mums with pnd - based initially on personal experience, and now backed up by our own research that shows what a huge number of hidden sufferers there are. Just on the Coffee House forum alone (where the Nescafe Coffee ad appears) we employ moderators, support workers and counsellors (as well as staff running the local sites providing information and support at local level and joining mums up with the support services in their areas).

Despite heartfelt and continuing attempts we receive no government funding whatever and we have therefore had to choose to take a commercial route to maintain our existence. Advertising revenue is currently our only income stream. Taking advertising enables us to fund our staff (on the minimum wage and working from home on their own PCs) and reach out to more mums - Netmums got too big to be completely run by volunteers as when we started - there's just too much boring inputting, and skilled counselling needed. Our people are not only making sure that mums find out, for free, about all the local services that are there to help, but they are providing, for free, advertising for charities that support families to help them raise much-needed funds. And while we help thousands of mums to cope with everyday issues, we do see the extremes and the fact we are literally saving lives - the support and counselling we are able to give mums on the Coffee House is so very important to us. And therefore so is the ability to fund our work important to us.

In making this particular decision to run a Nescafe coffee advert, we have compared ourselves with other commercial media organisations within our sector who using the advertising income scream model. All the parenting magazines and women’s magazines (mostly owned by National Magazine Company Natmags or IPC Media) accept advertising from all
Nestle products. Most websites accept advertising from formula milk companies as well as other Nestle products. Indeed, if you look at Practical Parenting website or Mother and Baby Magazine website you will see they are currently running very prominent advertising from Milupa. Other major women’s websites such as ivillage.co.uk take advertising from Nestle and in particular, last year they were the main website hosting the online Trinny and Susannah Nescafe Makeover tool. GMTV are currently sponsored by Nestle Cereals and all the supermarket magazines accept advertising from Nestle products and so on.

This is the market place in which we operate and it is impossible for us to survive in the marketplace if we set impossible standards for ourselves and if we set ourselves up as the only medium who fights every battle. The battle against the
Nestle corporation is important to some people, but sadly at Netmums we fight so many battles and this is one that we've not taken up as yet.

We do have an advertising policy. It says that we won't advertise formula milk - which meant that 2 years ago we turned down a large sum of money from Milupa. We actively support breastfeeding, and maybe you'll have seen that we've
been promoting the breastfeeding manifesto and support that. And we have a breastfeeding support board on our coffee house moderated by a trained breastfeeding counsellor

As an interesting aside, when we took sponsorship from Nick Jr TV we were criticised for supporting TV channels that take advertising from junk food companies. But we have worked with them now for three years and during that time, we have also campaigned hard against junk food advertising and were quoted by Ofcom as having been a voice of parents in the consultation period during which it was decided that junk food advertising cannot be run on TV during daytime hours.
We were also criticised for taking advertising from Huggies disposable nappies, but at the same time we are able to promote reusable nappies and give nappy consultants a place to promote awareness of their business at a local level. So taking the advert does not impact on our editorial freedom.

As a by product of accepting this advert, we have enabled a discussion to take place on our forum, raising awareness of the debate and allowing members to have their say and put their viewpoint across so people can make their own choice. We have published a statement from Baby Milk Action (who haven't advocated boycotting Netmums) and providing access to someone senior at
Nestle for people who want to protest.

There's a link to the statement from Baby Milk action which we are hosting on Netmums, here www.netmums.com/lc/bma_statement.htm

And one to what
Nestle said which includes the contact details here http://www.netmums.com/lc/nescafe_statement.htm

We do genuinely run Netmums because we want to make life better. We have to take some tough decisions, and I'm truly sorry if this is a decision you can't support.

With all best wishes

Siobhan Freegard

And just a second ago or so I've got another message form them:

Hi Katie

I was just about to email you! Lol

I have spoken to the directors about your concerns with Nestle and as the contract we had with them was for 6 months only and finished quite a while ago we should have no connection on Netmums sites now so if you would like to let me know how or where you found a link or what raised your concerns we can make sure that is addresses.

Thanks Again

Zoe

I congratulated them on good choice and advised to contact baby milk action .

But girls: we can make difference cheers

I must admit: they responded very fast to my emails and in honest, polite and informative manner. I appreciate this.
Kasia80

Tell us about yourself : \"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual, then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo\"

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Wed May 07, 2008 12:17 pm

At the end of the day all this work into informing mothers about the benefits of breastfeeding are being mocked or made to be seen as not being better than formula!

So many times I see it, from adverts to other baby websites, why are people afraid to speak the truth!

Fact: Breastfeeding is and will always be the best for your child!! Formula is not "as good" and never will be.

END OF!!!

All this trying to be sympathetic to bottle feeding mums I am sick of, yes some have so many problems and feel that they can't cope and have inadequate support, I feel very sorry for them!! :tear: if it wasnt due to the lack of support because the dick head hvs are still in the 70s when bottle feeding was great, so many more would be able to succesfully breastfeed!

But for the ones who say "it turns my stomach", “yuk” or no chance because “I don’t feel like it"

I do not feel sorry for at all!! And these are the ones people have been pandering too!

They are always the ones who are quick to jump on the discrimination band wagon and cause trouble.

It has to stop!

The health of our children is being jeopardized for a night out or because they didn't feel like it, and advertisers are making out that they are in the right to choose to formula feed too.
Especialy with this stupid advert making out that the follow on milk is the best thing after breastfeeding, it fooking isn’t!!

Very Very clever marketing I must say!!

Fair play to netmums though for sorting this out, my veiws about them were starting to slip, but I have changed my mind and I am happy they have done this!

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Lait d Amour on Wed May 07, 2008 12:44 pm

I got that message too, and this...

Here is the original statement from Nestle if that helps
http://www.netmums.com/lc/nescafe_statement.htm

And this is a copy of the message one of our founders has put on the Coffee house.

Hi Girls
Today our nescafe half caff advert goes live on netmums. As you know, nescafe is owned by nestle who are the subject of a boycott by baby milk action.
We thought long and hard before accepting this and decided that we would because:
Nescafe is a coffee advertised in every magazine, paper and tv channel
even GMTV weather is sponsored by Nestle Whole Grain
It is sold by every supermarket, garage and corner shop
Nestle still arent whiter then white but neither are loads of other big organisations (nike sweatshops etc)..and I dont think netmums can always be the final frontier - we are doing so much good on ground level but it does need to be financed - we have quite a big monthly salary bill and techy costs now. So, I'm rambling but getting my thoughts process in order cos some members arent going to understand. Any way here is our ad policy...and if you get any problems/queries please direct them to me on siobhan@netmums.com

Sorry about this! its a very hard situation...I guess its a case of "let those of us who are without sin throw the first stone"! eg i use nescafe, eat kitkats and dont always buy fair trade bananas!

Advertising Policy

Netmums is a social enterprise, working to support families in their communities.

In the absence of social funding, revenue to pay for the costs of running of the network comes from corporate and local advertising. Netmums ensures that the promotions it accepts are relevant to parents and fit appropriately within the Netmums website.

Netmums is concerned about the health and welfare of children and works hard to campaign on issues around parental support, flexible working, postnatal depression and junk food and will not take advertising that conflicts with these campaigns.

Netmums does not accept advertising of medicinal or weight-loss products.

Netmums defines acceptable advertising by product and not by corporation.

Netmums cannot vet the detailed social and environmental record of all products, brands, and corporations, but expects brands to have a good record on environmental and employment issues, good customer relations and to be family-friendly.

Hope that helps. Any more quiries please feel free to email Siobhan.
x

Best wishes

Lucy Cusack
Local Editor.
Lait d Amour

Back to top Go down

Post by Lait d Amour on Wed May 07, 2008 12:47 pm

Everyone sells it lol. So if everone else stuck their head in an oven they would follow suit lol
Lait d Amour

Back to top Go down

Post by Lait d Amour on Wed May 07, 2008 12:48 pm

Anyhow, well done girls. Smile

"If you think you're too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito.” African Proverb
Lait d Amour

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Wed May 07, 2008 12:54 pm

Thus, on a more personal note, I, too, gave my daughters infant formula when I returned to work on completion of my statutory paid maternity leave. It is this band of ever-increasing working mothers in the developing world, like myself, for whom infant formula is available as an alternative. This is why infant formula is still a valid and important product today, and it is why we continue to sell it throughout the world.
We, at Nestlé, believe it is time to move on from confrontation about infant formula to a more constructive agenda that helps educate women about the benefits of exclusive breast-feeding and the dangers of adding unsuitable foods to their babies’ diets
Razz Is this a wind up!
A valid and important product! well we must advertise it then, it will help me go back to work Rolling Eyes

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Lait d Amour on Wed May 07, 2008 1:48 pm

Crazy aint it ! When is this years Nesle protest in Croydon, anyone know? Must be coming up soon...
Lait d Amour

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen on Wed May 07, 2008 2:10 pm

i think its 17th may i'll just check because i read it somewhere today...
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasia80 on Wed May 07, 2008 2:20 pm

Lait d Amour wrote:Everyone sells it lol. So if everone else stuck their head in an oven they would follow suit lol

EXACTLY!

I did give my son ff since he was 8 weeks old- and just because I thought it is as good as breastmilk- because this I was made to believe with all closer to breastmilk, etc etc statements. I do not want anyone to do this mistake again: I'm glad and reliefed John did turn around like he did- healthy and cheerful (he is a pain in a bum thou Wink ) but it could have go very wrong for us- and does for many mums and kind.
Kasia80

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Wed May 07, 2008 5:37 pm

:aww:

Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Wed May 07, 2008 8:14 pm

You all know me by now, and I am very passionate about breastfeeding, and I absolutely adore it - which makes it so difficult for me because I didnt succeed at BF Jamie and Tyler.
It wasnt that I didnt want to, I tried with both, but had no help or support, my milk didnt come in, and i basically had no clue at all what i was doing. The MWs and HVs were shite - their advice was 'its easier to give them a bottle'. So in the end i did.
I think with the correct knowledge and support i would have succeeded, but it wasnt there and didnt happen.
I also feel that because formula was so readily available, and an 'easier' alternative at the time, it seemed like the right thing to do.

My one consolation is that i truly believe if i had BF Jamie, I wouldnt have conceived Tyler.

My problem now is that I have such a good bond / relationship with Corey, and love the BF so much, i really resent the fact i didnt have this same BF relationship with the other 2. I read all of these posts and want to cry - in fact i am now lol - because i now feel that i havent given them the best start, that i have given Corey an advantage they dont have, etc etc etc.
I know from this time round that breast is best, in every single sense - there is absolutely no negative side to it. But it doesnt and cant alter the fact that i am a mother who has formula fed her children. It doesnt mean i condone or agree with formula, but it seemed like the only option i had at the time as i struggled so much to BF.
And i dont want to be made to feel like a bad mum because of this, but i do :tear:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 on Wed May 07, 2008 9:04 pm

awwwwwwwwwwwww kay your not a bad mother at all. :aww: :aww: :aww: you did all you could for your older boys at the time am sure that they have a brilliant bond with you too yeah i think breast is beast too but if you carnt feed you carnt feed you shouldn't beat your self up about it. they look v happy healthy and loved your a great mum kay please dont feel sad :aww: have a kiss and a love form Niamh too lol (she is in bed tho but am sure ahe would love to send it. lol)

Last edited by piesmummy2006 on Wed May 07, 2008 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Lait d Amour on Wed May 07, 2008 9:05 pm

You didn't get the 'right' support babes, please don't feel resentful. You have 3 lovely children. x

Formula advertising makes me cross! I saw an example of this in a supermarket once at the end of an isle, packed full of tins on a special offer!
Lait d Amour

Back to top Go down

Post by emmiesmummy on Wed May 07, 2008 9:27 pm

:group hug: Oh Kay,we are so similar. I also have 3 children & i admit the first 2 were bottle fed for all the same reasons youv'e mentioned, I also worry alot about my 5 year old son & often say how he has missed out so much & feel i let him down & didnt try hard enough & yes my bond with Emily is much stronger than it was with the others which makes me Sad . My eldest gives me some hope she is now 20 & is extremely health happy & contented young woman. We must try and focus on how lucky we have been to succeed this time rather than on our regrets from the past. Its funny but i have noticed that on many of these type of sites those looking for help desperate to :boob: are often 2nd 3rd time mums,i think on your 1st you DO expect :boob: to just happen & when there are problems its easy to think you cant do it & your harming your baby as they must be sooo hungry. What we need is more guidance when we are pregnant showing that actually it doesnt come naturally to all women & yes it can be difficult at times but once you get through those first couple of months the benefits are endless. So no more :cryyy: we ,thanks to breast buddies have managed to :boob: so lets feel PROUD xxxx
emmiesmummy

Female Number of posts : 1131
Tell us about yourself : Mum to Tara (22) James (8 ) &baby Emily whos 2
Thanks and Reputation points : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Thu May 08, 2008 7:34 am

:group hug: Thanks ladies, i do feel better this morning, and its nice to feel there is support reather than being frowned upon because i FF my 1st 2.
Emmiesmummy - you talk very good sense, thankyou!

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top