Breast Buddies Natural Parenting And Breastfeeding Support Forum. Attachment Parenting
Welcome to Breast Buddies. Friendly breastfeeding forum to help mothers and mothers to be.
Login or sign up today!

Breastfeeding tip : Recognising a growth spurt

* You feel as though you haven't got enough
* Baby getting upset at the breast (though can be a sign of other common problems)
* Baby is breastfeeding often or almost nonstop (feel like baby is always wanting to feed)
* A baby who was previously sleeping through the night is now waking to breast feed several times
* Baby will latch and unlatch, fussing in between

Please join today for support and advice.

To get rid of the ads please join free today! Smile

Hello, small baby and the odd bad day

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Hello, small baby and the odd bad day

Post by mollyh on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:59 pm

Hello,

My name is Molly and and I have a 6 week old baby boy. He was 5lb 10 at birth and was in SCBU for a week after with an infection. He is fine now but I think that as he is small I am obsessed by his weight., He is now 7lb 13 which is great.

I breastfeed him totally but just recently he has been refusing to feed properly off my left breast. He is OK on the right and feeds well but I worry he is not getting enough. He will take the left sometimes but I do get stressed at each feeding as I just don't know which way he is going to go. I find it a shame that I can't look forward to feeding with confidence and just thought I would pop along to this forum to let off steam.

Noone really tells you that breastfeeding can be tricky, I just want to do the best for my little boy and get him up in weight as possible.

I also worried as I don't ooze milk at the very sight of him and my breasts don't always feel very full.

Anyway sorry for the rant. Will pop around the forum soon.

Love
Molly

mollyh

Number of posts : 4
Tell us about yourself : About you:
Thanks and Reputation points : 0
Registration date : 2008-02-18

Back to top Go down

default Re: Hello, small baby and the odd bad day

Post by Natasha on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:12 pm

Very Happy First of all Well done!!!!

Welcome to the forum Molly!!

:aww:

You have done brilliantly!

From what you are describing it sounds like something myself and others have felt and worried about too, and yes your right noone tells you how tricky it can be!

I breastfeed him totally but just recently he has been refusing to feed properly off my left breast. He is OK on the right and feeds well but I worry he is not getting enough. He will take the left sometimes but I do get stressed at each feeding as I just don't know which way he is going to go.

First of all this is very common, Oli didn't like one breast very much as it was the smaller one and no matter what I did she wouldn't take it as much.

Have you tried a football hold on that side?

http://z.about.com/d/pregnancy/1/0/n/C/bfbfootball.jpg

Give that a try and he might take the side he doesn't usualy like.

I never oozed milk, only ever felt full when Oli started missing feeds and the day my milk came it, that was it, so please don't think that you can't give him enough because of that.

I didn't really look forward to it when I first started, it was so alien and my nipples hurt so much, I can totaly understand how you feel.

Just know that you are doing everything you can, your doing the best you can for your child and if you keep feeding on demand you can't go far wrong!

Well done!!

:aww:

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mollyh on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:19 pm

Thanks very much for that, I will try the football hold and see how that goes. I am sure things will settle down eventually.

There seem to be so many myths around feeding that is hard to know when you are doing a good job!

This forum is great and so reasuring to find it! I have read so many interesting posts and read some really inspiring stories it just makes me more sure I want to carry on.

I will keep on and hopefully the good feeds will out number the bad ones eventually.

I'll be around and about on the forum but have to go now as he needs feeding...

Thanks
Molly

mollyh

Back to top Go down

Post by Natasha on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:21 pm

:aww: Oh they will out way I promince, just give it time.

Yes there are so many great women on here who have been through similar things.

Good luck and looking forward to chatting with you Molly.

Take care x

Breastfed Lottie for nearly two years and Livi for 13 months.
Natasha
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 6312
Tell us about yourself : Breastfed Olivia for 13 months and planning to breastfeed Lottie for longer ;-)
Your mood today : Tired
Thanks and Reputation points : 61
Registration date : 2007-07-05

http://breastbuddies.nice-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by piesmummy2006 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:33 pm

hi welcome to bb!

sounds like your doing a great job! it is hard to feed at first but gets easier, my little girl was the same but keep offering that side or it will dry up like mine did (from about 5 months i only had use of one breast) the good feeds will sale past the bad ones you'll see. look forward to chatting more too! xxx

Last edited by piesmummy2006 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
piesmummy2006

Female Number of posts : 2089
Tell us about yourself : i would say i am a yummy mummy to Niamh nearly 2 (who i am still breast feeding), and a childrens student nurse!!!!!
Your mood today : Naughty
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by just Rachel on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:14 pm

Hello and welcome :wave: I have found these girls to be really friendly and full of great advice.
just Rachel

Female Number of posts : 1165
Tell us about yourself : About you: I love life and laugh at everything.
Your mood today : Naughty
Thanks and Reputation points : 4
Registration date : 2007-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by angpixi on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:36 am

hello and welcome to the forum, you sound like youre doing well already but youve definately come to the right place for reassurance and advice. im bf my fifth ands still come on here to ask the other girls advice ansd opinions! all my babies have preferred one breast too in fact ive one a size bigger than the other at the moment! (just to reassure you it does go back to normal when i stop). things will settle eventually but sdo come ansd ask whenever you have any niggles or questions or even just for the company!!! hope to speak soon :aww:
angpixi

Female Number of posts : 2109
Tell us about yourself : About you: Im a mum of 5 amazing kids who im very proud of! ive bf and co-slept all of them! im still co- sleeping with the 2 youngest, my oldest is neary 19. Here to help Smile
Your mood today : Funny
Thanks and Reputation points : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Helen on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:22 pm

welcome Hiya! Welcome to u and baby. Sounds like your doing a brill job - you'll love this forum everyones so helpful and give brilliant advice! dont no what i'd have done without them all! My little girl bethany is 10wk 1 day and she seems to prefer my right breast too. I have a right little struggle off her sometimes when i'm feedig with my left but i just keep trying different positions (like rugby ball hold) and she usually settles into it! xxxxxxxxx
Helen

Female Number of posts : 1782
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to Bethany who is 3 years old now and weaned herself off the boob at 2. And my little boy Thomas who has just turned 1. I'm loving breastfeeding all over again Smile
Your mood today : Happy
Thanks and Reputation points : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by kay on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:59 pm

:wave: Hi Molly, welcome to Breastbuddies!

Congratulations on doing so well, you will find so much support an encouragement here :aww:

kay
Breast Buddies
Breast Buddies

Female Number of posts : 5435
Tell us about yourself : Mummy to 4 beautiful boys!
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 41
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ldnug on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Hello and welcome - sounds like you are doing great.

I had to use the football hold for a few weeks and then my LO accepted my right side in the 'normal' hold.

Everyone is very supportive here :aww:
ldnug

Female Number of posts : 1481
Tell us about yourself : Lisa mum to Connor almost 5 and Emily 2 years and 3 months
Your mood today : Cheeky
Thanks and Reputation points : 9
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by mollyh on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:22 pm

Hello

Thanks all of you for all your support. We had a better day yesterday and he was pretty good on the bad side. I am quite firm with him and don't let him come off until I am sure he has had a long enough time to stimulate the breast. I am hoping that regular sucking will encourage the supply.

I have also got a pump but I don't seem to be able to get anything off it, I will have a look at the forum for more advice on this.

Good to know that not everyone has flowing breasts! After 7 weeks I am sure it is Ok, but just sometimes you lose a bit of confidence.

FYI, I am taking Fenugreek and this has increased my milk supply. Maybe it's a placebo?

mollyh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top